Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we really have any holding midfielders? I don't rank Gana or McCarthy in that role, only Morgan and he's been badly gash.

What is Gana if he isn't a holding midfielder, though?

He is poor as a box-to-box player, and playing that role negates the main part of his game which is screening the defence. He is superb at that role, hence, he's a holding midfielder.

He hasn't been stripped of the 7 shirt, matey. Coutinho is wearing 14 :)

I do think he'll be off, though. And yes, if he's available would like to see us try. Doesn't really solve our lack of pace/ageing players issue, though.
William Balague suggested the other day that Turan had declined so much that he wasn’t fit for EPL.

Yep, that midfield has a mix of everything.

Ultimately it can't be played in every game.

I do think though, if McCarthy stays fit and Gana too (we don't know how bad his injury actually is), then Gana-Rooney-McCarthy can be a good midfield to play against the stronger sides or away, and at home against sides we should have more of the ball, Gana-Davies-Rooney.

That midfield has energy in Gana, who can pretty much cover the entirety of the pitch in front of the defence.

A playmaker in Rooney, who is so much better receiving the ball while he is facing goal.

And a box-to-box player to engage a high press and make runs beyond the attack.

However, it does lack height/physical presence.

Playing with a three like that does mean that Sigurdsson has to play out on the left though, when playing as the number 10 is his best position

Agree. Gana is an elite ball winning defensive mid. Keep him there.

My concern is that McCarthy is not a good enough box to box guy, either. He's also more of a DM or a 6. Wants to hold the ball, pass it backwards and sideways. Davies is a bit better, runs with it, but he's almost better playing the creative final ball. McCarthy to me would be Gana's backup or partner if we played two DMs. Doucoure is MUCH better than either. He gets the ball and he's gone. We really don't have that player, although we've asked Gana to play it. Rooney roams around and can play it a bit. But you put Bolaisse wide, Siggy, Rooney, and Tosun who has good movement out there with Doucoure to move the ball quickly and efficiently, you've changed our team.

But again, if your left mid is covering for your left back for 90 minutes, no number 8 is going to have as many options as they should.

The thing with McCarthy is he pushes up the pitch when we're defending. With him in we defend 5-10 yards higher. Look at the game the other night for an example of that.

Doucoure definitely has that extra quality on the ball though, yes.

Playing with a three like that does mean that Sigurdsson has to play out on the left though, when playing as the number 10 is his best position

That's true, but it's why a left-back who is

a) willing to get forward
b) willing to use his left foot
c) not Martina

is so crucial, mate.

That gives Sigurdsson the freedom to cut inside then. Defensively Gyfli does a great job of tracking, but if - when we're going forward - he doesn't always have to be out wide, because there's a player overlapping, then he suddenly gets the entire final third to operate in.

See his goal vs Swansea.

Davies drives forward a bit, gives it Rooney, who feeds Gylfi.

For once Martina had made a good run forward and that took a defender with him. That allows Gylfi that 5-10 yards to drive into before getting his shot off.

He is poor as a box-to-box player, and playing that role negates the main part of his game which is screening the defence. He is superb at that role, hence, he's a holding midfielder.

I’ve been wondering about Gana. Great presser of the ball but tends to follow it as well which can take him out of position. I suppose we lack an intelligent CM who can fall into the DM position when Gana’s on the chase.

Yep, that midfield has a mix of everything.

Ultimately it can't be played in every game.

I do think though, if McCarthy stays fit and Gana too (we don't know how bad his injury actually is), then Gana-Rooney-McCarthy can be a good midfield to play against the stronger sides or away, and at home against sides we should have more of the ball, Gana-Davies-Rooney.

That midfield has energy in Gana, who can pretty much cover the entirety of the pitch in front of the defence.

A playmaker in Rooney, who is so much better receiving the ball while he is facing goal.

And a box-to-box player to engage a high press and make runs beyond the attack.

However, it does lack height/physical presence.

Anything to keep Schneiderlin out hte team

Holding is maybe the term that is confusing. He's great at screening the defense and tackling/winning balls. He may not then choose to hold the ball and pass it backwards and sideways like Morgan, but big deal. Half the teams in the league don't want to hold it. Heck, Watford just gives it to Doucoure and off they go.

Actually, that Barry did a great job of it against us for Split.

Fairs Ij.

Tbf, I question Allardyce over a few things but he does tend to be pretty up front about things in terms of transfers - he has been at every club.

I reckon he's decided fully now who needs to go and who he wants in - or the type of players anyway. It's just a case of getting it done.

I think he was loath to lose Ross but as he said himself, the club were resigned to it when he got here.

It explains why we never heard anything about the 'chat and cup of tea' Unsy had with Ross. Evidently, Unsy thought Ross could be swayed and - like some of our fans - believed it was maybe his relationship with Koeman that had turned things sour.

Turns out that Koeman was actually right all along and Ross simply wanted out.
Don’t let @davek see this post

The thing with McCarthy is he pushes up the pitch when we're defending. With him in we defend 5-10 yards higher. Look at the game the other night for an example of that.

Doucoure definitely has that extra quality on the ball though, yes.

That's true. He's aggressive, he'll attack the ball. Just don't see the ability on the offensive end or the pace. He's not a great passer, he doesn't want to move to forward even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back