Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, we’re nowhere near Arsenal; how do we get near them if we buy their bitpart players?

Walcott is 28, we know what he can do already, and it isn’t much. He would be taking a space that is better suited for Lookman or Vlasic to develop in.
Disagree mate, Lookman and Vlasic need time to develop and we need to improve quickly.
To improve quickly we can't wait (and hope) for Lookman and Valsic to become regular 1st team players. If we got Walcott he gives us pace another goal threat and experience, and that is what we need to progress.

A good player who would improve us no end....

Agree the squad is far too big and agree that the deadwood should be moved on.

But i dont understand for the life of me, why we continue to rely on a mediocre right back at best, playing as our 1st choice left back.

Yes i understand that as soon as Baines is fit again he will be back in the team, but the lad is 33 now. Nobody should have expected him to play in every game this season.

We started this season in 4 competitions. You would not expect any player to start in every game, apart from the keeper, let alone a 33 year old left back.

Yet we did.
Bad planning by Koeman and co, completely dropped the ball. Think they got over excited about the money and brought all random players without looking at what we attually needed

Walcott scored 19 goals in all comps last season most from the bench. Like Giroud i wouldn't judge him because Arsenal don't start him, i'm more interested in what he does once he's on the pitch and 19 goals is better than anyone else bar Lukaku in our quad last season.
He wants to make the WC squad so he'd have a point to prove and he can play as a stiker too.
Should we be signing better? probably but will we i very much doubt. Walcott at least is proven in the prem and likely to make an instant impact unlike the Sandro's or Klaasans who look totally out of their depth at the moment.
I think Walcott a very decent player and would improve our squad, which we need to do, you can't just buy world class players because simply they won't come to us at the moment. We gone backwards this season.
We've moaned all season about a lack of pace, Well Walcott gives you that along with Bolasie and makes us a lot more dangerous and with Lookman and Vlasic on the bench gives opposition defenders something to think about.

The reason our wingers spend so long tracking back is because we smash the ball back to the opposition every 5 minutes.

If we had him and Bolasie pinned to their full-backs I can guarantee they wouldn't need to track back as much as their full-backs would be more hesitant to bomb on.

because they are covering our woeful full backs.

The reason we " smash" the ball back to the opposition is because we do not have the option of playing it out of defence because our players are out of position covering our left back.

Every other team in the premier league has the ability to build attacks down their left flank through their left back bar us.

Any manager worth his salt would look at us and tell his forwards to prevent our keeper giving the ball short right or short centrally, thus limiting Pickford to Martina or long to DCL.

What would you do?

Don't sign pace reliant players in their late 20's.

It is a simple rule but one people seem to forget.
Agree as a general rule. But you do get the odd exception like Vardey. Probably a poor example as he's a nob, but you get my drift.

Walcotts a strange one. His pace doesnt seem to have been affected by his numerous injuries.

This.

Always liked him. Won trophies. Scored goals in big games. Played champions league consistently.

And yeah, better than any wide player we've had at the club since Pienaar.

No brainier from me.

If you think about more of the successful times he's had at Arsenal in recent years, I think it's been when he's played as a forward. I agree he'd be a good addition, but he is quite injury prone and a massive confidence player. I'm not turning my nose up but I would have a few reservations. However, he would definitely be an improvement on Kevin 'I think I'm better than I am' Mirallas.

Yeah, we’re nowhere near Arsenal; how do we get near them if we buy their bitpart players?

Walcott is 28, we know what he can do already, and it isn’t much. He would be taking a space that is better suited for Lookman or Vlasic to develop in.

It’s not about if they are bit part players for Arsenal. It’s about if they would improve us.
Walcott certainly would. Losing Lennon and Mirallas and replacing with Walcott is a step forward.

because they are covering our woeful full backs.

The reason we " smash" the ball back to the opposition is because we do not have the option of playing it out of defence because our players are out of position covering our left back.

Every other team in the premier league has the ability to build attacks down their left flank through their left back bar us.

Any manager worth his salt would look at us and tell his forwards to prevent our keeper giving the ball short right or short centrally, thus limiting Pickford to Martina or long to DCL.

What would you do?

I'm not saying we don't have issues elsewhere mate I'm just giving one reason to why our full-backs spend so much time tracking back. If we had even a Kenny clone on the left and a decent centre-mid we could afford to push up and play out from the back more. Holgate is our best CB (in my opinion) but I feel he could actually play holding role.

Gonna be a loco window this 1.

The sell to buy bedwetters are gonna go crazy, despite us having a squad in dire need of a clear out.

its not that, its the way it is done.

why cant we get our new players in first and then dispatch the other out.

we literally have to wait for the payment to land in our bank before actually spending it.

we cant even gamble on getting a player in, before selling. aka barkley and tosun

- Napoli are in pole position to sign Barcelona's out-of-favour forward Gerard Deulofeu, reports Sky Sport Italia's Gianluca Di Marzio, though the Blaugrana will not accept any loan deals for the former Everton star.

Correct me if I am wrong please. I thought I remember hearing somewhere that if Barca sold Deulofeu we would a %. Any truth to that at all?

ESPN in the US is also reporting this.
0.5% of £5m.

remember lads, it takes us an absolute minimum of 2 weeks to get a transfer done.

so we will be very lucky to get anyone else in.

I can only see a last minute loan for some abstract left back.

remember lads, it takes us an absolute minimum of 2 weeks to get a transfer done.

so we will be very lucky to get anyone else in.

I can only see a last minute loan for some abstract left back.
Colin Martin, a Scottish version of Coco Martina. Probably sign him from some team in the Scottish 4th Division with the 50k fee spread out over three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back