Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far we've continued the trend of sell to buy (for the most part)

That being said the squad is too large and perhaps we simply want to cull the squad before bringing others in.

Doesn't explain the lack of links though tbf. Even some jarg ones wouldn't go amiss.

Agree the squad is far too big and agree that the deadwood should be moved on.

But i dont understand for the life of me, why we continue to rely on a mediocre right back at best, playing as our 1st choice left back.

Yes i understand that as soon as Baines is fit again he will be back in the team, but the lad is 33 now. Nobody should have expected him to play in every game this season.

We started this season in 4 competitions. You would not expect any player to start in every game, apart from the keeper, let alone a 33 year old left back.

Yet we did.

Agree the squad is far too big and agree that the deadwood should be moved on.

But i dont understand for the life of me, why we continue to rely on a mediocre right back at best, playing as our 1st choice left back.

Yes i understand that as soon as Baines is fit again he will be back in the team, but the lad is 33 now. Nobody should have expected him to play in every game this season.

We started this season in 4 competitions. You would not expect any player to start in every game, apart from the keeper, let alone a 33 year old left back.

Yet we did.
Shambles top to bottom especially after actually being linked to Kolasinac, then absolutely nothing after.

I blame Koeman.

Walcott is a mere bitpart player. He’s average and would want a huge wage. I don’t want to be mugged for another club’s problem...again.

He's a bit part player for Arsenal, but we are nowhere near Arsenal and it's a bit silly to suggest we currently have anyone better in those positions. Personally, I would prefer we focused more on the defence using that £20m before we went after another forward, but it's nothing other than pure delusion to think Walcott isn't good enough for this current Everton squad based on ability.

Shambles top to bottom especially after actually being linked to Kolasinac, then absolutely nothing after.

I blame Koeman.

Koeman, Walsh and anybody else with half a football brain associated with our club, could see we would struggle in that position if Leighton got an injury.

He's a bit part player for Arsenal, but we are nowhere near Arsenal and it's a bit silly to suggest we currently have anyone better in those positions. Personally, I would prefer we focused more on the defence using that £20m before we went after another forward, but it's nothing other than pure delusion to think Walcott isn't good enough for this current Everton squad based on ability.
Yeah, we’re nowhere near Arsenal; how do we get near them if we buy their bitpart players?

Walcott is 28, we know what he can do already, and it isn’t much. He would be taking a space that is better suited for Lookman or Vlasic to develop in.

I think Niasse could do a good job at Brighton. Theyve got strong wing threats and Glenn Murray who is all about positioning and brains but old and slow. Niasse is the anti Murray.

He would probably run our back 4 ragged and bag a hattrick in the reverse fixture this season if he went to Brighton.

Everton that.

Yeah, we’re nowhere near Arsenal; how do we get near them if we buy their bitpart players?

Walcott is 28, we know what he can do already, and it isn’t much. He would be taking a space that is better suited for Lookman or Vlasic to develop in.

Isn't he the second Arsenal bit part player we have been linked with, chased , this season?

Wonder if his Mrs fancies the bright lights of Scottie Road?

My worry on Walcott is they we don’t have the midfield players to service him. I actually rate him but our wide players seem to spend more time tracking back a very different way of playing than playing wing forward for Arsenal.

The reason our wingers spend so long tracking back is because we smash the ball back to the opposition every 5 minutes.

If we had him and Bolasie pinned to their full-backs I can guarantee they wouldn't need to track back as much as their full-backs would be more hesitant to bomb on.

So far we've continued the trend of sell to buy (for the most part)

That being said the squad is too large and perhaps we simply want to cull the squad before bringing others in.

Doesn't explain the lack of links though tbf. Even some jarg ones wouldn't go amiss.

According to the AGM we've spent £2 for every £1 raised on player sales. Not really sell to buy that.

Walcott scored 19 goals in all comps last season most from the bench. Like Giroud i wouldn't judge him because Arsenal don't start him, i'm more interested in what he does once he's on the pitch and 19 goals is better than anyone else bar Lukaku in our quad last season.
He wants to make the WC squad so he'd have a point to prove and he can play as a stiker too.
Should we be signing better? probably but will we i very much doubt. Walcott at least is proven in the prem and likely to make an instant impact unlike the Sandro's or Klaasans who look totally out of their depth at the moment.

I'm not saying it's a little bit of a balancing act but with the numbers they showed we're certainly shelling out on top of sales (which any club wanting to move forwards should do).
Indeed it is hard to go against any of that.

We need to do more though, seems a tad quiet atm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back