Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

We need to approach this window with the view to buying an entire new defence and strike force.

2 strikers, 2 centre backs, a right back and left back required.

Mee to partner Keane, we know that works at least. Get Giroud in if he’ll come after getting very little game time again.

I’d say the over to you Walsh, but I want you gone long before then.
Not sure we should go for Giroud. There's younger decent CFs around and I don't think we should be spending silly money on players his age. At his age we may only get 6 months and for the money that's not enough.

This window is more important that our next management appointment in my opinion. We could get the best available manager possible but he would still have to get a tune out of a dire set of defenders, midfielders who don't want the ball and a group of strikers who are nowhere near ready to lead a premier league attack. Centre back and left back are vital and I would sign a right back as well, doesn't need to be a stellar name but Kenny is not the answer at all.

I actually think a deep midfield playmaker is needed as well. Of all of the problems this team has right now one of the biggest is that the guy who is supposed to get us playing from the back is Schneiderlin who is hiding on the football pitch, the worst crime a player can commit imo. Look at the possession stats from recent weeks, even Crystal Palace who are renowned for virtually never building possession at all completely dominated us.
I don't want to defend Schneiderlin but with the back 4 behind and Gueye beside him I'm not surprised he is hiding. He is playing without a safety net because he knows he can't rely on those players to move into a position to give him an out ball if he's pressurised.

We need to fix the defence. I actually think Niasse will do until the summer (although we need a target man as an option) but the defence is just awful and given their age I doubt coaching is what they need. They are just finished and it is sad to see.

Forgive me for not being up to date, but what about that Dembele in Celtic? Did we ever make a bid for him, this summer? Is he still any good?

We were intertested and even spoke to the guy that scouted him and helped get him to Celtic. We asked if he was worth a 30m bid and the scout said " yes, without a doubt " after sounding him out and getting advice , we did nothing and tried to sign giroud and Costa

Considering that we seemed to be sailing along quite nicely at one point in the Summer & couldn't get our targets, I just can't imagine anyone wanting to join us now!

I think that no matter who the manager is, its clear we need to add 3 players. CB, LB, and striker. If we can do that, and Coleman and Bolaise can get some of their form back, the second half can be very different from the first. But theres no way you can look at a defense like ours and not replace at least 2 players. Any more than that is asking too much from January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back