Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Ornstein makes this observation in the BBC's report on Walcott having a medical: "Everton run a lengthy medical and therefore it makes sense to get it started while negotiations are ongoing so that if/when agreement is reached the deal can be completed, rather than having to then start the medical."

Apart from being a well boring thing to say, it made me wonder what he means about us running a long medical. Longer than everyone else? Unnecessarily long? Are we keeping players in the waiting room for 35 minutes surrounded by prams and coughing like the doctor's?

You basically go into a long dark room, walk past the skeleton of Mikel Forsell, and then you are tied into a chair. Bill Kenwright then starts hitting your knee with a clawhammer and phones up your club demanding a 30% discount on the agreed fee or it’s all off.

Going to Huddersfield.

Sunderland have won the league 6 times

Newcastle 4. And you must be a canny age if you remember them winning the FA Cup!

Bias against Sunderland I suppose. Newcastle won the Cup three times in the early fifties. We didn't have a tv so we went to my great aunt May's house to watch it (and the Coronation). So I remember all FA Cup finals since 1953.

We will go in for Nzonzi - key to look our for is if Sevilla start being linked with someone who plays in that position, we will move for Shaw as soon as United sign Rose from Spurs, we will grab at least 1 probably 17-22 year old 'punts' from abroad/lower divisions, and will sign a cb (that french bloke).

We will shift on about 7 by deadline day, a few of them late on. (Niasse West Brom/Newcastle, Lennon (Burnley), Lookman (loan - Bournemouth), Sandro (Sevilla/Athletico), Klassen (loan - Ajax), Schneiderlin (West Ham/Saints) and Williams (Swansea)

Mystic Steve strikes...

Not really that much potential mate

Look at Newcastle, much bigger club/better stadium/bigger fan base and there struggling to sell

Major problem with Sunderland is the area is so run down and just a pretty dire place in general

Take your point mate.

It pains me to say it but Newcastle are massively underachieving too. I mean come no disrepect to these teams, but we're much bigger than Burnley, Huddersfield, Brighton, Swansea etc. I honestly think both Sunderland & Newcastle should/could be finishing top-10 as a regular occurrence in the Premiership. Both teams, would comfortably have 40,000 (us or certainly close to 39,000 (50,000 Newcastle) packed stadiums if the team were doing really well. However, I'm not arrogant, Swansea/Huddersfield/Brighton all deserve where they are, and we deserve to be where we are. It doesn't matter how big you are are aren't - It's what you do on the pitch that counts. We've been horrific for years.

You're right about your second point mate. Geographically, we're in a really horrible place. Realistically, none of the top players want to live in the North-East...Can't say I blame them. It puts us at a big disadvantage, when teams like QPR & Sunderland bid for a player, it's obvious who'll come out on top - Frustrating.

Someone is trolling Chelsea badly, Danny Drinkwater, Carroll, Ross all very roped signings in my opinion.

Im sure Antonio is looking to get the sack in the summer.

I see no other reason for his transfer dealings.

I get the English player thing but c'mon.

Im sure Antonio is looking to get the sack in the summer.

I see no other reason for his transfer dealings.

I get the English player thing but c'mon.

Its not him, he has no say and only recently gave an interview moaning about how he never gets the players he askes for due to austerity. None of those will be his signings.

All English tho.

Chelsea only named a 21 player squad last window due to them not having enough HG players.

Seems poor buisness though dropping 50 mill on them though and sending out RLC and Abraham arguably better players and an army of homegrown lids with FA youth cup winners medals on loan.

Something weird going on at Chelsea.

We will go in for Nzonzi - key to look our for is if Sevilla start being linked with someone who plays in that position, we will move for Shaw as soon as United sign Rose from Spurs, we will grab at least 1 probably 17-22 year old 'punts' from abroad/lower divisions, and will sign a cb (that french bloke).

We will shift on about 7 by deadline day, a few of them late on. (Niasse West Brom/Newcastle, Lennon (Burnley), Lookman (loan - Bournemouth), Sandro (Sevilla/Athletico), Klassen (loan - Ajax), Schneiderlin (West Ham/Saints) and Williams (Swansea)

Mystic Steve strikes...

Thanks saves me logging on every few hours but if you even get one of these transfers wrong. :rant:

If Tosun flops for us, what do you think the odds would be that we sign Vincent Janssen in the summer? Would put a few quid on that.

(not trying to turn this into a Summer transfer thread, just thought it was worth putting out there)

I know not a lot will agree with this but I just saw West Ham are supposedly willing to let Andre Ayew go. I'd love to see Ayew and Walcott on either side of Sigurdsson or Rooney with Lookman, Vlasic, and Bolasie competing for the spots and Lennon moved on to where he can get game time. Walcott and Ayew will be coming to the end of their careers as Ademola and Nikola are beginning to enter their primes.

Cue the laughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back