Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baba Rahman from Chelsea on the radar again according to the click bait, plus the Bryan lad from Bristol, although their manager says that there has been no contact whatsoever from any club over him.

From the little I seen of Rahman he did look decent.

Problem is, after last time, I don't trust loaning a Ghanian from Chelsea.

Christian Atsu was Magaye Gueye mk. 2.0

But managers don't just change a winning team. He definitely messed around with it but there must have been something in the background to have caused the change. But agree that we have definitely looked tosh. Wasn't Williams ill for a couple of weeks? Can't remember.

Williams, Holgate & rooney at one point or another were all ill.

The big factor for me was taking Davies out, and moving Gana away from the defensive midfield roll and putting Schneiderlin in there

You make good points.

The problem is you can't trust him for a run of games because he just can't do it. But I'd like to see him, as you say, in a midfield three with him dictating play from in front of two more defensive-minded players, Davies and Gueye again as you suggest.

The problem is Schneiderlin. If he hasn't already done enough to be ousted I don't think he will be. For some reason Allardyce loves him and it's costing us big time. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw Gueye as a sub on Saturday.

On another point, really hoping this appalling showing by Bolasie so far is more down to his general fitness, but again on the weekend he was doing stupid foot/dancing movements instead of playing a simpler and more direct game and I don't think that's got anything to do with fitness, he's just thick.

I don't think he does mate.

I think Sam is playing him as he believes - like I've seen some say on here - that our other midfielder's don't 'hold' their positions well enough. Thing is, Schneiderlin may hold his position, but he pretty much just doesn't move out of it.

He's had two good games for us this season, and he put in the worst display I've seen from a midfielder in a long time the other day. Should be nowhere near our starting XI but I've got no doubt he'll start again next Wednesday.

Aye, I think it's a combination of Bolasie being no where near match fitness (understandable) and also him being a bit thick. Someone needs to get hold of him and tell him just to do the basics. Get that right first and let your sharpness come back naturally.

I'd like to think that's what Big Dunc would do, but tbh I don't know what he offers.

Fair enough Zatman!

I thought he could fit in. I'd seen enough of him to know he was a good player.

I thought if we stuck with our basic 4-3-3 model that Koeman used last year, he'd be ideal for that spare man/box-to-box role to help us score some goals from midfield.

I don't mind admitting I got it wrong.

He can still play that role - that is his best position - but physically he isn't, or hasn't been, up to scratch. Had a decent start but it all went to pot quickly.

Then again, he should at least be given a go in the squad now.
The problem with 433 is it does not allow us to play Schneiderlin and Gana in the same side. Lol.

I seriously cannot understand why we dont utilise 433. The type of player we have, would best suit a 433. Midfield 3 of Siggy, Klaassen and a CDM. Play inside forwards like Koeman did i.e Sandro on left and Walcott on right.. (Lookman/Vlasic) And focus on our real problems i.e a left back and a centre back.

Deluded managers. Both completely and utterly chip fried.

We had the most similar we could get to Dembele in Barkley...

There really aren't that many players like that about.

N'Zonzi for me would represent a real coup. He doesn't rely on pace and his age isn't an issue. He could come and be in his prime for another 2-3 seasons because of the role he plays.
Gotta be honest, i've not watched N'zonzi in Spain but everything i've read suggests he's really progressed over there. I would have said we have far too many midfielders as it is but with McCarthy now out and Schnierlin just useless i wouldn't say no. Still think a LB is top priority as it has been all season.

I'd be happy with nzonzi but I'm guessing since their new boss came in he's now not for sale so that one may be off.

Not sure what's happened with the links to the bayern guy, maybe he's being lined up for the summer instead and we want Bryan/rahman in now as the quick fix. Id be very surprised if we got two left backs in by the summer and wrote off baines. Maybe his injuries are worse than feared.

Gotta be honest, i've not watched N'zonzi in Spain but everything i've read suggests he's really progressed over there. I would have said we have far too many midfielders as it is but with McCarthy now out and Schnierlin just useless i wouldn't say no. Still think a LB is top priority as it has been all season.

He's a class act mate.

Was brilliant for Sevilla last season and my mate who supports them (something to do with one of his hero's as a kid playing for them, I think) raves about how good he was before that under Emery as well.

Would instantly improve our side.

I don't think he does mate.

I think Sam is playing him as he believes - like I've seen some say on here - that our other midfielder's don't 'hold' their positions well enough. Thing is, Schneiderlin may hold his position, but he pretty much just doesn't move out of it.

He's had two good games for us this season, and he put in the worst display I've seen from a midfielder in a long time the other day. Should be nowhere near our starting XI but I've got no doubt he'll start again next Wednesday.

Aye, I think it's a combination of Bolasie being no where near match fitness (understandable) and also him being a bit thick. Someone needs to get hold of him and tell him just to do the basics. Get that right first and let your sharpness come back naturally.

I'd like to think that's what Big Dunc would do, but tbh I don't know what he offers.
Team selections have been random all season. Vlasic suddenly gets a call up, whilst Lookman who changed the game at Anfield doesn't even make the match day squad. I imagine it's tough for young players to give their all when they know it doesn't matter if they play well, chances are they'll be dropped for an under performing player next week.

Team selections have been random all season. Vlasic suddenly gets a call up, whilst Lookman who changed the game at Anfield doesn't even make the match day squad. I imagine it's tough for young players to give their all when they know it doesn't matter if they play well, chances are they'll be dropped for an under performing player next week.

Yep.

But it was the same under Koeman and Unsworth.

The management has in general been abysmal and the one time we had a settled side we headed into Christmas and had to change it.

One of the major flaws since then is that Sam didn't immediately switch back to that winning formula once the busy period ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back