Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch him against Atleti tonight if you get chance.

He was superb for Sevilla against them last week away from home. Controlled their play from deep and got forward when he could.

He was brilliant for them again at the weekend and Montella seems to be really keen to use him.

He's turned into one of the best all-round midfielders in LaLiga. He's very good on the ball, but because he played as a holding player for Stoke he's labelled as a defensive player.

He's not a playmaker in the typical sense but he's more than capable of controlling a game.

That being said, he had Nasri next to him last year and Banega this year to help then probe through defences. But I think we have that player in Rooney.

Nzonzi would bring a lot of what our midfield lacks.
Rooney is finished mate. Dread to think how slow he'll be next season too. Needs throwing in the bin.

I did say all along we shouldn't sign him :eek:

Fair enough Zatman!

I thought he could fit in. I'd seen enough of him to know he was a good player.

I thought if we stuck with our basic 4-3-3 model that Koeman used last year, he'd be ideal for that spare man/box-to-box role to help us score some goals from midfield.

I don't mind admitting I got it wrong.

He can still play that role - that is his best position - but physically he isn't, or hasn't been, up to scratch. Had a decent start but it all went to pot quickly.

Then again, he should at least be given a go in the squad now.

Rooney is finished mate. Dread to think how slow he'll be next season too. Needs throwing in the bin.

Against the best sides/quick sides in midfield, totally.

But against the weaker teams he should be starting in a deep role.

He's our top scorer - without him we'd be in 19th - and he's still our best actual footballer.

He was crap when he came on on Saturday but still played the crucial part in our equaliser.

Also, it's why you have to have a balance.

He's played alongside Gana and Davies in midfield three times and on each occasion we've won those games comfortably. They compliment Rooney as they provide that energy and drive, allowing Rooney to pick up the ball and dictate it.

I did say all along like I didn't know why people were thinking Klaassen was Ross' replacement :D

In the sports package we get through Foxtel we get the Dutch, Italian and the French Leagues, plus all the Europa and Champions League some live, but its on

Watched Klaassen quite a lot when we were linked at first and because Ajax were playing good football, mistake I made was comparing the Dutch and the Premier and thinking he could adapt quickly.

Think he could do with going on loan to a premier league club for the rest of the season, same as Sandro

In the sports package we get through Foxtel we get the Dutch, Italian and the French Leagues, plus all the Europa and Champions League some live, but its on

Watched Klaassen quite a lot when we were linked at first and because Ajax were playing good football, mistake I made was comparing the Dutch and the Premier and thinking he could adapt quickly.

Think he could do with going on loan to a premier league club for the rest of the season, same as Sandro

I did the same mate.

But I knew he was never going to be Barkley's replacement in the sense of a 'playmaker' or someone who can get on the ball and carry us forward.

He was at his best with a playmaker next to him and a holding player behind. He's pretty much a water carrier linking the play with sharp passing and then looking to get in behind the defence.

Evidently, the pace and physicality of the Premier League was way too much for him at first and after a few poor displays in an awful team, his confidence was shot.

never in a million years, i don't think anyone is suggesting we are or would be able to - more folks are just pointing out he is exactly the type of player we are crying out for..... well that and a left back.

We had the most similar we could get to Dembele in Barkley...

There really aren't that many players like that about.

N'Zonzi for me would represent a real coup. He doesn't rely on pace and his age isn't an issue. He could come and be in his prime for another 2-3 seasons because of the role he plays.

I did the same mate.

But I knew he was never going to be Barkley's replacement in the sense of a 'playmaker' or someone who can get on the ball and carry us forward.

He was at his best with a playmaker next to him and a holding player behind. He's pretty much a water carrier linking the play with sharp passing and then looking to get in behind the defence.

Evidently, the pace and physicality of the Premier League was way too much for him at first and after a few poor displays in an awful team, his confidence was shot.

Bet you didn't buy a shirt with his name on it FFS!

Left back...

Back felt...

Back left...

Bat fleck...

Tab fleck...

Flack bet...

Flat beck...

Buy a left back you utter omnishambles of a football club!

Baba Rahman from Chelsea on the radar again according to the click bait, plus the Bryan lad from Bristol, although their manager says that there has been no contact whatsoever from any club over him.

Against the best sides/quick sides in midfield, totally.

But against the weaker teams he should be starting in a deep role.

He's our top scorer - without him we'd be in 19th - and he's still our best actual footballer.

He was crap when he came on on Saturday but still played the crucial part in our equaliser.

Also, it's why you have to have a balance.

He's played alongside Gana and Davies in midfield three times and on each occasion we've won those games comfortably. They compliment Rooney as they provide that energy and drive, allowing Rooney to pick up the ball and dictate it.
You make good points.

The problem is you can't trust him for a run of games because he just can't do it. But I'd like to see him, as you say, in a midfield three with him dictating play from in front of two more defensive-minded players, Davies and Gueye again as you suggest.

The problem is Schneiderlin. If he hasn't already done enough to be ousted I don't think he will be. For some reason Allardyce loves him and it's costing us big time. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw Gueye as a sub on Saturday.

On another point, really hoping this appalling showing by Bolasie so far is more down to his general fitness, but again on the weekend he was doing stupid foot/dancing movements instead of playing a simpler and more direct game and I don't think that's got anything to do with fitness, he's just thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back