Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's why you don't task Gueye with that job.

It's like Koeman asking Williams to be a ball-playing centre-half.

Gueye is good at snapping at players, winning possession and quickly turning it over to someone who can advance the play.

He's looked just fine this season when next to Rooney, who has been able to get on the ball and play us forward, with Davies as the spare man.

It's not rocket science to play people in their correct position.
I find it really bonkers that there is no urgency in our midfield so Gueye tries his best to do a job he doesn't have the vision for. Yet it is he who gets the grief.
if it was up to Schneiderlin, the two CBs would play keep ball between them whilst he hides behind Leon Britton.

Pickford: Hopefully, our number one for years to come.
Stekelenburg: Decent backup, and happy to be there.
Robles: Not sure if he's happy losing his place, so I don't envisage him staying for much longer.

Baines: I love him, but his legs have gone. We need a replacement.
Keane: Awful first season, he looks to have regressed since we've signed him. Not sure about his long-term future.
Williams: Decent backs-to-the-wall defender, but offers literally nothing else. Need to sell.
Jagielka: Past it. Need a replacement.
Martina: Decent backup to Coleman, but god awful left back. Not sure if there's any point in keeping him, seeing as Kenny has come in.
Coleman: £60k FFS.
Holgate: Hot and cold. Looks promising, but I'm not sure he's the sort of player we should be continuing with going forward.
Garbutt: Will be gone in the summer, unless he comes in and does a job.
Kenny: Backup to Coleman.

Schneiderlin: Sell the snidey crab man.
McCarthy: Horrific injury, no chance of a sale.
Gueye: Gone from being boss to being dross.
Sigurdsson: Play him in the middle, ffs.
Klaasen: Not seen enough of him to judge, maybe a loan beckons?
Besic: Sell.
Davies: Regressed.
Vlasic: I think he'd look decent with a proper wingback supporting him.
Baningime: Good little player.
Bolasie: Not fit. Never opts for the simple thing, infuriating to watch.
Rooney: Top goalscorer, but we can't rely on him for too long.
Lookman: A defender's worst nightmare, but needs to work on his distribution.

Walcott: Will he finally reach his potential here? I hope so.
Ramirez: Nothing to show that he's capable of playing at this level. Sell.
Tosun: No comment.
Niasse: Scores goals, but thats it. Keep.
Calvert-Lewin: Limited opportunities here with CT signing, loan move may benefit the lad.

I almost entirely agree

Slight tweaks from me...

No mention of Funes Mori - left-footed so adds balance in defence and a real threat from attacking set pieces but has always made me nervous

Baines - We need a replacement, but I have no issue with him staying and competing for a spot with whoever comes in
Ramirez - I agree I've seen nothing to suggest he'll come good, but unless we need the money, we may as well give him a loan (preferably in The Premier League) and see if a run of games helps him. We can reassess in the summer when (hopefully) a new manager comes in
Niasse - Keep for now, he'd be high on my list to dispense with in the summer
Calvert-Lewin - An injury to Tosun would leave us with only Niasse as a striker. Keep, he's improved a lot this season and he's the only real "target man" we have

Mesa to Sevilla > Besic to Boro > N'Zonzi to us?

Probably not.
I watched seville on Sunday.
Play some tremendous stuff.
Totally battered their opposition, only to concede an injury time equaliser, which was a clear foul on the goalie. They played a very similar style to Man City actually.

I disagree very strongly with that tbh. He is extremely I'll disciplined when sitting deep by himself, and not good enough technically to be useful alongside another crab like Schneiderlein. He needs someone to carry him too, just not to the same extent. I'd rip up our whole 4231 blueprint and get technical players in. Athleticism alone is worthless.

He was our player of the year last season, lukaku when he collected his award mentioned that it went to the wrong guy. I think its his central midfield partner we need to replace, not him.

It's the level where they ended up.Which of our current crop will make it to that level? Lets face it other than Lukaku (the jury is still out on Stones) players we sign go down hill rather than improve.And one of the players you mentioned,preferred lots of time warming Spurs bench rather than join us.
But that has nothing to do with the point being made. The poster was effectively saying it's impossible for us to attract a player who is good enough to both attack and defend in midfield, and can pass the ball with intelligence and accuracy. I'm saying it isn't, because we've done it before, and other clubs have managed to do it too. How good the players in our current squad are is completely irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back