Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we do something like that I can see us being relegated. I like your idea but I'm not sure if that is the way. Hell I don't even know what the way is anymore
We spent 150 million and nearly got dragged into a relegation so makes no odds either way haha

I know there is a risk go what I think yeah, of course there is. But that is the reason I mention early 20s rather than teenagers. For example a dijk going to Southampton, a coutinho, a mane , a saleh from Chelsea etc

If you look at their age when those transfers occurred then it is entirely possible that the squad would improve as a result. We wouldn't get 75 million dijk or x goals salah or whatever but they would be here to develop into those players. And how much would the 4 of them have cost us? Less than siggurdson and as hindsight has shown, the squad would be better for it. I use those examples for them lot as at some point in their careers they did move to known teams, I don't expect this scouting system to find every player in the world but potential for a much cheaper price than proven failures like we have done.

Not all would be succesful either, sandro proving that now. But we can still profit from the deal so we don't lose out .

When the best we can attract is from clubs below us then that suggests the issue has been there despite our recent league result also.

For what it's worth, I said it last year and it's even more true now. This is a perfect time to rip the squad up and start again. Bring in a young ambitious coach in the summer and start a mass exodus of the senior squad. Replace them all with younger players and build upon that. I'm not talking 18 year old year, early 20s, talent that hasn't shone where they are. Look to develop a scouting network that actually scouts players from around the world and develop from there. Yes we aren't going to compete at the top but 150 million less and we haven't exactly improved one bit anyway.

It's the perfect time to do it as well even more so than last year. We have 6-7 young players already at the club we can build a future around and if say at least 5 or so senior players as well. Start from the beginning and develop a strong squad from nothing and then 4-5 years time we can have a team to be proud of and hopefully a manager still who takes us somewhere.

Along the way we will have to sell some of these players sure but for big profit and that is where the development can come into it. Same as them lot, make a massive profit on a player and strengthen with the cash.

But the point is we have a squad of players who mainly are old enough to have experience to be able to play in the team and not old enough that we can plan at least 5 years around the lot of them. Create competition and hopefully we can progress without resorting to throwing 100s of millions away to act like we are big time and then produce seasons like this one
Agree with a lot of what you’ve said mate. We possibly don’t have the funds to start again as such. But I’d like to see an emphasis on the youth getting game time, over senior players for the remainder of the season. For example:
Pickford
Coleman Keane Holgate Kenny
Gana Davies
Bolasie Siguardsson Lookman
Tosun
Why not give this team a go for the remainder of this season, where possible.
Al of these players wil be here next season, why not give them an extended run in the team and allow them to develop as we will be the biggest beneficiaries next season, with the experience they will have gained.

True again though they have CL football to attract those emerging players. It's a lot harder at our level. We needed to look at how Spurs began to bridge the gap. We have to an extent but we've been unimaginative or stupid with our spending in the main. They identified what they needed post moving on many of the Bale funded signings then identified positions in defence and midfield and cleverly recruited. Yes Kane coming through was a break but they have built a strong team with well planned transfers(Ali, Wanyama, Erikson, Son, the Belgian cbs) and they were our level a few years back. We have gone for over priced players from teams below us or foreign buys ill suited to the league and in positions we didn't need as many in. To me it looks as coherant as the Trump Whitehouse, Walsh after bargains, Koeman after what he wanted and Moshiri and Bill after marquee names, you end up with this utter hotchpotch of a squad.

Lennon fee accepted

Lennon new contract inc.

Wasn't he omitted from the squad against the RS?

Defensive winger = SELL!

Forget the likes of keita and VVD we could never have afforded them, but it comes down to good recruitment. Robinson, Gomez, Salah and Matip are all starters for them, yet didn’t even cost a combined 50m.
It makes my blood boil to see in comparison how Koeman and Walsh frittered away the best part of 200m, on players that are frankly not up to the task. There are players out there who will improve us at affordable prices (as they have proved). That is supposedly why Walsh is here, but you couldn’t tell based on what he has brought to the club.

He signed Lookman, Vlasic and DCL mate so a bit of an oxymoron ;)

Also, I think we will be able to get a fair wedge in money back from the players we signed...but need to offload now really.

We need to move for Lemar, Fabinho and Goretzka. Now.

We needed to go for Fabinho 5/6 years ago when I said so :o

Hopefully we're bringing in a top winger and I'd count Walcott as one. His return from a wide position is as good as any.

At the moment weve got
Lennon
Bolasie
Lookman
vlasic
+ Dowell and Onyekuru

Who can play out wide..who would we be moving on as more than 4 wide players is too much let alone 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back