Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
surely we could tempt one of the following left backs to join us:-

1. Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham - 17 years old - beast of a player;
2. Kieran Tierney - Celtic - 20 years old - Captain and has European football experience
3. Joe Bryan - Bristol City - 24 years old - one of the best up and coming English left backs

It's not like we are trying to sign friggin Jordi Alba or Alex Sandro

these are REALISTIC targets that we could surely get in January

I'd like us to play players in their actual positions rather than shoehorning everyone continuously.

Davies has been struggling this season.

His actual position? What position is that? Inside forward seems to me a good position for him. He can play as a box to box, too. Lennon leaving doesn't take his position since he's being replaced by Walcott. If Walcott goes down, Vlasic or Lookman come on, Bolaisse can play both sides, JonJoe can play there if Coleman is back, etc. We have PLENTY of players that can play in wide positions.

His actual position? What position is that? Inside forward seems to me a good position for him. He can play as a box to box, too. Lennon leaving doesn't take his position since he's being replaced by Walcott. If Walcott goes down, Vlasic or Lookman come on, Bolaisse can play both sides, JonJoe can play there if Coleman is back, etc. We have PLENTY of players that can play in wide positions.
Jonjoe has shown us absolutely nothing going forward, playing Coleman right wing would make more sense in my mind and even then we shouldn't be rushing him back.

Siggy at no10, as in the only position he's played well in for us and contributed to our attacking play. He is wasted on the left for example, regardless of whether he can 'do a job there'.

Unfortunately those things are related. The attack is lacking because of the poor LB not because our wingers or other alternatives are bad. Walcott at 120K a week doesn't solve that. Obviously Lennon goes and he's on like 50K, but not sure having two 28 year old wingers with historical knee injuries is the best idea for even short term success.
This is the worry for me. We rely on Gylfi to cover for Martina all the time. If Walcott comes I presume Gylfi will go central so who will cover at LB? Walcott? Bolasie? I don't think so. If we play those two we can't have a passenger for a LB.

2. Kieran Tierney - Celtic - 20 years old - Captain and has European football experience
3. Joe Bryan - Bristol City - 24 years old - one of the best up and coming English left backs

1 At least 40 m and Spurs want him

2 Stone mad Celtic fan ( asked his mum for a Celtic jersey for Christmas )
Has said himself he’s living the dream
Teammates slag him over being the worlds biggest Celtic fan
Still lives at home with his parents ( tries to leave his room tidy )
Just signed a new six year deal
All true I guarantee you.

3 Club owned by a billionaire
Club striving for promotion
His family have a great relationship with the manager
He’s an extremely intelligent young man who’s a footballer by accident
All this from @roydo
None of those 3 are realistic targets

Fulham have ruled out selling Sessegnon plus there are bigger clubs interested in him than us (United, Spurs)

Tierney again will have better offers than us if he decides to leave (Heavily linked to United as replacement for Shaw)

No idea on the other chap but him bring at Bristol makes him considerably more viable

TBH I don't think Galloway is coming back in the main as cover for Baines, he is probably coming back as cover for Holgate.

...interesting. I think Martina will continue to be main cover for Baines, Galloway behind him in the queue. I can’t see Galloway getting game time at CB (cover for Holgate) when he’s never played there in top flight and we have so many players already in that position.

Sessegnon will almost certainly move to a CL club.

There must be a left full back out there in world football capable of relieving us all of Cuco Martina who is realistic and affordable.

One of these is half realistic ever.

None of them are realistic right now.

Potato.

If McCarthy is family then what's Baines?

...interesting. I think Martina will continue to be main cover for Baines, Galloway behind him in the queue. I can’t see Galloway getting game time at CB (cover for Holgate) when he’s never played there in top flight and we have so many players already in that position.

We have many players at CB but none who can do what Holgate does there, and I think Galloway is probably the closest in terms of ability and type of play to Holgate at the club. Yes, he would be a bit of an unknown, but so was Holgate before Unsworth put him there and in any case I'd put money on him doing better than a return to a two out of Jagielka / Williams / Keane would, which we know doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back