Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sell to buy

We do need to sell though mate. We have a European squad with no Europe so some have to go. Sam wanted shut of any who didn't want to be here anyway this month which isn't a bad thing.

Now a competent club would look to highlight youth both here and external to produce a European squad for the 2019 season (if we qualified next year) reducing the need to sign a load of players again. A competent club would look to focus on a first team and have youth make the squad up in future.

What's he on mate?

Please don't take the figure from that transfrmarket website as they lie terribly.

When United signed him the Guardian reported him to be on about 130k pw, how accurate that is i dunno, but then again United are paying Lingaard over 100k aren't they...

..I can’t see us signing a LB in this window.

I agree we need one, but I think his priority has been to give us more attacking threat. They’re probably thinking we’ve tightened things up at the back sufficiently to get us through to the summer, especially if Galloway returns and Baines recovery is not far off. Not ideal, but adequate for the short-term.

No more incomings unless there’s outgoings is probably as much down to good housekeeping as it is finance. Ezri Konsa and Adama Soumaoro linked when we already have an abundance of CBs (Keane, Williams, Jagielka, Holgate, Mori, Feeney et al) would unbalance us further.

Last edited:
wasn't having a go at all mate, but we have at least 6 players in the squad currently taking up probably a combined £300k of weekly wages that we simply aren't using. We need to free up those wages and those places in the squad.
Did not think you had a go at me either. Your explanation was most welcome. Thank for clearing it out, even further.

Gives me a better understanding of what is going on.

Thanks

..I can’t see us signing a LB in this window.

I agree we need one, but I think his priority has been to give us more attacking threat. They’re probably thinking we’ve tightened things up at the back sufficiently to get us through to the summer, especially if Galloway returns and Baines recovery is not far off. Not ideal, but adequate for the short-term.

No more incomings unless there’s outgoings is probably as much down to good housekeeping as it is finance.
Unfortunately those things are related. The attack is lacking because of the poor LB not because our wingers or other alternatives are bad. Walcott at 120K a week doesn't solve that. Obviously Lennon goes and he's on like 50K, but not sure having two 28 year old wingers with historical knee injuries is the best idea for even short term success.

Unfortunately those things are related. The attack is lacking because of the poor LB not because our wingers or other alternatives are bad. Walcott at 120K a week doesn't solve that. Obviously Lennon goes and he's on like 50K, but not sure having two 28 year old wingers with historical knee injuries is the best idea for even short term success.

..we clearly need strengthening in most areas but it won’t happen in one window and we can’t bring in large numbers without getting rid of quite a few.

Don't see the point in getting rid of lennon, we shifted Mirallas and if we can get Sandro off the books that would surely be fine to include Walcott.

Bolasie/walcott as our only wingers would be another disaster

SELL
McCarthy
Besic
Morgs
Robles
Williams
Jagielka
Keane with his gash foot
Martina
Baines
Niasse
Sandro
KlassAct

Oh god i've got bored listing there....basically sell nearly everyone as long as a good replacement is bought in. I have literally no love/connection for any of our players bar Pickford and he tested that severely last Friday.

No love for Coleman or Baines... you cold hearted man haha

Don't see the point in getting rid of lennon, we shifted Mirallas and if we can get Sandro off the books that would surely be fine to include Walcott.

Bolasie/walcott as our only wingers would be another disaster

If we sign Walcott i’d be happy to see
Besic
Stekelenberg
Lennon
Sandro
and possibly Niasse all leave, as well as obviously Barkley and Mirallas.

And even then the squad is too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back