Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t tell me that they would either.

It’s literally the same thing we hear when a player doesn’t play. Oh they’d solve all our issues.

It’s amazing how good some of our players get when they don’t play.

Absolute joke. Just imagine how poor they must look in training to not get a look in when we are so poor.
I don't know if it's a case of "they WILL solve our issues", more of a case of "ffs, the people on the pitch are terrible. I don't care if they are the best players ever in training, if they can't do it during a competitive match, we need to look elsewhere".

I call it: "The Phil Neville" arguement.

Love that Siggy is getting a pass whilst Martina gets all the abuse.

This being the best example:

We do need a left back. But we also need out LM to stop the ball to Aurier being so easy. Siggy didn't track the run or read the game and that left Martina with a decision to make. Come and try and stop the cross, abandoning the front post, or staying and hoping to clear the ball.
All because of Siggy.
Does that mean Siggy is crap? Of course not. Is Martina suited at LB. Of course not.
But every goal isn't Martina's fault.
Agreed.

We do need a left back. But we also need out LM to stop the ball to Aurier being so easy. Siggy didn't track the run or read the game and that left Martina with a decision to make. Come and try and stop the cross, abandoning the front post, or staying and hoping to clear the ball.
All because of Siggy.
Does that mean Siggy is crap? Of course not. Is Martina suited at LB. Of course not.

Questions.

Was Siggy bought to influence our game going forward?

Was Siggy bought to add a goal threat?

Was it Siggys defending attributes that cost us 45M in the summer?

Or did we spend 45M on Siggy for him to spend 70% of the game covering our left back?

And indirectly, if the opposition target our left hand side when attacking , then they know we have a weakness down that side.

If we had a proper left back then Siggy could play his true position, No.10, not on the left wing.

All because of Siggy.
No, but a lot of the play is. Defenders need to frankly, be able to defend. Aurier is on the touch line. If you want Siggy back as a LM instead of a more attacking player, that's fine, but he's never played that position in his life. What SHOULD happen is not have some LM sitting back there, but since Eriksen isn't going to play wide, your LB, being your one, quick, agile defender in a wide position, should GO OUT AND GET HIM. That would require one of our two DMs to cover left middle or possible our CBs. And push a LW up in BEHIND Aurier and attack that side all match. Or our CF. That's a positive tactic.

But your LB is on the 18, one of your DMs is whiffing on tackles and letting them waltz right down our gut on the counter, and even when you do win it back, no one can carry the ball forward or pass it from the back, with any precision or efficiency. Instead it's a pure hoofball up to an isolated CF.

Even when we won it, the lack of a counter was just so pathetic.

So yes, WE NEED A LB. We also need a Doucoure type as well and it would be nice to have a CB that could mark someone in space. Coleman could help at RB because JonJoe isn't looking good.

Without those players, it will and SHOULD be packing it in every game. Super defensive tactics IMO.

Questions.

Or did we spend 45M on Siggy for him to spend 70% of the game covering our left back?

And indirectly, if the opposition target our left hand side when attacking , then they know we have a weakness down that side.

If we had a proper left back then Siggy could play his true position, No.10, not on the left wing.

He's great as an inside forward on the left, too, but same issue. A LB could exploit the wide space he leaves by tucking inside. Which we WANT him to do because he can friggin score from that space. Need more than just Gana to cover for the counter as our LCBs are incapable of defending in space and could be exposed, but if the LB has pace, most teams outside the top 6 can't transition that fast or well.

The worry being that they might be worse.

I have to be clear that I agree Morgan, Davies etc... have been poor. There’s no hiding that. But I really worry those others would be worse.

I don't see how sandro could have scored less than DCL... I also don't see how klassen could be worse than Davies in possession or cover less ground or donless tackles than Morgan. Maybe he would have been but we havnt seen enough to judge ... that's the point

Questions.

Siggy is being played wide to accommodate Rooney. Having a new left back won’t change that.

Siggy is being played wide to accommodate Rooney. Having a new left back won’t change that.

Disagree.

Siggy was played left yesterday to cover any attacks down our right, because he is left footed.

Bolassie was moved to the right because he doesn't do the defensive work, as soon as we conceded the second he was hooked for the more defensive Lennon.

If we get a proper left back, Bolassie will go back over to the left side of midfield/wing.

Siggy and Rooney will then occupy a more central/attacking role, one sitting deeper than the other, but both getting forward to support our striker.

Disagree.

Siggy was played left yesterday to cover any attacks down our right, because he is left footed.

Bolassie was moved to the right because he doesn't do the defensive work, as soon as we conceded the second he was hooked for the more defensive Lennon.

If we get a proper left back, Bolassie will go back over to the left side of midfield/wing.

Siggy and Rooney will then occupy a more central/attacking role, one sitting deeper than the other, but both getting forward to support our striker.
No he's not

Disagree.

Your argument failed right there.

Disagree.

Gylfi is right footed, I don’t think I have seen him use his left foot once this season.
Martina has no excuse for tracking Son there left winger and leaving his man free and then the player he was supposedly marking scored anyway.

All of this is the managers fault, if your gonna put square pegs in round holes in an average team like ours you are always gonna come unstuck. Big Sam has took all the plaudits in the good games and deflected any blame in the defeats.

I’m not even gonna start talking about Rooney, be here all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back