Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...16 days, so I suppose we’re into the 2nd half of the January transfer window. Here’s a summary of rumours for this Tuesday morning;

- Sam Allardyce has told the Daily Mail that he doesn’t know where he’ll play Theo Walcott until the deal is done. Paul Joyce from The Times says the transfer is into the final stages of negotiations, whilst the Guardian’s Andy Hunter reports the Toffees are hopeful the deal will be concluded this week.

- MadaboutEPL website links West Ham with a move for Everton midfielder, Tom Davies. The Liverpool Echo say the Hammers have made no bid for the player.

- According to 4th Official, both Burnley and Newcastle are readying bids for Everton’s Aaron Lennon.

- BetVictor have installed Everton as joint favourites to sign Bournmouth’s 35 year old striker, Jermain Defoe, in the January transfer window.

- The Express suggests Leeds are leading Everton in the race to sign Forest Green Rovers 17 year old defensive midfielder, Jordon Stevens.

- Starsport report Everton interest in Manchester United’s 22 year old Left Back, Luke Shaw, and could launch a loan move this month.

Thanks as always @Eggs

Luke Shaw on loan would be just what the doctor ordered, but he's been starting lately so seems unlikely.

Hope the Defoe thing is false.

Would you guys take Welbeck for cheap/loan? I think he could be a good player for us, either as a striker next to Tosun or a winger.

It seems to me that trying to sign players of the level we need and want is becoming increasingly arduous. Either 'big clubs' not wanting them to leave (or the player doesn't want to leave the 'big club' and the status/salaries it brings), or the players from other clubs are massively overpriced. That is ths market I suppose.
Either way, we can't seem to bring in the quality needed to bridge the gap to the top 6.
We've taken a step back this season for sure, and right now we seem a very long way behind after seemingly getting closer in the last few seasons. In fact this season is about staying safe and if possible maintaining our position and thats proving very difficult in itself.
In terms of Walcott and (possibly) Shaw, we're at the behest of the 'selling' club. Waiting and waiting for their decisions. Its where we are in the food chain and if we want players from those types of clubs, then at the moment we can't do anything but wait.

Would you guys take Welbeck for cheap/loan? I think he could be a good player for us, either as a striker next to Tosun or a winger.

I actually logged on to say we should go for Welbeck. Although I guess there are some similarities to DCL? So it would hamper his development. Welbeck would score more goals., this season but would we want him as our target man in August?​

It seems to me that trying to sign players of the level we need and want is becoming increasingly arduous. Either 'big clubs' not wanting them to leave (or the player doesn't want to leave the 'big club' and the status/salaries it brings), or the players from other clubs are massively overpriced. That is ths market I suppose.
Either way, we can't seem to bring in the quality needed to bridge the gap to the top 6.
We've taken a step back this season for sure, and right now we seem a very long way behind after seemingly getting closer in the last few seasons. In fact this season is about staying safe and if possible maintaining our position and thats proving very difficult in itself.
In terms of Walcott and (possibly) Shaw, we're at the behest of the 'selling' club. Waiting and waiting for their decisions. Its where we are in the food chain and if we want players from those types of clubs, then at the moment we can't do anything but wait.

...that’s why skill in the transfer market is vital for us. We might have to mainly shop in a different market to the glamour clubs, but there are players out there who have quality and attitude, we need to be not only identifying them but also acquiring them before other teams catch on.

...that’s why skill in the transfer market is vital for us. We might have to mainly shop in a different market to the glamour clubs, but there are players out there who have quality and attitude, we need to be not only identifying them but also acquiring them before other teams catch on.
Them's the ones!

Sadly mate that requires a forward thinking and planning ownership, CEO and most importantly DoF, i don't think we have at least 2 of those 3 and certainly all 3 have shown varying degrees of incompetency in their roles.

There's many ways to bridge the gap in reality, the most quoted one is 'the spurs model' - but will give a caveat for that as well, yup they bought some good young players - Eriksen, Son, Alli and some shrewd 'peak year' players like Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweirld, Dembele etc but also made a lot of mistakes as well in players like Lamela, Sissoko, Jansen and a lot of others. But why i think the spurs model isn't one that can just be copied for a similar result, they struck gold, they had a once in a generation talent coming through in Kane who they had zero ability to attract a player of that calibre through the way they recruit, if you like it'd be like if Rooney would have come through during Martinez first season at the level he was at when he was 21 or so, we'd have ended up finishing easily inside the top 4 and the entire landscape of the club changes.

Sio guess what i am saying is the spurs model can't be copied, because the thing that has pushed them on from where we spent a large portion of the last 15 years - the best of the rest position, was Kanes development which can't be replicated really, they kind of got lucky in that regard.

You also have the model that teams like Sevilla use etc, which is by and large picking up overlooked talent, or 'flawed' talent - bit easier to do for them as they in large part take spanish speaking players who have failed in moves to other countries and rehabilitate them - lack of English players moving abroad removes that possibility for us ofc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back