Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah 100% mate, imagine them all rocking up to a meeting one day

Kenwright "alright lads, ive got us a number 10"

Koeman " eeeeeerrm i thought you were getting the left back bill, i went and got a 10 aswell"

Kenwright " its ok Ron, not ideal but atleast Steve wont have picked one"

Walsh " eeeeeerrrrrrm, he can play as an 8 if pushed"
Well not quite that specific no.

They were all players each wanted to bring into the club without anyone ever stepping back and seeing where they could possibly fit into a functioning team.

So the first ones were lined up straight away and the rest were just 'off a list so to speak that no-one was arsed to check.

Well not quite that specific no.

They were all players each wanted to bring into the club without anyone ever stepping back and seeing where they could possibly fit into a functioning team.

So the first ones were lined up straight away and the rest were just 'off a list so to speak that no-one was arsed to check.
It's very Championship Manager.

Sign a load of players with big names or reputations, then when you're done see if you can fit them into some sort of formation.

If not, play your third choice right back as your left back.

With the news of Chelsea possibly completing deal for Dzeko and Palmieri, I believe that gives legs to the Rahman rumors. Dunno if hes healthy yet though

With the news of Chelsea possibly completing deal for Dzeko and Palmieri, I believe that gives legs to the Rahman rumors. Dunno if hes healthy yet though

That's my concern. He's been training for awhile. I will say this, he can serve a ball and he can tackle. He's not a midget, he's got pace, sign me up.

What about the rumour in that unmentionable daily about our interest in Lille CB Adama Soumaoro? Per sky news.
This one keeps popping up. Wish he was taller, but he's strong and a good athlete. Jags is done. Williams should be done, but he's probably not going anywhere. Still, much lower priority than left back and CM. Keane is still here and has size and pace that we desparately need.

Don't think many have, I haven't at least. The issue wasn't speed or width it was competent attack, doing something with the ball once you got down the pitch which we lack. Walcott can help with that massively but he won't getting the ball with his back to goal all game.

I disagree. I believe Rooney was kenwrights and the rest can be split between Walsh and koeman.

Which is another factor as to why they all ended up crap recruitment on the whole

Mosh was in there too, too many cooks and crap cooks at that!

..I think we have to be very careful thinking an individual or a specific position will transform the team. Walsh and Allardyce need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. We clearly need new players, but failure to acquire players that fit the longer-term team model means we continually chase our tail.

We are in a mess, the squad is poor and it needs a root and branch rebuild. It will take time and needs somebody with vision to make it happen.

Agree, you need a long term strategy and a style of play first then you identify players to fit into that and then you build up a squad/pattern of play throughout the club. Even Moyes as much as he was limited tactically had an element of this due to lack of resources and the fact he was given time to build. Our buying still feels scattergun and panicky as one hole closes another emerges because there's no overall strategy or identity to the team just a bunch of individuals.Spurs is the model we should have followed. I can't see anything genuinely changing without change at the boardroom, DOF and ultimately managerial level.

Last edited:
It's very Championship Manager.

Sign a load of players with big names or reputations, then when you're done see if you can fit them into some sort of formation.

If not, play your third choice right back as your left back.
Exactly. Theoretically there is talent there but in terms of a team we are awful. Players cant play together, others keep players out the team etc.

For example. Siggurdson was signed because he is good at set pieces and can score/assist. Fair enough , we over paid but on paper it was a good signing.

No-one bothered at the time to think how he would fit alongside Rooney and klassen into the team. They just signed him and then found out later. It's the same all over the park, nothing was ever considered and we just blindly bought players like you say, championship manager esq, and just expected them to form a functional team.

Even now signing Walcott is less to do with improving the first 11 but just signing him because we could. Because nothing changed team wise Sunday, we didn't play any different or try to play to Walcott strengths at all.

Kenshin, I understand what you are saying but surely these players are well established professional footballers and should be able to fit in wherever they play within reason.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back