Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel Marcel will be active getting rid of deadwood. All these can go - apart from Dowell whose contract I’d extend.

Contract expiry 2019
Stekelenburg
Baines
Jagielka
Dowell*
Browning
Williams
Connelly

Zouma loan end - purchase
Gomes loan end - purchase

Contract expiry 2020
McCarthy
Niasse
Galloway
Mirallas
Martina
Tarashaj
Garbutt

Contract expiry 2021
Besic
Ramirez
Bolasie
Schneiderlin

Big push to get all these wasters off the books (before their values decrease even more) and replenish with players who can actually contribute to the team.

Be interesting how much we would save with all those off the books.

Wow, I actually wouldn't be bothered if all of those were out of contact right now. The ones with two years left we have to sell this summer as they're the only ones we'll get decent fees for.

18 out

Ins (obviously more than one window)
Zouma
Gomes
LB cover
GK cover
Young promising RB to replace Coleman
Beasty centre midfielder
Young promising RW to replace Walcott
A utility player capable of playing in a few positions.
Top slotter

But don't we already have Kenny as a young promising RB, lookman as a young promising RW and arguably Robinson as a backup left back? Pointless spending money on those positions imo before we actually give players like that a chance first. Way too early to write off Kenny.

It's unusual that I only feel we need 1 position filling with a first team player in January, but that's how it feels at the moment. Top quality striker please, everything else is a nice to have.

I think 25 million would be what we would be looking to pay mate.

Williams was Swanseas captain and had just captained a team to the European Championships semi finals. It was a bit of a thoughtless buy looking back.

Zouma is a lad who won't be wanted by Chelsea, and I can't imagine there will be a cue of teams liking up for him that he'd want to leave for over us.

Personally I'd start negotiations around 20 and be willing to go to 30, but sense Brands will be nearer half way between those figures.

What would you suggest as a workable figure?
They'd laugh at us if we offered them just 25 mil.

But don't we already have Kenny as a young promising RB, lookman as a young promising RW and arguably Robinson as a backup left back? Pointless spending money on those positions imo before we actually give players like that a chance first. Way too early to write off Kenny.
kennys bang average, going to be another hibbert and Robinson at best is a few years off this level

Ins (obviously more than one window)
Zouma
Gomes
LB cover - Robinson
GK cover - Pope
Young promising RB to replace Coleman - Wan Bissaka
Beasty centre midfielder - Ndombele
Young promising RW to replace Walcott - Lozano
A utility player capable of playing in a few positions.

Top slotter - Barbosa
Unlikely but we can all dream.

I would second this except i have no idea who barbosa is, so i would replace him with batshuayi or depay

I agree - I think promising young players have to be cover for positions now, otherwise they have no hope for the future. kenny robinson and Lookman are 100% good enough to be proper cover for first team players.

Same for DCL, Dowell (though he needs game time), Davies, Holgate. I would love to have Vlasic back, but i think vlasic vs Dowell vs Gylfi is the compeition for one position.

Feel Marcel will be active getting rid of deadwood. All these can go - apart from Dowell whose contract I’d extend.

Contract expiry 2019
Stekelenburg
Baines
Jagielka
Dowell*
Browning
Williams
Connelly

Zouma loan end - purchase
Gomes loan end - purchase

Contract expiry 2020
McCarthy
Niasse
Galloway
Mirallas
Martina
Tarashaj
Garbutt

Contract expiry 2021
Besic
Ramirez
Bolasie
Schneiderlin

Big push to get all these wasters off the books (before their values decrease even more) and replenish with players who can actually contribute to the team.

Be interesting how much we would save with all those off the books.

How many of those would you replace?

I think really we don't need a back up keeper if Virginia is a serious no.2 which he should be
Defensive cover should be Holgate, Robinson, Kenny + you assume Keane or Zouma are fighting for one position
MIdfield - I would add one more attacking winger and one defensive to replace Schneiderlin, Besic and McCarthy
Attack - one person to replace Tosun and Niasse

That's 18 out and 3 in, in my opinion.

I agree - I think promising young players have to be cover for positions now, otherwise they have no hope for the future. kenny robinson and Lookman are 100% good enough to be proper cover for first team players.

Same for DCL, Dowell (though he needs game time), Davies, Holgate. I would love to have Vlasic back, but i think vlasic vs Dowell vs Gylfi is the compeition for one position.

Yep, this is what we gain over the other top six. None of them are bringing players through right now from their youth teams, they're having to pay £20m etc for players for these positions instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back