Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just cos rlc is being overlooked at Chelsea, probly cos he doesn't suit the sarri system, it doesn't mean he won't fit silva style of playing.

He is very similar to Gomes so that leads me to think silva would appreciate him

He's a supremely talented young player in a team with about 567 midfielders

The fact he doesn't play every week isn't that much of a comment on his ability

Zouma wasn't playing for them every week and he's been excellent for us

Gomes & RLC, Gomes and Gana or Gana & RLC

We'd have three great combinations in the middle there. Real squad depth
I don’t see him as a midfielder, more a number 10. Him and Gomes couldn’t play together in the midfield imo. He would have to take siggurdsson’s place.

Chelsea would also want huge money and he hasn’t justified a huge price tag.

I don’t see him as a midfielder, more a number 10. Him and Gomes couldn’t play together in the midfield imo. He would have to take siggurdsson’s place.

Don't see that myself.

You and @catcherintherye make valid points.

I also used to look at teams and see someone like Anelka coming in for £1mil and sold for 20 times that amount + the cash used for 3 more top stars.

With us i think its a little different due to the following;

A-- Were trying to build something which requires marquee players, commercial deals and a new stadium.

B -- Weve seen under Moyes how far we can go without the tier one level X Factor players needed to consistently challenge the top sides who scoop everyone up.

C -- There is so much money in the game now that the top stars will always have offers and pricetags to match. If one leaves then it can create disharmony.

I think that the 'next steps' should be to;

1 -- Ensure that our 'top' players are tied down to long term contracts. Pickford signed a new 6 year deal and I would like to see (if they keep performing) our other 'stars' such as Digne, Mina and Richarlison do the same at the end of the season.

2 -- Clear out the deadwood players and use the funds to reinvest in those players likely to be in our top bracket of quality.

3 -- Try to move on ageing players for decent fees without too much sentiment. Gana, Coleman and Walcott can all generate decent fees over the next 2 windows. Sigurdsson could potentially bring in a fee similar to that which he was signed for if he has a great season -- he would be the one to sell from the top quality group rather than Richarlison.

The real top level players we have in Pickford, Digne, Mina, Gomes (needs to be signed) and Richarlison makes 5/11 first team players. We could potentially add 3 more from selling the deadwood + 3 more from recycling older players.

Once the 1st 11 is settled we can then supplement with high potential u21 players.

Hi Zat, I know you've made some excellent points on my take on Richarlinson and I haven't had the chance to come back and answer it.

Much of what you said above I agree with. The big divergence we would have is my desire to have marquee names. I don't see us trying to utilise this model. I see us having a more European model, whereby there is an acceptance that once players get to a certain tipping point we can move them on.

It's funny as the sort of conversations we have now about Richarlinson we probably had about Lukaku 2-3 years ago. The money was spent very poorly but thats different from saying the approach was wrong. This summer we spent a similar amount very well. Would I rather have the 6 players of this summer (albeit with 2 on loan) or Lukaku? To me the choice is easy. As frankly I would say about Stones, or Barkley (had we have sold him for the 35 million we ought to have received).

There is no way I'd pay 35 for Ross, 50 for Stones or 90 For Lukaku, however good they were. This is in no small part down to the fact that we intrinsically know we are operating in a different market to them. That's always a good indication that it is a worthwhile consideration to move people on.

I do not believe that we will need to sell every player. There will be some though that may want to move on and may be able to generate a level of funds that allow us a greater aspect of flexibility in the market place. For me the most important challenge for the club now, is to ensure that Brands has the financial freedom to execute his plans, or as much financial freedom as possible. Players sale's will be a useful tool for this.

I agree again with moving players on. I start from the position that every player has a price. I think we could see Walcott moved on by the end of the season, particularly if Lookman keeps improving. However if a club comes in in January (say West Ham) with what we offered the club should consider it. I am not sure it's an either/or though and my sense is Richarlinson will be very marketable.

I would be wary of moving Coleman along, because I think his experience of the place is invaluable as is his leadership. The ref did a great job on Sunday, but a lot of that was because Coleman kept him honest.

I don't think he'd be a number 10 at all

He's far more like Gomes than Siggurdsson, which is why he'd be a good option if we can't keep Gomes, as he could be plugged right into the existing formation and kick on immediately

But to what end mate, trophies? We are at the top of the food chain, being in the PL that has advantages primarily financially but we operate in the most competitive market in world football. It’s a tricky one.

It takes true greatness and the right conditions structurally , to elevate our position to trophies in my opinion, to my mind only Ferguson and Wenger have done it consistently without artificial support while building a club.

It takes stragic building, talented management and the right choice of player sales in my opinion, it’s very difficult though.

I would say to a far greater end that ourselves and many clubs in this country. Athletico Madrid have produced a side that have won the Europa League, could have won 2 champions league and would have likely won 1 if not 3-4 PL titles in the last 7-8 years. This has been done on the back of selling players at an opportune moment.

Our key difference is I don't believe us to be top of the food tree. I think we are the next rung down.

I would say to a far greater end that ourselves and many clubs in this country. Athletico Madrid have produced a side that have won the Europa League, could have won 2 champions league and would have likely won 1 if not 3-4 PL titles in the last 7-8 years. This has been done on the back of selling players at an opportune moment.

Our key difference is I don't believe us to be top of the food tree. I think we are the next rung down.
I agree
Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern , Juventus , City and still Manure to an extent are the top rung
We along with others are at the bottom of the second tier but making strides to get to the top of that tier

I don't think he'd be a number 10 at all

He's far more like Gomes than Siggurdsson, which is why he'd be a good option if we can't keep Gomes, as he could be plugged right into the existing formation and kick on immediately

Agree. Don’t think he’s could play with Gomes, he’d be a replacement. And a massive downgrade. I can’t believe he’s so liked on this board. RLC dives and flops more than Ross did here. What does he do better than Gomes exactly? He can get better I suppose, but he’s also 23 in January, still young, but not some U21 kid anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back