Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their fans on Twitter seem to think Gueye or Gomes.

...if they are talking about a move in January, I can’t see how it can be Gomes and we surely won’t agree to lose Gueye at this point.

The Reds made a couple of summer midfield purchases that have failed to fire, I think they are a more likely target along with the likes of Sturridge.

...if they are talking about a move in January, I can’t see how it can be Gomes and we surely won’t agree to lose Gueye at this point.

The Reds made a couple of summer midfield purchases that have failed to fire, I think they are a more likely target along with the likes of Sturridge.

I thought Sturridge too.

Sounds weird to say given the utter nesx we've been in, but reality us whilst he's done an absolutely incredible job so far, the real difficulty is coming over the next few seasons.

Improving on what he out inherited was in a weird way the easy part, now as a starting 11 we are pretty much solid right across the team, with no "glaring" issue.
Biggest difficulty is always gonna be the improvement from that level to the next, as it requires replacing rather good players with even better ones, which is what ultimately "glass ceilings" a team - see spurs for that right now.
Hell even us under Moyes, a lot of those positions, like CB, etc we literally couldn't improve on even though they where short of the very top level.

See loads thinking we can snap our fingers and upgrade Coleman, gueye, Bernard, Walcott with ease.

People talking like to easy replacing players there who'd at worse be squad players for the top 6 and would walk in as starters for the other 14 teams.

Most important thing is to seal a permanent deal with Barca for Gomes, other business not even close to that important compared to it.
On his current and previous Barca move form, we wouldn't be able to attract or afford a comparable player.

After that you're left hoping that an improvement can be made by using brands and Silva's contacts/persuasiveness - why I've said I think Lozano could happen - without brands our dont think we'd be able to attract him btw.

After that God knows, who else have Barca got that they don't want...

This is an important point. Taking a side from mid table to challenging the top 4/5/6 is actually not too difficult. You could well argue that the squad Brands put together at PSV would likely finish 7th most seasons here on a fraction of the cost. It was not difficult to improve the likes of Martina, Williams and essentially a group of young, inconsistent players.

We will soon get to a point where improving certain players is going to cost serious money, arguably money we don't have easily available often for players who will not want to join us.

That was kind of my point re the 85 side really mate, that we can put together a very talented team that can compete to win anything but it doesn't always mean singing 11 galaticos. It's about getting the right blend as much as it is getting the best player in a position.

For me this team will quite quickly be at the point where it needs to grow together with the young coach. That what will be needed is tinkering as opposed to wholesale changes.

I agree you with Coleman too. I still see people having a pop at him but in the last 2 games neither Mane or Hazard have scored or contributed to a goal down his side. Yes there were undoubtedly some hairy moments as you would expect against players of that quality. But at the very least you would say Coleman gave as good as he got against 2 of the league in the league in that position. You could well say Coleman got the better of both. He also seems to be carrying the ball forward with more confidence down (though I think he still has another gear in this regard).

His defending is quite underrated really. I'd now happily leave him 1 v 1 against most wingers. If we are going to bring in a winger ahead of him, be it Lozano, Richarlinson playing out there or Lookman nailing down the place that skill will be very important.

I like the lad Wan Bissaka but throwing £50+million on him would to me scream of an unnecessary extravagance in the above context.

I thought doucoure was poor last night. I know he was up against a very good side.

He does get around the pitch, very strong and fit, but technically I thought he was poor, gave the ball away loads. Definitely not worth a big outlay imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back