Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he's got a good tally at PSV but dunno what the hell that means because it seems like its easier to score goals in the Edersivie than it is in the MLS.
Since 2005, fantastic examples of strikers who've topped their scoring charts include Luuk de Jong, Depay, Bony, Kuyt, Alves, Vleminckx and Janssen.

There some of the ones you'll know - I've left some more unknown players out - so take that as you will.

0n-7Znd4_400x400.jpg

Thats more 'great' than Walcott then :)
Dont think we missed his pace as lookman was far better stats wise...far better.

What do you mean Zat?

I meant we missed Walcott getting in that right hand channel and running in behind (like he does for all of his chances).

Lookman didn't do that. It's got nothing to do with stats.

I like Lookman and I said before Wednesday's game it was right to take Walcott out. But it's not wrong to say that we missed Walcott's pace because we did.

I don't get the insistance on Walcott being the only player who has the speed and intelligence to run in behind.
Do any of the top sides rely on this type of one dimensional player?
And they manage to get in behind more often than us.
I think Rico would have no problems doing this from the right while offering more.

While Lookman was keeping possession rather than giving it away, recycling ball, giving Gomes a reliable option and easing the mental pressure on him, and searching for and timing passes into the players in front of him (not really standing still) - what would Walcott been able to do against the Newcastle defence.
Walcott will be much more effective against Watford you'd hope,
but would have seen more Newcastle counters had he been playing without offering much against deep tight lines.

Personally think he's ok against sides that they know will come at them but overall is preventing the side from developing a better ryhthm to their play.

Maybe Rico could play that role, but then we're taking away what he offers up top (which, and this showed the other night, is absolutely crucial to Silva's system, crucial).

Lookman keeping possession but actually not doing anything with it just like the rest of them was the problem. And he was actually the one who gave possession away (foul or not) for their goal...

It sounds like I'm slating Lookman, but I'm not. I'm just saying a team needs balance and Walcott helps give us that balance.

Do we need an upgrade? Yeh, probably, but that's not going to happen for now and he really hasn't been playing badly. He just hasn't finished his chances which has been incredibly frustrating.

Since 2005, fantastic examples of strikers who've topped their scoring charts include Luuk de Jong, Depay, Bony, Kuyt, Alves, Vleminckx and Janssen.

There some of the ones you'll know - I've left some more unknown players out - so take that as you will.

Altidore led the league in scoring there. Michael Bradley, a defensive mid got 20+. I remember Boro once buying a guy who had something like back to back 30+ goal seasons and scored like 5 for them. Only good one I can think of is Ratface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back