Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he doesn't really play in that style either though, really.

Walcott's the only player we currently (I stress, currently) have that has that sheer pace to do that. Plus, we need Richarlison up front, for now.
Not really.

Lookman standing still in the right-hand channel has nothing to do with trying to do anything to a higher level than Walcott.

And I'm not slating Lookman. I like him and want him to get a chance, but it's clear him and Walcott both offer different things and we missed Walcott's pace the other night.

I don't get the insistance on Walcott being the only player who has the speed and intelligence to run in behind.
Do any of the top sides rely on this type of one dimensional player?
And they manage to get in behind more often than us.
I think Rico would have no problems doing this from the right while offering more.

While Lookman was keeping possession rather than giving it away, recycling ball, giving Gomes a reliable option and easing the mental pressure on him, and searching for and timing passes into the players in front of him (not really standing still) - what would Walcott been able to do against the Newcastle defence.
Walcott will be much more effective against Watford you'd hope,
but would have seen more Newcastle counters had he been playing without offering much against deep tight lines.

Personally think he's ok against sides that they know will come at them but overall is preventing the side from developing a better ryhthm to their play.

@Rook was the first person to ever mention Lozano.

Most of the US posters spotted him before his move to PSV.

You jumped onboard the train after he was linked to us for 42m, admit Zat, you only know about players till you read about them.

He's a nice player and I like watching him. I just don't think it will work that great for him here. He's sort of like Lookman only I think Lozano gets knocked off the ball easier so he'd be better in a whistle happy league. He's a good playmaker but just an OK finisher (which is what we need) for Mexico. Yes he's got a good tally at PSV but dunno what the hell that means because it seems like its easier to score goals in the Edersivie than it is in the MLS.

He's a nice player and I like watching him. I just don't think it will work that great for him here. He's sort of like Lookman only I think Lozano gets knocked off the ball easier so he'd be better in a whistle happy league. He's a good playmaker but just an OK finisher (which is what we need) for Mexico. Yes he's got a good tally at PSV but dunno what the hell that means because it seems like its easier to score goals in the Edersivie than it is in the MLS.

Yeah he seems a bit hit and miss for sure.

A good prospect tho.

In the mainstay, he's been a winger for the most of his career; in that time, he' sscored 118 goals in four-hundred and forty-two matches - 0.27 goals per game.

Turning that round, that's more than one goal in every four games. I think is PL stats are slightly lower (0.23) but it's still very nearly a goal every four games.

All I am suggesting is that I believe that he's a player who can contribute a few goals in a season, as his stats suggest, whereas he's currently not meeting that.

I'm not saying he is amazing nor have I ever expected him to score a mass of goals, rather I do think he will start scoring again. Where have I said otherwise?

So in laymen's terms once again: he's currently not scoring but I think he will again. Not masses, not what a striker would, but more than he currently is providing.

I like Lookman but it's still unproven whether he will ever be a success here or in the Premier League, or will he meet the standards of Walcott - whatever that is.

1 in 4 then effectively. Which would equate to 9-10 goals a season, bearing in mind his 2nd best season he hit 10 im not sure how he can be expected to hit those levels for us.

Most likely based on stats is he knocks in 4 or 5 more if he plays the rest of the season.

Only seen him for mexico in the world cup bar 1 or 2 random games in the past...

Doesnt look similar to lookman for me...lookman keeps posession as a primary objective whereas Lozano goes direct towards goal whenever he can -- at least for PSV.

Hes banged in some top class goals for them too.

why, hes already proving he has zero fight in him when under pressure. one performance in ten is not required or wanted
ONE performance in TEN guys

tenor.gif

1 in 4 then effectively. Which would equate to 9-10 goals a season, bearing in mind his 2nd best season he hit 10 im not sure how he can be expected to hit those levels for us.

Most likely based on stats is he knocks in 4 or 5 more if he plays the rest of the season.
Which is a better goal return than he's currently offering, hence why I expect/desire an improvement from him - I don't think that's too difficult to understand.

If you're asking whether five to ten goals a season is enough for us to progress further, well that's another question entirely. But, no in the long-term I admit I don't.

I do wish for better but I doubt that Lookman will currently offer anywhere near as many as we may expect from Walcott, let alone from what we eventually desire.

I'll take it for granted your not saying he's in the same.....hmm what's a more fitting word than 'class' for a couple of RSs.
But surely they have a lot more range to be compared to the type of player Walcott is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back