Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think people ever really appreciate the ability of Osman. It's funny as Arteta and to a greater degree Peinaar are given the respect they deserve but Osman was an excellent player as well. Without doubt one of the cleverest and cutest players in and around the opposition penalty area and had a great football brain. There was a spell in 2011 (I believe) that winter where Arteta, Osman and Peinaar had to play central midfield together as a 3 and absolutely ran the show.

I actually thought Martinez got a a fair bit out of him as well. If he'd have had a different manager earlier, one who focussed on what he did have rather than what he didn't have he'd have been an even more effective player.
Hello sailor! Just kidding mate, I know what you mean, honest!

Think I finally found an answer to the loan conundrum on The Guardian!

"Loan rules differ in the Premier League, where only one player from the same club is permitted at a time. Clubs are also allowed a maximum of only two domestic loans at a time. Yet there is no limit on international loans, which means a struggling Premier League club can transform its starting XI in January without making a permanent signing. Two years ago Hull brought five players in on loan and almost survived."

I think we can loan 2 players from Barcelona comfortably.

We’d never get a work permit for those I feel. It’s a difficult market.
One answer, and I suppose it depends on our finances, is to buy these young starlets and loan them straight to a team in europe for a season, where work permits are not so much of an issue. Somewhere like PSV would be ideal, building on our existing relationship with Brands. Hopefully they would perform well enough to cement their position in their national team, and a season in Holland would help bridge the quality gap and prepare them for life in the Premier.

I think we do have a lot of talented players in the team but we are sadly lacking in leaders. We need a player that makes other players play well, a driving force on the field.
I look at the team we put out against Leicester and I could not see a single natural captain in the side.
Tim Cahill was a limited footballer but he wore his heart on his sleeve and helped the team to gel and get the most out of each player.

I think we have players in the team now that have a lot more talent but it appears a lot less heart.
It's what would make this team,someone in midfield who bossed the opposition and led weekly by example,only cost us about 90 million.

One answer, and I suppose it depends on our finances, is to buy these young starlets and loan them straight to a team in europe for a season, where work permits are not so much of an issue. Somewhere like PSV would be ideal, building on our existing relationship with Brands. Hopefully they would perform well enough to cement their position in their national team, and a season in Holland would help bridge the quality gap and prepare them for life in the Premier.
That might change come March 29th,who knows.

I always thought he would have been great in the 10 role, like you say his clever movement, technical ability, his awareness. Unfortunately fir him we had Cahill and he was stuck on the right wing for years.

And because he lacked power and pace, he just got bullied especially against the top full backs.
Don't think people were saying he was perfect. But we do miss his cuteness around the box when we're trying to break down stubborn defences. Hopefully Bernard can provide this if he can find a bit of consistency. He look to have it in his locker.

Read Silva’s comments in the echo about recruitment. He’s waxing lyrical about how good the recruitment has been etc. someone needs to remind him that his team is massively underperforming and he is responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back