Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zouma has all the tools to be a top class CB but I can see why he hasn’t made it at Chelsea. He lacks that bit of intelligence great defenders have and relies too much on his size and speed. Given the money Chelsea would want for him I won’t be too bothered if he isn’t signed permanently

I'd agree with this. His best asset seems his recovery which at this club right now is a good asset. He seems to have the odd brain fart in a game.

I didn’t say they were god like. I said they would look like that in comparison to some of the poor players we have now. Those players got top 4,5 and 6 finishes. Players since then 13/14 part can’t even claim that.

But back then it was a top 4, now it's a top 6. So surely the equivalent now is top 6,7 and 8th place finishes, no?

Leon Osman in his prime would absolutely walk into this team.

I don't think people ever really appreciate the ability of Osman. It's funny as Arteta and to a greater degree Peinaar are given the respect they deserve but Osman was an excellent player as well. Without doubt one of the cleverest and cutest players in and around the opposition penalty area and had a great football brain. There was a spell in 2011 (I believe) that winter where Arteta, Osman and Peinaar had to play central midfield together as a 3 and absolutely ran the show.

I actually thought Martinez got a a fair bit out of him as well. If he'd have had a different manager earlier, one who focussed on what he did have rather than what he didn't have he'd have been an even more effective player.

I don't think people ever really appreciate the ability of Osman. It's funny as Arteta and to a greater degree Peinaar are given the respect they deserve but Osman was an excellent player as well. Without doubt one of the cleverest and cutest players in and around the opposition penalty area and had a great football brain. There was a spell in 2011 (I believe) that winter where Arteta, Osman and Peinaar had to play central midfield together as a 3 and absolutely ran the show.

I actually thought Martinez got a a fair bit out of him as well. If he'd have had a different manager earlier, one who focussed on what he did have rather than what he didn't have he'd have been an even more effective player.
Spot on mate, technically he was very good, just half a yard too slow for this league sadly, particularly as soft lad Moyes insisted on playing him on the wings.

I always thought he would have been great in the 10 role, like you say his clever movement, technical ability, his awareness. Unfortunately fir him we had Cahill and he was stuck on the right wing for years.

And because he lacked power and pace, he just got bullied especially against the top full backs.

I think we do have a lot of talented players in the team but we are sadly lacking in leaders. We need a player that makes other players play well, a driving force on the field.
I look at the team we put out against Leicester and I could not see a single natural captain in the side.
Tim Cahill was a limited footballer but he wore his heart on his sleeve and helped the team to gel and get the most out of each player.

I think we have players in the team now that have a lot more talent but it appears a lot less heart.

I think we do have a lot of talented players in the team but we are sadly lacking in leaders. We need a player that makes other players play well, a driving force on the field.
I look at the team we put out against Leicester and I could not see a single natural captain in the side.
Tim Cahill was a limited footballer but he wore his heart on his sleeve and helped the team to gel and get the most out of each player.

I think we have players in the team now that have a lot more talent but it appears a lot less heart.

This current team could do with a Roy Keane type, there would be no hiding then on the pitch, wouldn't mind someone in that mould like.

....I made the point to @Nymzee that Brands’ aim is probably to buy these youngsters directly from South America (before their value increases in Europe), and he rightly said there could be work permit issues.

You have to go for ones that can aquire Italian and Spanish passports easy enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back