Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koulibaly is going to be the most expensive defender ever if he leaves Napoli. It will be higher than VVD. Don't see us doing that.

If there was any form of acceptance from Koulibaly to come here, we should throw the cheque book at them, he would put us on the map in terms of transfer dealings. Real statement of intent and what would should be aiming for if we want to ever move from midtable status quo.

Koulibaly is exactly the type of player Moshiri said we won't be signing just 3 days ago. In fact, even more than that, he's probably the actual example he was using when he said we can't get players like that. We supposedly bid £60m for him 2 years ago but Moshiri said we can't afford the wages for that type of player, so it won't be happening.

Koulibaly is exactly the type of player Moshiri said we won't be signing just 3 days ago. In fact, even more than that, he's probably the actual example he was using when he said we can't get players like that. We supposedly bid £60m for him 2 years ago but Moshiri said we can't afford the wages for that type of player, so it won't be happening.

There's just absolutely no chance he'd come here as well.

I'm all for changing perceptions, but the bloke's a monster.

I mean there's pretty much no chance, but koulibaly, milik and Allan would be a dream summer window. I don't reckon it's too far fetched that we are actually after them because imo they're that same standard of signing as mina, digne, gomes and Bernard.
Koulibaly is an absolute beast, I’d be amazed if we could pull that one off!! Think it’s more likely Chelsea will get him and we sign Zouma
yeah i know, he seems way too good for us, but you never know these days, spurs bought a hell of a lot of players who were a good few levels above them, so why can't we do it?
No chance I'm afraid, Koulibaly is widely regarded as one of the best defenders in world football, Allan is a CL quality player. Only one I can see us having a chance with is Milik
No harm in trying, just think if he becomes available the elite will be in for him, he’s that good IMO..

We went for him 2.5 years ago and it appears as though we bid £60mil for him but it was rejected

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.li...ons-kalidou-koulibaly-bid-absurd-12155061.amp

If we had managed to get him then, we would have had a truly world class centre back...we have no chance of signing him now as Napoli will be looking for a world record fee + he will have his pick of clubs...

Bear in mind that Napoli signed him when he was 23 from Genk. He also had 1-1 coaching from Sarri who effectively made him into the superstar he is today.

Its important to remember that Mina was really highly rated up until the point Barca signed him and he got lots of attention in the world cup as well.

For his partner in defence, we dont need to spend a huge amount of money when you look at Konate and Upamecano at Leipzig...who are 19 and 20 years old and already look like they will become stars. Aa others have pointed out, the German league can be quite forgiving and so we may not be able to develop these players signed from france as effectively as them.

I dont think we should be looking to keep Zouma or Keane who wont ever hit the top heights but should be looking at players like Diop (signed from toulouse for west ham, Upamecano and Konate....someone such as Malang Sarr who has shown this season that he can play centre back very well and is playing for Nice.

Someone like him (at 19) could be very good cover for Digne (he came through as a left back) and also push for the LCB position.

France now have so many of these top centre backs coming through and its foolish not to be looking at them.

Another option is to go for a fellow South American in Eder Militao at Porto who we probably couldnt have got a permit for in the summer but whose value now may be up to £40mil for a 20 year old...

Lots of options instead of £100mil for Koulibaly.

Tosun has featured in 18 of our 24 games so far, and has been on the bench for 4 of the other 6. Niasse has featured less, but when Tosun wasn't in the squad he was. I would be very surprised and extremely disappointed if we let both of them go without bringing anyone in, it would leave us incredibly light up top.
I am astounded by tha
Who would you go for in the summer? Accept a lower mid table finish then if we have those forward options until then.
I believe that Brands/Silva know exactly who they would like to sign and I don't think they will sign somebody just to bring in a player and I do think that Brands/Silva would take a mid table finish this season if it means waiting to sign the players they want in the summer.

Of course, it may be that Bathsuayi is a player favoured by both of them... but I have my doubts.

Mid table finish AGAIN it is then.. all at the club must be so proud
It will be a mid table finish this season... but who, in their right mind, was expecting that it would be so different.

I know that we all hoped we might do a Leicester but that is the stuff that dreams are made of.

The manager took over a team that twelve months ago was in danger of relegation(hence the Allyrdyce appointment). We spent a lot of money on players and unfortunately it was largely not well spent.

The manager was probably very glad to inherit Pickford,Coleman, Gueye, Walcott and probably Sigurdsson but I cannot think of too many more that he would have wanted or paid money for.
A team is being built and without unlimited resources that will take a number of transfer windows. I think our target this season will be 8th to 11th, next season hopefully maybe 6th to 8th and we will see after that...…this is all contingent on the management team working well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back