Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you do in the centre back positions if you had carte blanche to buy/sell players within reason?

I'd go for a real organiser at the back. Really not sure of who off the top of my head, like.

Would keep Mina.

I'd try to buy Zouma, probably.

Keane i'm not sure on. I really do think, on form, he has been a real improvement and has played well. Probably on form our best performer. It'd be a toss up between him and Holgate and see who has the best chance of being a key player in the future.

Sky just said we are interested in Fabregas but he is close to Monaco and we have Zouma on loan already. I said we should be in for him on here the other day and got shouted down. Is he an improvement on likes of Davies, Schneiderlin? Absolutely.

Yeh, they'll have on about Batshuayi. No interest in Cesc (though yes of course i'd gladly have him here).

Apart from results or even performances I would see the signings of Richarlison, Digne and Bernard as very substantial improvements. I think Minna may take this season to settle and should be judged next season and we can only hope that Gomes can be signed and I think Zouma as well.

Even if the manager were to leave tomorrow I think the players the new manager would inherit would be better that when Silva started, and that is an improvement.

I would like our results to get better but we can't just keep sacking managers and thinking things will improve.

I wonder if we did sign a forward + if we want our best players on pitch...how to get Richarlison and Bernard in the same team.

Well if we look at the centre backs only we have:

Mina
Zouma (loan)
Keane
Jagielka (contract up end of season)
Holgate (on loan)
Pennington (on loan)
Browning (contract up end of season)
Feeney / Gibson (u23s)

What would be 'realistic' in terms of turning this into a very strong selection of 4 centre backs?

So, for me i would say we need 3 centre backs who are all competing with one another.

I'd say Mina would be one of them (obviously as we just signed him) and we would need to sign 2 more with one of the young players either Holgate, Feeney or Gibson perhaps as 4th choice in case of emergencies.

We then have

1 -- Mina
2 --
3 --
4 -- Holgate/Feeney/Gibson

Out: Keane/Zouma/Jags/Pennington/Browning

The weekly wages there would perhaps be around;

Keane £60k
Jags £50k
Pennington £10k
Browning £5k

So perhaps £125k a week which would cover 2 new centre backs wages + sales fees of perhaps £20-25mil from Keane and Pennington.

That amount would to towards 1 new centre back and we would need to find the money for a second.

I was asking @BlueToff who he would go for / keep...

You aint really buying a good CB for 60k a week Zat, especially not 2.

Mina of course
Buy Zooms
Keane
See if we can make Holgate into a player

Take a look after a year.

For me CBs arent really important, good full backs and good DMs do their job.

I'd go for a real organiser at the back. Really not sure of who off the top of my head, like.

Would keep Mina.

I'd try to buy Zouma, probably.

Keane i'm not sure on. I really do think, on form, he has been a real improvement and has played well. Probably on form our best performer. It'd be a toss up between him and Holgate and see who has the best chance of being a key player in the future.

I think we keep Keane.

Then for an organiser it would be ideal to go for Manolas...but hes 27 and would ask big wages.

I wonder if we will follow the route that was discussed at the meeting and go for someone young who has the organisational skills and leadership qualities.

Zouma i thought was supposed to have these qualities and i expected mina to be quite a strong leader but neither seems to be a real organiser.

Similar to midfield, i wouldnt mind a clean sweep in centre back positions keeping Mina only + a u21 as 4th choice backup.

You aint really buying a good CB for 60k a week Zat, especially not 2.

Mina of course
Buy Zooms
Keane
See if we can make Holgate into a player

Take a look after a year.

For me CBs arent really important, good full backs and good DMs do their job.

£60k is a very good salary if we follow the model of buying relatively young for a decent sized transfer fee and then developing players and a unit.

Why would you keep both Keane and Zouma? I dont think either look very good next to Mina and realistically he will be 1st choice.

£60k is a very good salary if we follow the model of buying relatively young for a decent sized transfer fee and then developing players and a unit.

Why would you keep both Keane and Zouma? I dont think either look very good next to Mina and realistically he will be 1st choice.

I would keep them both cos I consider us having bigger problems at other areas of the pitch than at CB.

Both are good enough for a year or 2, IMO.

Of course they arent top tier, none of our CBs are really, but as I say, would be spending our pennies in other areas for now.

I think we keep Keane.

Then for an organiser it would be ideal to go for Manolas...but hes 27 and would ask big wages.

I wonder if we will follow the route that was discussed at the meeting and go for someone young who has the organisational skills and leadership qualities.

Zouma i thought was supposed to have these qualities and i expected mina to be quite a strong leader but neither seems to be a real organiser.

Similar to midfield, i wouldnt mind a clean sweep in centre back positions keeping Mina only + a u21 as 4th choice backup.

I think Zouma and Mina are both more 'aggressive' defenders. They like to get in on the front foot.

I don't think they naturally make good leaders until they get older and more towards their prime. They are both only 24, so plenty of time for that to improve.

I probably would keep Keane though, yeh. It's all academic though as I don't think we'll sign a CB until the summer (whether that's Zouma or someone else).

I would keep them both cos I consider us having bigger problems at other areas of the pitch than at CB.

Both are good enough for a year or 2, IMO.

Of course they arent top tier, none of our CBs are really, but as I say, would be spending our pennies in other areas for now.

Lets say Keane has a 'value' of £20-25mil
Zouma may also be the same or more.

If we did sell Keane and if we didnt go for Zouma theres around £40-45mil there to find two CBs with and around £120k in existing centre back wages being moved on.

Id be quite disappointed if we didnt sign a partner for Mina...as i dont think the current 2 players compliment him at all.

I think when you mention other areas of the pitch being a problem them i totally agree.

The thing is, we have Digne and Mina (after this seasons bed-in period) who are very highly rated and thought of by the management.

It would be a shame if we didnt bring in a CB and a RB to complete the defensive quartet as then , with Pickford behind them, we have the foundations at the back complete.

Well if we look at the centre backs only we have:

Mina
Zouma (loan)
Keane
Jagielka (contract up end of season)
Holgate (on loan)
Pennington (on loan)
Browning (contract up end of season)
Feeney / Gibson (u23s)

What would be 'realistic' in terms of turning this into a very strong selection of 4 centre backs?

So, for me i would say we need 3 centre backs who are all competing with one another.

I'd say Mina would be one of them (obviously as we just signed him) and we would need to sign 2 more with one of the young players either Holgate, Feeney or Gibson perhaps as 4th choice in case of emergencies.

We then have

1 -- Mina
2 --
3 --
4 -- Holgate/Feeney/Gibson

Out: Keane/Zouma/Jags/Pennington/Browning

The weekly wages there would perhaps be around;

Keane £60k
Jags £50k
Pennington £10k
Browning £5k

So perhaps £125k a week which would cover 2 new centre backs wages + sales fees of perhaps £20-25mil from Keane and Pennington.

That amount would to towards 1 new centre back and we would need to find the money for a second.

I was asking @BlueToff who he would go for / keep...

Browning is on a lot more than £5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back