Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea mate.....I just don't believe one word anyone says in football and I think Mr Usmanov is already backing us so we have far more money than we are cracking on.

I wouldn't be suprised at all to see someone like Ndombele or Lozano in an Everton shirt come the 1st Feb.

For the last few windows we've had all the negativity around spending and every time we've come up trumps. Even last January, us giving what was basically a caretaker manager (in Mr Moshri's eyes) £50 million to spend was an indication of our new found wealth.

I don't see them pulling the purse strings on Brands and Silva any time soon. Especially after the success they have had with there last few signings and with Brands recentley being promoted to the board.

I see a lot of sense in this. If the tightening was likely to come (and I felt it may well have been) it would have been the summer. Very few of the people advocating that the money had run out and Moshiri couldn't keep dipping into his pocket can explain how we managed to go on the spending spree that came. The only bit of analysis really provided was that the impending austerity would be kicked down the road for another year. I sense that's where these rumours/feeling come from.

I just can't see it myself. So the question is, how did Moshiri square the circle? He's either got substantially more than is reported (which is widely acknowledged, but this would have to likely be substantially more like 4/5 x the reported value of him) or he is a front guy for a broader consortium. Either way money is there.

Running in parallel to this though is a revamping of the club, structure and approach to recruitment. I think the names you give are spot on, young players who could become World Class. I think that will be a lot of our approach. There is a chance we can't close deals this January though. What we've seen from Brands though, is he is happy to wait until the end of a window, and likely willing to wait until another window if necessary.

To me this is a good thing, we are not just going to recklessly spend money because it's their. It's done more harm than good when we did it (as Moshiri himself stated that it's about how it's spent). January is of course a difficult time to recruit, though you can get some very tasty deals from lads who are out of favour. I think this is where the Dzeko link comes from, Batshuayi and potentially even Ryan Fraser (who's contract is coming up). I could see us trying to do something for Fraser in the summer at a knockdown fee. The other 2 maybe one comes in at a significantly lower price?

Either way, we are doing things properly now. The lack of signings makes me strangely optimistic. That we are not going to go and spend a load on this years Walcott/Tosun and give ourselves a dilemma 12 months down the line. Don't get me wrong I think we will be looking at players, but they need to be the right player at the right price. We are identifying lads with 18 months to go (or with Brahimi 6 months) which is a sensible way to approach things. Make an offer if they won't accept know you can have another go in the summer in a strong position. The sort of sensible business management that has been missing from the club for many years, finally enacting with someone who has the competence and reputation to enact the policy effectively.

Or you could believe the money has ran out. It's up to people what they believe.

I see a lot of sense in this. If the tightening was likely to come (and I felt it may well have been) it would have been the summer. Very few of the people advocating that the money had run out and Moshiri couldn't keep dipping into his pocket can explain how we managed to go on the spending spree that came. The only bit of analysis really provided was that the impending austerity would be kicked down the road for another year. I sense that's where these rumours/feeling come from.

I just can't see it myself. So the question is, how did Moshiri square the circle? He's either got substantially more than is reported (which is widely acknowledged, but this would have to likely be substantially more like 4/5 x the reported value of him) or he is a front guy for a broader consortium. Either way money is there.

Running in parallel to this though is a revamping of the club, structure and approach to recruitment. I think the names you give are spot on, young players who could become World Class. I think that will be a lot of our approach. There is a chance we can't close deals this January though. What we've seen from Brands though, is he is happy to wait until the end of a window, and likely willing to wait until another window if necessary.

To me this is a good thing, we are not just going to recklessly spend money because it's their. It's done more harm than good when we did it (as Moshiri himself stated that it's about how it's spent). January is of course a difficult time to recruit, though you can get some very tasty deals from lads who are out of favour. I think this is where the Dzeko link comes from, Batshuayi and potentially even Ryan Fraser (who's contract is coming up). I could see us trying to do something for Fraser in the summer at a knockdown fee. The other 2 maybe one comes in at a significantly lower price?

Either way, we are doing things properly now. The lack of signings makes me strangely optimistic. That we are not going to go and spend a load on this years Walcott/Tosun and give ourselves a dilemma 12 months down the line. Don't get me wrong I think we will be looking at players, but they need to be the right player at the right price. We are identifying lads with 18 months to go (or with Brahimi 6 months) which is a sensible way to approach things. Make an offer if they won't accept know you can have another go in the summer in a strong position. The sort of sensible business management that has been missing from the club for many years, finally enacting with someone who has the competence and reputation to enact the policy effectively.

Or you could believe the money has ran out. It's up to people what they believe.

It's not about the money running out though, in the sense of some sort of war chest/pot of cash.

It's about making the club work sustainably in the future. Exactly as the soundbites from the club say, you can't keep signing older players on high wages and long contracts - that's how you sink a club. We'll still be able to drop £50m on a player in the summer most likely, but there just needs to be a huge effort to balance the wage books/make sure the age and potential re-sale value of the squad is right.

It's not about the money running out though, in the sense of some sort of war chest/pot of cash.

It's about making the club work sustainably in the future. Exactly as the soundbites from the club say, you can't keep signing older players on high wages and long contracts - that's how you sink a club. We'll still be able to drop £50m on a player in the summer most likely, but there just needs to be a huge effort to balance the wage books/make sure the age and potential re-sale value of the squad is right.

Ultimately Moshiri has a trading background. It's clear that there is a good opportunity in the PL to be a team that buys young talent and develops it. Nobody does it like teams in say the Bundesliga do. We are in many ways the closest. We have the youngest squad etc.

Ultimately if you buy good young players, and develop them they get sold for a big profit. Look at Lookman and DCL, even Pickford to a degree. We treble, maybe even quadruple our many on those 4 and in truth none of them are complete success stories.

It’s what he said at the AGM about buying younger players on low wages, even if we have to pay high fees.

Ultimately Moshiri has a trading background. It's clear that there is a good opportunity in the PL to be a team that buys young talent and develops it. Nobody does it like teams in say the Bundesliga do. We are in many ways the closest. We have the youngest squad etc.

Ultimately if you buy good young players, and develop them they get sold for a big profit. Look at Lookman and DCL, even Pickford to a degree. We treble, maybe even quadruple our many on those 4 and in truth none of them are complete success stories.

Dortmund do it and win things but in a weaker league. Be a struggle for us to do it and win a league unless we’re super lucky.

I’d be disappointed if we could only quadruple the DCL fee.

That’s rubbish.
Really?
Considering 16 outfield players have all scored for Roma in Serie a I wouldnt discount Dzeko.
Our current best Centre forward ( young Dom) has 6 in 22 .
Short term fix maybe, is he better than our current Centre forwards ? ....even at 32 hell yeah.
Till the end of season loan ?...yes please.
Schneides going the other way....bonus.

Many want Batshuayi , yet his record is poorer.Whatever floats ya boat I suppose.

Really?
Considering 16 outfield players have all scored for Roma in Serie a I wouldnt discount Dzeko.
Our current best Centre forward ( young Dom) has 6 in 22 .
Short term fix maybe, is he better than our current Centre forwards ? ....even at 32 hell yeah.
Till the end of season loan ?...yes please.
Schneides going the other way....bonus.

Many want Batshuayi , yet his record is poorer.Whatever floats ya boat I suppose.

I don’t think a loan until the end of the season is realistic at all though, and it’s much more likely to be a massive fee and massive wages for a nearly 33 year old who barely has a better scoring record this season than Dominic Calvert-Lewin. So it’s a no thanks from me.

Edin Dzeko is top class in my opinion, you saw that in last years Champions league. Despite him being 33 I'd have him in our squad without doubt
I hope there’s some truth in this. He’s stop top class. If we can include Morgan in any deal too Marcel deserves a knighthood

I don’t think a loan until the end of the season is realistic at all though, and it’s much more likely to be a massive fee and massive wages for a nearly 33 year old who barely has a better scoring record this season than Dominic Calvert-Lewin. So it’s a no thanks from me.
Probably not even anything in the story tbh.
But we do need a striker and he fits the bill at this moment in time.Couldnt care less how much or how old , as long as he made a difference up front for us, but again we do need a striker......badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back