January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is our best player by a mile and think the mere notion of getting rid of him, let alone people being happy about it, is utter madness.

Such is life.

Thing is, if he was genuinely our best player, of he was as good as people say, and if he was indeed as important as some would have you believe, there wouldn't be so much debate about his ability. I can't remember many people thinking Arteta wasn't good enough, for example, or splitting the fan base the way Gueye does.

Just a thought.

I don't know if he's our best player, but IMO he's our most irreplaceable one. What irriates me is this idea that he gives it away or doesn't pass it forward. It's like the Michael Keane is slow opinion. It's been disproven with objective evidence and even opinions from folks that are hands on, but it seems to still be an opinion.

When you've got a very slow midfielder/second striker already in Siggy, you can't have a bunch of other ones around him. Gomes has a bit of what we need in midfield when we have the ball, but the second we give it up he's pretty much worthless. Gana is asked to do SO much.

I think some maybe don't understand how important Gana is to our tactics. He basically covers both sides as we tend to lose the ball a lot. It's unreal the amount of ground he covers and what an effective disruptor he is of what other teams are trying to do. I think a lot of folks just ball watch and only see players passing, shooting, instead of how they function off the ball.

Even when clubs like PSG come calling, some here STILL think he's crap. It's just sad and quite ignorant, really. You'd think if PSG and some of the others that have been after him - Chelsea last summer, now Arsenal/Man City - that some here might revisit their opinions. I know much like certain stats might make me think twice about my opinion on a player.
Yeah... keane’s still slow. You can show me as much objective evidence as you want, but he’ll still be slow.

Thing is, if he was genuinely our best player, of he was as good as people say, and if he was indeed as important as some would have you believe, there wouldn't be so much debate about his ability. I can't remember many people thinking Arteta wasn't good enough, for example, or splitting the fan base the way Gueye does.

Just a thought.

Well not really, I think its more the fact that we have a very average team. being the best in the team doesn't automatically mean he is a great player or anything. Also people rate Arteta on what he was good at and what he was there to do. People don't seem to do that any more.

Just a thought.
Fair point but I think it's partly because Arteta was a player easier on the eye. He looked like a good player, whereas Gueye is very much a water carrier, and not everybody appreciates them. Not saying you don't by the way, just that some obviously don't.

He is slow to react (in my opinion) which is obviously a different thing.
Yeah he's definitely slow to react but i'd also say he's quite slow to cover ground. He can probably hit a decent mph on the speed gun when he's in full flow and running in a straight line, but he has very poor acceleration and isn't able to run quickly diagonally for example, to cut out a pass or make a tackle.

Yeah he's definitely slow to react but i'd also say he's quite slow to cover ground. He can probably hit a decent mph on the speed gun when he's in full flow and running in a straight line, but he has very poor acceleration and isn't able to run quickly diagonally for example, to cut out a pass or make a tackle.
No question.

time to bust out this meme again
1548861765892.webp

I don't know if he's our best player, but IMO he's our most irreplaceable one. What irriates me is this idea that he gives it away or doesn't pass it forward. It's like the Michael Keane is slow opinion. It's been disproven with objective evidence and even opinions from folks that are hands on, but it seems to still be an opinion.

When you've got a very slow midfielder/second striker already in Siggy, you can't have a bunch of other ones around him. Gomes has a bit of what we need in midfield when we have the ball, but the second we give it up he's pretty much worthless. Gana is asked to do SO much.

I think some maybe don't understand how important Gana is to our tactics. He basically covers both sides as we tend to lose the ball a lot. It's unreal the amount of ground he covers and what an effective disruptor he is of what other teams are trying to do. I think a lot of folks just ball watch and only see players passing, shooting, instead of how they function off the ball.

Even when clubs like PSG come calling, some here STILL think he's crap. It's just sad and quite ignorant, really. You'd think if PSG and some of the others that have been after him - Chelsea last summer, now Arsenal/Man City - that some here might revisit their opinions. I know much like certain stats might make me think twice about my opinion on a player.

Gana is one of our best players. He has been very good this season.

The issue we have, is we probably need a bit more from a midfielder. We are also getting a good fee for him and it fits the broader picture of recruitment which is offloading older players and looking to recruit younger ones. I think they are the arguments in favour of selling him, not that he is a poor player.

Anything over £25 million pounds for a 29 year old, when you have so few saleable assets (as we do) has to be given serious consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back