Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldnt mind us going in for Cedric Soares to replace Coleman in the summer.

Portuguese, only 27 and for me a very good player in a poor Saints side.

Maybe Rico could play that role, but then we're taking away what he offers up top (which, and this showed the other night, is absolutely crucial to Silva's system, crucial).

Lookman keeping possession but actually not doing anything with it just like the rest of them was the problem. And he was actually the one who gave possession away (foul or not) for their goal...

It sounds like I'm slating Lookman, but I'm not. I'm just saying a team needs balance and Walcott helps give us that balance.

Do we need an upgrade? Yeh, probably, but that's not going to happen for now and he really hasn't been playing badly. He just hasn't finished his chances which has been incredibly frustrating.

Is this Lookman's fault though? There was nothing in front of him. The movement was often poor, one off or in combination, and no one looked good in the tight space. Both him, Gomes and Digne were at a loss by the end.
Maybe if he was the one receiving the ball we might of had a bit more joy.

In matches like Newcastle I'd be going for something like (ideal attacking formation):
-----------Bernard-----------Lookman----------------Richarlison
Digne---------------Sig-------------------Gomes--------------------
-----------------------------------Gana----------------------Coleman

Get the ball to Lookman, then he's dribbling at them, or setting up Sig, Rico or Bernard.
Bernard, Lookman, Digne drawing in defence on left, runs into box Sig and Rico (for head or boot)
Sig and Lookman rotating makes sense - have to create space for Sig to make those runs in.
Maybe be way off the mark, but Lookman could be a huge threat if he was in the box more.

OR Lookman replacing Bernard's on LW and DCL in at 9 for his headers.

Altidore led the league in scoring there. Michael Bradley, a defensive mid got 20+. I remember Boro once buying a guy who had something like back to back 30+ goal seasons and scored like 5 for them. Only good one I can think of is Ratface.
That’s Alfonso Alves. Kuyt had a great record there before he came over here and ended up a midfielder. He scored when he retuned there.

If I had my way I would sell Niasse, Lookman, Schneiderlin. Bolasie, Mc Carthy and even Tosun, in order to fund the transfers of a top scoring striker, Lozano and the permanent transfer of Gomes.

If I had my way I would sell Niasse, Lookman, Schneiderlin. Bolasie, Mc Carthy and even Tosun, in order to fund the transfers of a top scoring striker, Lozano and the permanent transfer of Gomes.
I doubt all six of them would bring in much more than one of those three purchases would cost, sadly. I think Lookman has loads of potential actually. I'd keep him unless he pushes for a transfer again.

Yes ijjysmith I agree with you on the extra 4 players to sell, but I would still sell Lookman because he would probably bring in the most money and we would not need him if we signed Lozano.

Which is a better goal return than he's currently offering, hence why I expect/desire an improvement from him - I don't think that's too difficult to understand.

If you're asking whether five to ten goals a season is enough for us to progress further, well that's another question entirely. But, no in the long-term I admit I don't.

I do wish for better but I doubt that Lookman will currently offer anywhere near as many as we may expect from Walcott, let alone from what we eventually desire.

It isnt a far better goal return though, walcott has played 15 games (1 sub) and scored 2 goals. If he played another 15 games and scored 2 more goals thats 30 games and 4 goals + 1 more for the remaining games = 38 games and 5 goals.

He has scored 8 goals or less in 8 seasons.

Hence why im not sure what is expected of him? To suddenly become a goalscorer?

We dont know how many lookman can score aside from cameos + his stint in germany but sticking with a busted flush isnt smart.

What do you mean Zat?

I meant we missed Walcott getting in that right hand channel and running in behind (like he does for all of his chances).

Lookman didn't do that. It's got nothing to do with stats.

I like Lookman and I said before Wednesday's game it was right to take Walcott out. But it's not wrong to say that we missed Walcott's pace because we did.

So because one player runs quickly we should ignore all of the statistical evidence?

Thats illogical. If Lookman failed in a run of 3 games then we would need to consider a third solution.

Is this Lookman's fault though? There was nothing in front of him. The movement was often poor, one off or in combination, and no one looked good in the tight space. Both him, Gomes and Digne were at a loss by the end.
Maybe if he was the one receiving the ball we might of had a bit more joy.

In matches like Newcastle I'd be going for something like (ideal attacking formation):
-----------Bernard-----------Lookman----------------Richarlison
Digne---------------Sig-------------------Gomes--------------------
-----------------------------------Gana----------------------Coleman

Get the ball to Lookman, then he's dribbling at them, or setting up Sig, Rico or Bernard.
Bernard, Lookman, Digne drawing in defence on left, runs into box Sig and Rico (for head or boot)
Sig and Lookman rotating makes sense - have to create space for Sig to make those runs in.
Maybe be way off the mark, but Lookman could be a huge threat if he was in the box more.

OR Lookman replacing Bernard's on LW and DCL in at 9 for his headers.

I find it amusing that Lookman has never played on the right side before and yet Silva is trying him there because Walcott is so poor.

But people just assume he should slot into an alien position against a defence sitting so deep and lay on chances and score goals...despite no one else achieving much in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back