Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joel has been good.

We still need a 'top level' keeper though, or one that is going to be one sooner rather than later.

That being said, those players aren't available half-way through the campaign, and Joel's been playing well.

Stek is reasonable back-up, so we'll be going with those two until the end of the season. I can see a move for Forster and/or Pickford (or the like) in the summer though.

You ask a reasonable question. To me Heaton is an upgrade, but I definitely see where you are coming from.

Not sold on Joel's consistency, but as we won't be in for a keeper this window and since he has earned the first choice spot we will see how he does with a long run of matches.

Did think Joel was ace yesterday on those late corners.
Seen Heaton a few times and he makes some outsranding saves. Cant speak for his consistency though as I dont follow Burnley closely enough.

I can speak for Robles though and I think he's been very consistent since replacing Howard last year and in the games he's played this season. Only one bad game against Sunderland away.

Also think his game has picked up this year with good coaching and maturity. Decision making looks better and also more commanding. Looking very composed too.

Hopefully will play remaining games this season and see if he continues to impress.

How much do you reckon Heaton would cost? .£25m+ ?.

I expect it will be a fairly dull week. Rumours probably won't pick up much intensity until the weekend, in advance of TDD.

January TDD is usually quite flat anyway, we might we one more signing in, and I'm sure we have room for one more that goes balls up as well, just to maintain tradition.

Would be surprised if we got two or more in.

TDD isn't until next Thursday, so as you say plenty of time in advance of that.

I think as soon as the Del deal goes thorough we'll start seeing a few more rumours towards the end of the week.

Del has gone and Lennon doesn't fit into a 3 at the back formation. Lookman seems a great fit for what we need in that pocket behind Rom to the left - I expect he will be getting a lot of playing time.

Seen Heaton a few times and he makes some outsranding saves. Cant speak for his consistency though as I dont follow Burnley closely enough.

I can speak for Robles though and I think he's been very consistent since replacing Howard last year and in the games he's played this season. Only one bad game against Sunderland away.

Also think his game has picked up this year with good coaching and maturity. Decision making looks better and also more commanding. Looking very composed too.

Hopefully will play remaining games this season and see if he continues to impress.

How much do you reckon Heaton would cost? .£25m+ ?.

Heaton, he's 30. Come the summer they won't want to sell him but it'll be £15m(ish) I reckon if he does go.

Heaton, he's 30. Come the summer they won't want to sell him but it'll be £15m(ish) I reckon if he does go.
Thought it would be higher at todays inflated prices and with him being in the England squad. Plus 30 is prime for a GK. Wouldnt complain if we struck a deal at that level but still to be convinced he's an actual upgrade on Joel.

Thought it would be higher at todays inflated prices and with him being in the England squad. Plus 30 is prime for a GK. Wouldnt complain if we struck a deal at that level but still to be convinced he's an actual upgrade on Joel.

He's definitely an upgrade on Joel but given his age there's not loads of room for improvement.

He's definitely an upgrade on Joel but given his age there's not loads of room for improvement.
Not sure you know. Joels starting to win me over. We have the rest of the season to appraise him further but if he continues in the same vein I'd be happy to give him the nod.

I'd also be happy if we brought in Heaton for £15m though.

TDD isn't until next Thursday, so as you say plenty of time in advance of that.

I think as soon as the Del deal goes thorough we'll start seeing a few more rumours towards the end of the week.
I wonder with the deadline being so short now and the lack of news or mentions then that is our business sorted already.

Not a complaint, but to have nothing put there is a little odd for a team planning on doing more business. At most I can see 1 coming in, an attacker as 3 out and 3 in but can't see that third being anything special

why are we being linked with so many aging centre backs? We'd get max 1-2 seasons out of Ivanovic, a player who is past his peak or Chelsea wouldn't be selling him. He's probably on big wages too. Weird.
I assumed it was because we have great looking prospects, so only need players for the next 18-24 months, then Galloway, holgate, Pennington etc will hopefully be ready to step up.

For the people who are calling for us to sign Heaton or jordan pickford. Let me just say that it is much easier to look good as a keeper when your down there and getting shot after shot hit at you all game.

There are numerous examples of goalkeepers who played really well for struggling premier league teams who then signed for a bigger club and failed to impress. Paul Robinsons best days were at Leeds I thought, he was doing there what pickford and heaton are doing this season and struggled at a new club. David marshall even looked brilliant at Cardiff a few years back in the prem and then now he looks bang average.

Joel robles in my opinion has been excellent and neither heaton or certainly pickford would be an upgrade. Joel has a great build for a goalkeeper and if he can get his head right for the parts of his game he struggles with he will be just fine for now. And I'm talking about coming for crosses and commanding his area which he's done really well this season.

The only keepers we can truly look at who can be considered a real upgrade are the likes of leno. Anyone watch Heaton for England recently? For a keeper playing in a big club or nation can really show their true colours.

Besides I think ben foster has been better than Heaton and pickford this season. Not that I think we should get him though

wasnt robinson at leeds when they were a champions league team and up around top of the premier league? daft comparison to heaten and pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back