Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't say all players in the Dutch league were bad, just its difficult to judge if these guys are going to be a success.

Suarez and RvP etc against some average players who also came and sucked.

Ricky van dog winkle remember him ??

Wasnt his only goal versus us?

Really surprised by Vinny Jansssen, he looked a real talent, not just in the Dutch league but Internationally, havent managed to watch him loads but he looks totally off the pace, still think he will come good personally.

Really surprised by Vinny Jansssen, he looked a real talent, not just in the Dutch league but Internationally, havent managed to watch him loads but he looks totally off the pace, still think he will come good personally.

Might still come good to be fair to Vinny Janssen so see how he goes but with Kane injured recently didn't really establish himself.

Step up is too much for him at this moment though

I half agree on Koulibaly but, Napoli's president himself has confirmed we bid on two separate occasions (as in he'd confirmed it twice, not that we bid twice).

They didn't want to sell.

But yeh, it would have been apt to spend that money on more players towards the end of the window, though we were very close to spending half of it...

Still hope we can buy him.

I saw him a lot with AZ; he scored plenty there but the problem with the Dutch league is that it isn't exactly renowned for good defending. Still hope he'll come good but atm it isn't looking good, especially because it's a likeable person.

Zlatan only scored 13 goals max at Ajax. Goalscoring statistics are a poor measure for ability. If that's all you're looking at you'll end up with players like Kezman, Ruiz, Altidore, Alves, etc. Other than that, 10 goals and 3 assists in 12 starts is pretty good for a 19 year old that just made his debut a few months ago.

As far as his skills go, he's got it all. He's fast, strong, intelligent, creative, technically exquisite, hard and accurate shot, goalscoring instinct, good in 1-on-1, strong link up play and a good header.

There are a couple of reasons why I don't think the move is likely. 1) Just last week he expressed his desire to stay at least a couple of years. He wants to be sure of playing time. 2) He has a contract till 2021. 3) Ajax just sold Milik for 34 million and are the most financially healthy club in Europe. 4) Every big club in Europe follows him and has been linked with him.

So unless Everton are willing to go absolutely crazy on both transfer fee and salary I don't see it happening.

The only hope we have to sign him is if Koeman can convince him that he will start up front with lukaku each game.

Would also need to sign him in Jan as summer he will be off to a huge side.

The only hope we have to sign him is if Koeman can convince him that he will start up front with lukaku each game.

Would also need to sign him in Jan as summer he will be off to a huge side.

Think you could be right but 20 million for a "could be", you yourself have identified great prospects for less money.

He looks a great player and if we are going to take the chance it has to be in January, otherwise given Man Cities comments he will be there in the summer.

As someone of who has been following the Dutch league and especially Ajax for over 30 years I have to say that Dolberg is something special. I have rarely seen anything like him. Extremely talented in almost every aspect of his trade. Milik and Janssen do not even compare.

I don't think Everton would be able to sign him though.
Why is that? good wage and football in the world's most popular league. if he does well here, the world's his oyster.
Edit: I've seen your later replies :)

Last edited:

Think you could be right but 20 million for a "could be", you yourself have identified great prospects for less money.

He looks a great player and if we are going to take the chance it has to be in January, otherwise given Man Cities comments he will be there in the summer.

The difference is that its so hard to find top strikers. Even Man City are hoovering them up from Brazil now.

Lukaku went for nearly £20mil as an 18 year old...this guy seems to have everything.

The difference is that its so hard to find top strikers. Even Man City are hoovering them up from Brazil now.

Lukaku went for nearly £20mil as an 18 year old...this guy seems to have everything.

You see this is the problem Zat, you get yourself all worked up over a player who is very highly rated through Europe, his hatrick last week put him on everyones radar who wasnt already watching him. No doubt we will have a sniff, along with many others, but honestly our chances are slim and when he moves somewhere else you will spend months going on about how we missed the chance and all that jazz.

Its not just you, im done it myself in the past with regards the boy Dzeko, but realistically, if a player is VERY highly rated, we currently have little chance of getting them.

You see this is the problem Zat, you get yourself all worked up over a player who is very highly rated through Europe, his hatrick last week put him on everyones radar who wasnt already watching him. No doubt we will have a sniff, along with many others, but honestly our chances are slim and when he moves somewhere else you will spend months going on about how we missed the chance and all that jazz.

Its not just you, im done it myself in the past with regards the boy Dzeko, but realistically, if a player is VERY highly rated, we currently have little chance of getting them.

I dont think i've complained when a player we should have moved for his chosen another team over us....

What I do think we should be doing is signing players up months before the window opens, or doing as much as we can do without officially signing them.

It always seems so slapdash the way we wait till the window before making bids, surely we should be in talks with a few clubs now...tee up everything ready for them to sign on Jan 1st.

I cant think of any time we have done this other than when we got Beckford whose contract was expiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back