Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I am seeing this - We have already managed to offload Niasse, Clev, Del and McGeady and there looks like lots of talk of Gibson, Oviedo and Jags going too before the end of this window, possibly Kone too.

The 2 players brought in so far are very welcome additions and add a bit of something already, plus the emergence of Davies and Holgate is a massive bonus.

I reckon we will spend big on a couple of major targets and shock a few people. One will be a striker, the other a winger or play maker. Also another centre back in for sure if Jags goes, but of not a big name centre half in the summer.

We have been saying that for ages though. It's only 16 games so fingers crossed we can get one, but i'm ok if it doesn't happen.
Yeah but I think that's a really bad way to look at it though.

Sixteen games is still a large amount, we want to push for a high as a possible place, He literally could get injured in any one of those games and we'd have no body.

For me it's a really really important thing to get one in.

16 games could be the difference between 7th and 5th.

Sixteen games is still a large amount, we want to push for a high as a possible place, He literally could get injured in any one of those games and we'd have no body.

It is. But as I say we've been needing another striker for ages. I think i'm just used to it not happening.

There are three positions we need to fill in this window or the summer one where the signing needs to be better than what we have and be able to come straight into the first team, namely goalkeeper, centreback and depending on the formation a wide forward/creative winger. These players need to be better than those currently occupying the shirt, Robles, Funes Mori and Mirallas. We'll struggle to get the keeper and centre back this window I think but a wide forward is more achievable. Then its a case of padding the squad and making sure we have cover in all positions, at the moment up top is where we have nothing beyond Lukaku, this for me is where Walsh needs to earn his money. Without Eurpoe we aren't going to attract the likes of Batshuayi to sit on our bench like Chelsea can so we're going to have to find someone from a lessre league who isn't as well known.

Were to far off 5th to get 5th

I think we are probably done in terms of signings now, get rid of the tosh, save about 400k a week or whatever it is, spend a load in the summer

Ezpz

There surely needs to be a wide player / attacking midfielder brought in. I mean, surely Koeman isn't going to allow Mirallas and Lennon as our only wingers in the squad?

Why not?

We essentially play best with 3 at the back and advanced full backs, two up front. So if you've got Lukaku / Mirallas / Lookman / Valencia for the front two spots and can't get a high quality player in, what is the worry?

Save the cash and spend in the summer.

Coming round to the thought that any players we really want aren't available now so no point in signing people just for the sake of it if they aren't in our long term plans. If we fix up deals for the summer in the next few months then i'd prefer that to overspending now and trying to ship that player out in the summer or next January.

Yes we have areas we need to improve on but if we have to wait then so be it.

Coming round to the thought that any players we really want aren't available now so no point in signing people just for the sake of it if they aren't in our long term plans. If we fix up deals for the summer in the next few months then i'd prefer that to overspending now and trying to ship that player out in the summer or next January.

Yes we have areas we need to improve on but if we have to wait then so be it.

Having spent £35m already.

Joel's in a little bit of form, so we don't drop him. Get a high class goalkeeper in the summer.

Totally agree with you, we need no more signings (for the first team) as I don't think realistically we can push for fourth

...but we desperately needed another CM to add to the others we have for the last 16 games?

Yes, get him now while he is available. Probably Barry will leave over the summer.

Also, we essentially play with 3 midfielders in a fast press - very fitness intensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back