Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping we are working on a couple of first team targets that we always knew wouldn't be available till much later in the window. Schneiderlin was a priority with Gana gone but i still don't think he was our No 1 target (if that makes sense). I still think there might be one more big signing to come.

Having spent £35m already.

Joel's in a little bit of form, so we don't drop him. Get a high class goalkeeper in the summer.

Totally agree with you, we need no more signings (for the first team) as I don't think realistically we can push for fourth
Going back to our previous manager who used to say about being stronger at the end of the window than at the start I would say we are right now if we had no more business done. Obviously should players leave we may need to replace them but it isn't the end of the world if we don't as long as it is deadwood who leaves.

Coming round to the thought that any players we really want aren't available now so no point in signing people just for the sake of it if they aren't in our long term plans. If we fix up deals for the summer in the next few months then i'd prefer that to overspending now and trying to ship that player out in the summer or next January.

Yes we have areas we need to improve on but if we have to wait then so be it.

Would MS still have been available if we'd have waited until the summer? Maybe we could have waited but no one reasonably could have predicted how quickly Davies would have aclimatised to the premier league. Before this run of form the should of Gueye heading off to the ACON and leaving us with Barry partnered with one of Cleverely or the perennially injured McCarthy and Besic was not something many were looking forward to.

Why not?

We essentially play best with 3 at the back and advanced full backs, two up front. So if you've got Lukaku / Mirallas / Lookman / Valencia for the front two spots and can't get a high quality player in, what is the worry?

Save the cash and spend in the summer.

I still think that we need a winger, there will be times were the opposition cramp the middle of the park to stifle ross and tom, having the option of two wingers or even two striker to stretch the pitch is not to be overlooked.

Going back to our previous manager who used to say about being stronger at the end of the window than at the start I would say we are right now if we had no more business done. Obviously should players leave we may need to replace them but it isn't the end of the world if we don't as long as it is deadwood who leaves.

Agree, but as you suggest, it's not imperative to replace players like Kone or Gibson if they leave (until the summer). They have no impact and we've only got the league games remaining, for which the squad is certainly big enough. We've got Calvert-lewin to come back up front, Gana in midfield, and personally I think we're all right in defence.

We could get rid of Oviedo, Gibson and Kone without replacing them and be none the worse for it. Jagielka I'm not so sure

Would MS still have been available if we'd have waited until the summer? Maybe we could have waited but no one reasonably could have predicted how quickly Davies would have aclimatised to the premier league. Before this run of form the should of Gueye heading off to the ACON and leaving us with Barry partnered with one of Cleverely or the perennially injured McCarthy and Besic was not something many were looking forward to.
Maybe not but he was so we signed him. What I am saying is if they aren't a main target who we are looking to build the future around then there isn't much point in signing someone for the sake of it and being stuck with a high wage player we don't want in the future. It is fairly obvious that MS was the number one target for January and we got him, if we have missed out on targets 2,3,4 and 5 as they aren't for sale at present why sign somebody as an afterthought if next season Koeman will want rid?

I still think that we need a winger, there will be times were the opposition cramp the middle of the park to stifle ross and tom, having the option of two wingers or even two striker to stretch the pitch is not to be overlooked.

Then we move Mirallas our wide, or we've got Lennon. We've seen Valencia and Barkley get put out wide too, and Lookman.

I reckon we are covered now.

Get rid of these on permanent deals asap ffs!

Kone, Cleverley, McGeady, Niasse, Rodriguez, McAleny, Oviedo, Garbutt, Gibson, Steklenburg, Lennon, Jagielka.

Over 300k a week being thrown down the drain on players who offer NOTHING whatsoever.

Seriously ? We will need to move them on eventually, but right now Oviedo covers for a older Baines, Stek is arguably number 1 keeper until joel's good run, Lennon is cover for the right wing, maybe cover seamus in the RWB position, and Jagielka is the cover for the three centre backs should any of them tire or get injured.

Then we move Mirallas our wide, or we've got Lennon. We've seen Valencia and Barkley get put out wide too, and Lookman.

I reckon we are covered now.

I think Ade can play on the wing, but playing a centre mid or forward on the wing is ridiculous for me, el senor should be testament to this floored philosophy. See Cleverley as another example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back