Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly

If Baxter was a really good player who'd had a bad period, no one would be complaining as they'd be happy to have a good player on the books

But because he ended up going to the lower leagues the knives are out for the club for doing something good for an ex player

No, we're not a "rehabilitation centre" but we are a football club with a strong community link, and a community looks after it's own

It also falls into the remit and one i think was stated by Martinez at the time - as the club doing it's very best to ensure any player comign through the academy secured a good future in the game and was given the right support etc throughout, maybe they reckon we didn't with this lad originally - who knows really

Kenny's a good little player, but I think he's more of a traditional fullback too. Doesn't have the pace or ability to run with the ball enough to be a "wingback". Comfortable on the ball though. Seen him play centre back too and despite being far too small to play there, look lovely and assured.

Honestly mate only saw him in the euro under 17s when england won it and then the few times hes played for us, but lad looks really top quality IMO - thought he looked to have really good pace personally - at least comparable to a peak baines for example

Honestly mate only saw him in the euro under 17s when england won it and then the few times hes played for us, but lad looks really top quality IMO - thought he looked to have really good pace personally - at least comparable to a peak baines for example

I'm a big Kenny fan, just don't think that role would suit him. Having said that, I doubt Koeman will be wedded to this system, so I think he has every chance of a decent career here anyway.

It also falls into the remit and one i think was stated by Martinez at the time - as the club doing it's very best to ensure any player comign through the academy secured a good future in the game and was given the right support etc throughout, maybe they reckon we didn't with this lad originally - who knows really

That's a good point

His relationship with Sgt Major Moyes was "frosty" at best

Under a more supportive manager maybe things would have been different?

Exactly

If Baxter was a really good player who'd had a bad period, no one would be complaining as they'd be happy to have a good player on the books

But because he ended up going to the lower leagues the knives are out for the club for doing something good for an ex player

No, we're not a "rehabilitation centre" but we are a football club with a strong community link, and a community looks after it's own

My initial reaction to this news was along the lines of "WTF", but after thinking about it a bit I think I'm in agreement with you Mikey.

Very proud of the club's social conscience and if they think they're in a position to help someone who has lost their way, then good on them.

My sole concern would be Baxter proving a bad influence on our younger players, but if we think we can deal with that then helping one of our graduates who has made some very poor decisions is an admirable thing to do.

That's a good point

His relationship with Sgt Major Moyes was "frosty" at best

Under a more supportive manager maybe things would have been different?
In all honesty I doubt it, he is a good league 1 player and if things had been different maybe he'd be a good championship player. Don't think he'd ever have reached the heights of being a good Premier league player.

In all honesty I doubt it, he is a good league 1 player and if things had been different maybe he'd be a good championship player. Don't think he'd ever have reached the heights of being a good Premier league player.

I meant more along him not getting in drugs and such

An arm around him at the right time might have kept him on the straight and narrow

Yeah, he might have still gone down a league or two, but he would have been clean

The Moyes "tough love" approach had success stories like Coleman, but every player is different and he never seemed to grasp that

I meant more along him not getting in drugs and such

An arm around him at the right time might have kept him on the straight and narrow

Yeah, he might have still gone down a league or two, but he would have been clean

The Moyes "tough love" approach had success stories like Coleman, but every player is different and he never seemed to grasp that
Ah, misread what you put.

Good point, who knows what may have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back