Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonder if we might see a late bid for Gabbiadini.... I know we dropped our interest, but thought that might be due to Napoli holding out for 20m. With them apparently now at 17m and Southampton at 13m I wonder if we might throw out a 15 or 16 m bid....

I think he is best on the right side, but he could also be an insurance policy of sorts behind Rom.

Not saying I want it (or that I don't - I think if played properly there is a player there...) just that it would not shock me.
Seems that is what we do. Bid late for players we can't sign ala yarmalenko twice.

Just to show we were active but couldn't do a deal.

This whole Baxter story and some of the comments on this thread, some of you should hold your head in shame. None of us know what the lad has been through. Its easy to say he has wasted a wonderful opportunity presented to him twice by taking drugs. We do not know what led Jose to take the path he has. There could be all sorts that has gone on in his personal life that we have no right to know about.

If the club are offering him the chance to get back into football with the U23's i would imagine they have a greater insight into a. what the reasons are/were for his drug taking and b. the state of mind the lad is in now. I for one welcome that our club are seen to be trying to 'help' ex players etc who for whatever reason have hit hard times or are trying to get back on the straight and narrow.

We as a club are a leading light when it comes to the local and surrounding communities, and i for one long hope that continues.

Mate I'll be blunt on this. It would be good if the team supported him being one of our academy players and you would hope that it gets him back onto the right path and he can forge a career after making mistakes in his youth. Happy for the club to do that and it is another example of what makes this club the best in the world.

But

There is no need for this sympathetic approach to it. We don't know why he took drugs? Yes we do, he is a tit. Let it all go to his head with the money and fame and has terrible mates who live that culture. He isn't the first young person to be on drugs and wot be the last. Just so happens he was a footballer and it came back to bite him in the arse big time. Bad circles, maybe a bad egg himself, point is the reason why he did and continued to take drugs is because he wanted to, because his mates did and it was fine to do it up until he got caught. So as much as it might be the normal thing to tread eggshells around anything and do the whole we don't know attitude, that approach isn't for me.

Same thing as last season 'oh you don't know martinez doesn't work on set pieces ' except we didn't, and it was clear as day we didn't. Same principle. Baxter was a tit, no other reason behind it. He deserves the bad credit he has now and I he comes back here and puts his head down and turns things around then all credit to him for doing that. Doesn't change the fact he has no one to blame but himself and is another example of a young player focusing on the fame rather than the football.

Last edited:

Mate I'll be blunt on this. It would be good if the team supported him being one of our academy players and you would hope that it gets him back onto the right path and he can forge a career after making mistakes in his youth. Happy for the club to do that and it is another example of what makes this club the best in the world.

But

There is no need for this sympathetic approach to it. We don't know why he took drugs? Yes we do, he is a tit. Let it all go to his head with the money and fame and has terrible mates who live that culture. He isn't the first young person to be on drugs and wot be the last. Just so happens he was a footballer and it came back to bite him in the arse big time. Bad circles, maybe a bad egg himself, point is the reason why he did and continued to take drugs is because he wanted to, because his mates did and it was fine to do it up until he got caught. So as much as it might be the normal thing to tread eggshells around anything and do the whole we don't know attitude, that approach isn't for me.

Same thing as last season 'oh you don't know martinez doesn't work on set pieces ' except we didn't, and it was clear as day we didn't. Same principle. Baxter was a tit, no other reason behind it. He deserves the bad credit he has now and I he comes back here and puts his head down and turns things around then all credit to him for doing that. Doesn't change the fact he has no one to blame but himself and is another example of a young player focusing on the fame esthetic than the football.
Totally spot on my friend.

This sends out all the wrong messages and the decision is beyond belief.

If we wanted him as an anti drugs campaigner for the young kids then fine but a playing contract !

Personally reckon all Baxter talk should stay in his thread now. I'd take a jarg link or two to some YouTube worldly in here right now.

You've got to imagine that if we're in the running for another 'significant' signing we'll hear something over the weekend. The window is creaking shut.

Totally spot on my friend.

This sends out all the wrong messages and the decision is beyond belief.

If we wanted him as an anti drugs campaigner for the young kids then fine but a playing contract !
He won't be an Everton player. Chances are in 12 months he will be off to a new club and I think the idea behind it will be he helped him turn it around whilst he was still young. But the onus will be on him I imagine to get his head down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back