Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one that ain't going away, the Newcastle journos reporting around it are normally clued in with what's happening, no loss of he goes really, we will struggle to get all our cms games as is now.

..yep, I posted an assumption earlier that McCarthy might have won Koeman over after his display against Arsenal in particular but not so much that he would stand in the players way if he forced a move. I think McCarthy might fancy going to Newcastle.

Another consideration is the persistent hamstring problem. I don't think it's a coincidence that when he really put in a shift against Arsenal and Liverpool it popped again. As a fellow hamstring struggler, players tend to protect them which might explain why his form dipped for so long.

There lies the problem in the striker hunt.

Yeah its a difficult one to do. The player coming in must surely know there is no chance of him dislodging lukaku until he gets injured or leaves.
Id like to hear a list of a few genuine realistic targets of who people think will come in at a back up cost, and happy to play second fiddle. 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there etc

Unless you go for a striker who can play the role mirallas is as well, plays a lot more in that case and can shift up top should lukaku need rest or pick a knock up and mirallas slots back in.

I'd say we need a proper proper striker rather than a Mirallas type. But see what you mean.

But I'd prefer another out an out centre forward.

..yep, I posted an assumption earlier that McCarthy might have won Koeman over after his display against Arsenal in particular but not so much that he would stand in the players way if he forced a move. I think McCarthy might fancy going to Newcastle.

Another consideration is the persistent hamstring problem. I don't think it's a coincidence that when he really put in a shift against Arsenal and Liverpool it popped again. As a fellow hamstring struggler, players tend to protect them which might explain why his form dipped for so long.

Winning koeman over yet not enough to displacecthe three ahead, May perversely see Koeman more ammeniable to letting him get his,wish to move, as he's kinda not just downed tools and been professional...

Unless you go for a striker who can play the role mirallas is as well, plays a lot more in that case and can shift up top should lukaku need rest or pick a knock up and mirallas slots back in.

Thats why personally i would of gone for berahino. But then again he has barely played for a year, in his position i would pick somewere that i could play every minute and be main striker

Yeah I can definitely see Mccarthy going probably in the summer. We could possibly get over 15m for him too. The hamstring issue is obviously a concern too as you say. I'm not sure what it is about them, but I did mine about 7 years ago, and I still feel it sometimes after a hard sprint!

Yeah I can definitely see Mccarthy going probably in the summer. We could possibly get over 15m for him too. The hamstring issue is obviously a concern too as you say. I'm not sure what it is about them, but I did mine about 7 years ago, and I still feel it sometimes after a hard sprint!

...they leave scar tissue that is always likely to pop again. Funny enough, they finished me off and although I played 5 a side to a decent level till I was 40 they still went. I can only do an old mans gym jog nowadays.

I was chatting with one of the games top medics recently and mentioned McCarthy, he said they really have to be carefully managed with regards to warming up and stretching etc. You know my opinion of our facilities under Dr Irvine but I understand he's leaving soon.

I actually think bringing in a 2nd striker to Rom is going to prove to be almost impossible.

He is clearly the focal point of the team, in the same way Costa is at Chelsea. Has Batshuyai career improved since swapping regular 1st team football to sitting on a bench getting the odd few minutes here and there.

No player with any high quality is going to want to come and sit on the bench. We would be shopping in the market which contains the likes of Valencia again, or you buy young, promising talent like DCL or the interest in Hirst.

I am happy to see the club show full commitment to Rom as long as he is as committed to the clubs long term aims.
That last part is the knife edge we are on currently.

I'd say we need a proper proper striker rather than a Mirallas type. But see what you mean.

But I'd prefer another out an out centre forward.

Would love us to have a top class striking partnership. Lukaku and another quality forward could push us up the table like Suarez and Sturridge did at the RS

I actually think bringing in a 2nd striker to Rom is going to prove to be almost impossible.

He is clearly the focal point of the team, in the same way Costa is at Chelsea. Has Batshuyai career improved since swapping regular 1st team football to sitting on a bench getting the odd few minutes here and there.

No player with any high quality is going to want to come and sit on the bench. We would be shopping in the market which contains the likes of Valencia again, or you buy young, promising talent like DCL or the interest in Hirst.

I am happy to see the club show full commitment to Rom as long as he is as committed to the clubs long term aims.
That last part is the knife edge we are on currently.

Depends if RK wants to stay with 3-5-2, if so another striker you would imagine will be playing week in week out alongside Rom.

9/1 Wolves.

...generally stick to the horses although I've stuck a tentative £5 on a both teams to score in the first half accumulator (one of which is the Reds game). Funny side Wolves, they beat Stoke in the last round with a weakened team and were apparently awful last week but 9-1 isn't the worst bet (Reds will have an eye on Tuesday).

Depends if RK wants to stay with 3-5-2, if so another striker you would imagine will be playing week in week out alongside Rom.

The signing of Lookman and inclusion of Mirallas would indicate that a wing forward is the preferred '2nd striker'.

Just a shame DCL got injured when he did as he gave us the option. I would expect us to continue with him to the end of the season to see if he is capable. Ideal opportunity to experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back