Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I can definitely see Mccarthy going probably in the summer. We could possibly get over 15m for him too. The hamstring issue is obviously a concern too as you say. I'm not sure what it is about them, but I did mine about 7 years ago, and I still feel it sometimes after a hard sprint!

Snap a elastic band then tie it back together and stretch it mate and see how it differs, that's basically a wierd analogy of what repaired hamstrings are.

..yep, I posted an assumption earlier that McCarthy might have won Koeman over after his display against Arsenal in particular but not so much that he would stand in the players way if he forced a move. I think McCarthy might fancy going to Newcastle.

Another consideration is the persistent hamstring problem. I don't think it's a coincidence that when he really put in a shift against Arsenal and Liverpool it popped again. As a fellow hamstring struggler, players tend to protect them which might explain why his form dipped for so long.
Hope he does go, I don't really rate him as a footballer and we've got Liam Walsh waiting to come through who is going to be a much better player than McCarthy in my opinion.

It'd be a shame to see McCarthy drop down to the championship and working under FSW.
James is better than that
Not sure he is actually seeing as they will come up and be a midtable side next season. For all the ridiculing we give FSW he is a decent manager who will keep them away from the relegation dogfight next season now he has his own squad together.

..yep, I posted an assumption earlier that McCarthy might have won Koeman over after his display against Arsenal in particular but not so much that he would stand in the players way if he forced a move. I think McCarthy might fancy going to Newcastle.

Another consideration is the persistent hamstring problem. I don't think it's a coincidence that when he really put in a shift against Arsenal and Liverpool it popped again. As a fellow hamstring struggler, players tend to protect them which might explain why his form dipped for so long.
I think the 95k a week on offer from Newcastle may be the factor should he leave. If we can get over 10 mill back then it's a good deal for a player who won't play ever game

You bet it"s worth it. Rom plays 90 mins if every match he'll either get injured or burn himself out. Look at the way he finished the season at Albion where he had been used sparingly, and compare that to the last 3 with us. We need to be able to give the lad a break now and then, whether that be 20 mins when we're comfortable, or resting him for the odd game. Plus we need option to play 2 up top. And if Rom does get an injury., forget top 6. In fact we'd struggle to hold onto 7th.

That isn't me being negative. If I was being negative I"d be harping on about a lack of playmaker that we've needed since Arteta left. And letting Del go without replacing him.

Still a couple of days to go and RK, Walsh and Mosh (not forgetting our fave SSN presenter) have all said we're bringing more players in so I haven't completely given up hope yet. But the lack of solid rumours and whispers is very worrying.
We are not in Europe and we are out of all cup competitions, barring injury , it is not too much to ask him to play one game per week.

Ronald Koeman talks to Dutch media about holding back on Everton transfers
By Dipesh Agarwal -

28th January 2017

With the transfer window set to close on Tuesday, clubs in England are still trying to get a few players in, as they prepare for the second half of the season.

However, signing a new player can’t always be a solution to a problem, and Everton boss Ronald Koeman has been discussing it in his column for De Telegraaf.

He said: “As a coach, I see if a new signing can hinder the development of a new talent. We can go and sign again, but in six months a talent might just be ready.
“Then you want to give him perspective. I think it’s nice to see the young players from their own training centres in England knock on the door.

“I want to give them confidence. In England, they generally hesitate, and don’t play young players too early. But as a Dutchman, I just don’t hesitate to give them a chance.”

Koeman gives the example of the match against Manchester City, which Everton won 4-0, and finished the game with two very young players.

The Dutchman insists he could go out and sign players at Everton, but always has his eyes set on the youth academy to check if they can bring someone to the senior squad.

The former Ajax boss says he admires the attitude of young English footballers, and insists players like them can’t be found in Netherlands or any other European country.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-28-at-10.18.55-91x300.png
He added: “The Premier League has made many foreign purchases and sometimes that’s inevitable, but I get to see the appreciation of everything just by walking in the training ground.

“I admire the attitude, the mentality and behaviour of the young English footballers. They go like the fire, you don’t need to do anything to their motivation and I have to slow them down rather than push ahead. They possess a certain character that you don’t see in the Netherlands or in other countries. It’s a different culture.”

Koeman’s has backed up his comments by showing at Everton, and previously at Southampton, that he’s willing to give youth a chance.

People do realise that January is pretty much an emergency window right?

And that spending between 27.5 and 35 million pounds on a highly rated youngster and a proven top-6 Premier League standard midfielder is pretty much more than any other club in the league? As well as shifting some dead weight on loan.

Obviously, like any of you, I want some signings, but wind it in with the negativity, expect a busier summer, but maybe one more first team squad player to come in January, absolute maximum. Maybe a youth player or 2.

Personally, I think we look fine until summer.

In normal circumstances What you have said is correct, however Everton Don not require some emergency cover from this window, we need root and branch change. We also have to consider that this is the second window of our new era, so it is being realistic to look at the totality of our transfer activity over both windows and that falls short of what was expected. I personally am disappointed and can see why our transfer dealings, our lack of such, ha generated some negativity.
Finally, Koeman went into this window talking of 4/5 signings, we, as supporters, have taken our lead from the manager. We expected more. We can't keep making excuses and believing the next window is the one for us.
It looks like once again we have generated a hope for a much brighter future but have managed to settle for mediocrity.

By Dipesh Agarwal -

28th January 2017

With the transfer window set to close on Tuesday, clubs in England are still trying to get a few players in, as they prepare for the second half of the season.

However, signing a new player can’t always be a solution to a problem, and Everton boss Ronald Koeman has been discussing it in his column for De Telegraaf.

He said: “As a coach, I see if a new signing can hinder the development of a new talent. We can go and sign again, but in six months a talent might just be ready.
“Then you want to give him perspective. I think it’s nice to see the young players from their own training centres in England knock on the door.

“I want to give them confidence. In England, they generally hesitate, and don’t play young players too early. But as a Dutchman, I just don’t hesitate to give them a chance.”

Koeman gives the example of the match against Manchester City, which Everton won 4-0, and finished the game with two very young players.

The Dutchman insists he could go out and sign players at Everton, but always has his eyes set on the youth academy to check if they can bring someone to the senior squad.

The former Ajax boss says he admires the attitude of young English footballers, and insists players like them can’t be found in Netherlands or any other European country.

He added: “The Premier League has made many foreign purchases and sometimes that’s inevitable, but I get to see the appreciation of everything just by walking in the training ground.

“I admire the attitude, the mentality and behaviour of the young English footballers. They go like the fire, you don’t need to do anything to their motivation and I have to slow them down rather than push ahead. They possess a certain character that you don’t see in the Netherlands or in other countries. It’s a different culture.”

Koeman’s has backed up his comments by showing at Everton, and previously at Southampton, that he’s willing to give youth a chance.

Doesn't play the kids though

By Dipesh Agarwal -

28th January 2017

And so the window firmly slams shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back