Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an ideal world, I'd like to see a few more being brought in. A lot on here expect a very big and busy summer for Everton, me too. The more players we have to bed in the longer it will take for them to gel as a team. Anyone brought in now, will probably have gelled in by then though.

Having said that, I'm much more relaxed now than I was a month ago over our prospect for this season. Very satisfied with Schneiderlin, who I rate immensely. Also Lookman looks like a very shrewd acquisition and Davies and Robles making good progress in claiming first team spots.

BUT WAT ABOUT DA SIGNINGS LAD?!?!

Everton FOR RELEGATION.

Very sensible post, spot on.

Does anyone have a feeling like me.
We won't sign 1 more first team player because we have won a few games.
We need striker since summer.
If Lukaku is injured we can say goodbye to top 6/7.
Weird decision to sign Enner made even worse by us having months to get another striker and Belfodi deal now off.
Do we cancel deal now we win games?.
Not many teams would let there strike force go close to deadline.
We seen in summer Napoli wouldnot sell Gabbiadani to us apparently. Now he is off to saints and we keeping Kone.
Some decisions make me worried. Can anyone explain to not worry about no competition. Thanks.

Said few days ago. Still stand by we won't buy any first team player due to winning a few games.

Walsh is the only one for me but Davies has grabbed his opportunity there. At the same time RKs surprised me by giving an early opportunity to both DCL and Lookman.

Agree.. makes me concerned for Walsh seeing others getting a run ahead of him. Could come down purely to team areas of weakness.

If there is one area I wouldn't mind seeing a top player come through would be defence to take over from Mori.

I do think we may see some business done on deadline day. I certainly think we will be open to offers if they come in. Currently there isn't much "low hanging fruit" and we've taken 2 good improvements in which were relatively easy to do.

I had always said I wanted a big window and one with improvements. I don't think we have categorically given the Moshiri era a stamp of validity but we have got part way there. It has been a big improvement but it hasn't been the stamp of getting 4 or 5 in yet that we would have wanted. I think people's judgements will remain reserved until the summer where the true test will be, hopefully with European competition to help aid us in acquiring signings.

While people won't want to here context I do think we have to add some. We are currently playing very well. That shouldn't mean we decide the quad is fine as clearly it's not. However the likelihood is some players have probably come in and given Koeman some food for thought. The form of Davies, but also DCL and Holgate will have probably meant Koeman feels he has gained 3 players that he didn't think he'd have in September. The upturn in form for McCarthy will have helped as too will Valencia (who I think he resolved was no use and has proven to do ok). Lookman has also seemed to take him by surprise at his level. I think the squad has grown in quality and quantity without signings players but with younger lads stepping up.

The big omission is a centre forward. We are very reliant on Lukaku. No two ways about that. However we do have to ask, how many and what sort of strikers would come and be a bench player to Rom? It is difficult. There is quality there, there is Martial or alternatively Dolberg or Dembele who would probably by the 3 names everyone would like. We know 2 aren't really available in January but may well be in the summer and Martial we will probably have to wait until TDD to see if he could go. If we go and sign Shane Long this window, (who I like) it will probably mean bringing one of those lads is isn't necessary in the summer. Do we want a stopgap for 16 games in a season with little to play for, or the right player in the summer?

The club have tried to add younger players too. Isak looked a great profile to come in but it wasn't to be. maybe if we had Europe next year he would come? If he sees other young players continuing to flourish etc.

I suspect with Centre forward he may now look at it and say behind Lukaku, you have Mirallas doing ok in a central role, Valencia and then Calvert Lewin & Lookman who can play centrally. Why get Shane Long in to limit the gametime of DCL? I suspect Valencia will return and in the summer we will upgrade this position.

It's good we have moved lads on. This desperately needed to happen and continue more in the summer. I hope we can add another couple in. I'd love George Hirst and the centre back from City. Both of them and an unknown Steve Walsh gem would represent a strong window. It hasn't completely alleyed my fears, but I would imagine we will be top of the spend charts come the end of the window and will have added quality and moved some lads on. So going in the right direction, even if the pace isn't as fast as most of us would like.

Yeah that's a good point but:

Did Howard win anything? (genuine q)
Neville I thought was a winner and had a good effect on the team until he started saying we should be happy with top half or whatever he said.
Gibson was a crock
Same with Saha
Distin won the FA Cup I think?

My point, probably poorly executed, was 'Now we have substantial money, let's go out and supplement these talented youngsters with top quality winners. Neville, for all his good practices as a captain, wasn't very good technically. An able CB but not good enough at CM.

Can we not now have both? Quality players who have won leagues.

At the moment they are looking up to senior figures who, despite all the love for them, have won the square-root of nothing.
You are bang on with the youngsters need to aspire and apart from Barry that isn't here at present. But I just don't want to throw money around in January for the sake of it. I'll be fuming with you if we don't have a real go in the summer though!

people are relaxed now because we've done well this year, which is fair enough. But for me that's still a bit of a naive way to look at it, one injury or one loss then we're back to the same issues we had before the window.

The center half, yes i can live with not signing one of those, even though i think we really should be getting one in, even on loan.

But if we do not get adequate cover for Lukaku in this window then i think everton will have really messed up recruitment wise.

This is a fantastic chance to go and chase top 6, if we strengthened further, with only one game a week now we have the perfect chance to leapfrog united on the back of some good results, not signing the players to allow us to do that would be such a backward Moyes era thing to do.

That said i'm very pleased with the signings so far, but i just see this as a perfect opportunity.

It has nothing to do with us winning a few games and everything to do with Koeman finding out who wants to fight for a place.

I would like one or two more in but not just for the sake of it. Schneiderlin and Lookman were identified as targets and we got them. I'm not panicking because we aren't aimlessly going after players. So it seems to me like there is a definitive plan.

people are relaxed now because we've done well this year, which is fair enough. But for me that's still a bit of a naive way to look at it, one injury or one loss then we're back to the same issues we had before the window.

The center half, yes i can live with not signing one of those, even though i think we really should be getting one in, even on loan.

But if we do not get adequate cover for Lukaku in this window then i think everton will have really messed up recruitment wise.

This is a fantastic chance to go and chase top 6, if we strengthened further, with only one game a week now we have the perfect chance to leapfrog united on the back of some good results, not signing the players to allow us to do that would be such a backward Moyes era thing to do.

That said i'm very pleased with the signings so far, but i just see this as a perfect opportunity.
Do you not think koeman maybe thinks mirralas/lookman could fill in for lukaku if needed? Ok not as physically strong but still

I do think we may see some business done on deadline day. I certainly think we will be open to offers if they come in. Currently there isn't much "low hanging fruit" and we've taken 2 good improvements in which were relatively easy to do.

I had always said I wanted a big window and one with improvements. I don't think we have categorically given the Moshiri era a stamp of validity but we have got part way there. It has been a big improvement but it hasn't been the stamp of getting 4 or 5 in yet that we would have wanted. I think people's judgements will remain reserved until the summer where the true test will be, hopefully with European competition to help aid us in acquiring signings.

While people won't want to here context I do think we have to add some. We are currently playing very well. That shouldn't mean we decide the quad is fine as clearly it's not. However the likelihood is some players have probably come in and given Koeman some food for thought. The form of Davies, but also DCL and Holgate will have probably meant Koeman feels he has gained 3 players that he didn't think he'd have in September. The upturn in form for McCarthy will have helped as too will Valencia (who I think he resolved was no use and has proven to do ok). Lookman has also seemed to take him by surprise at his level. I think the squad has grown in quality and quantity without signings players but with younger lads stepping up.

The big omission is a centre forward. We are very reliant on Lukaku. No two ways about that. However we do have to ask, how many and what sort of strikers would come and be a bench player to Rom? It is difficult. There is quality there, there is Martial or alternatively Dolberg or Dembele who would probably by the 3 names everyone would like. We know 2 aren't really available in January but may well be in the summer and Martial we will probably have to wait until TDD to see if he could go. If we go and sign Shane Long this window, (who I like) it will probably mean bringing one of those lads is isn't necessary in the summer. Do we want a stopgap for 16 games in a season with little to play for, or the right player in the summer?

The club have tried to add younger players too. Isak looked a great profile to come in but it wasn't to be. maybe if we had Europe next year he would come? If he sees other young players continuing to flourish etc.

I suspect with Centre forward he may now look at it and say behind Lukaku, you have Mirallas doing ok in a central role, Valencia and then Calvert Lewin & Lookman who can play centrally. Why get Shane Long in to limit the gametime of DCL? I suspect Valencia will return and in the summer we will upgrade this position.

It's good we have moved lads on. This desperately needed to happen and continue more in the summer. I hope we can add another couple in. I'd love George Hirst and the centre back from City. Both of them and an unknown Steve Walsh gem would represent a strong window. It hasn't completely alleyed my fears, but I would imagine we will be top of the spend charts come the end of the window and will have added quality and moved some lads on. So going in the right direction, even if the pace isn't as fast as most of us would like.

Top of the spend charts is irreverent as we have let multiple players go on loan with option to buy

Valencia is useless we have had months to scout a striker and an extensive search apparently resulted in Belfodi (Deal fell in due to financial problems surprise surprise)

Nobody is expecting Demeble or Martial etc. It is not unreasonable to want one more first team player but by the managers quotes in press and the silence from the club we can rule out anymore singing's.

It's a good post mate, but what would you call adequate cover? I think in January we will struggle to get a good enough player. 2 options we have, either take a caste off (someone like Martial, or Iheanacho/Rashford) or buy in a potentially good striker. We tried that with Isak and didn't work.

We only have 16 games left now. If we can't get the right player why not wait until the summer, when we may be able to add a Dolberg, or a Martial?

Do you not think koeman maybe thinks mirralas/lookman could fill in for lukaku if needed? Ok not as physically strong but still
no i don't, and he couldn't it'd be unfair to ask the lad to do so.

Lukaku is a proper striker, we use him as a bit of a target man, lookman doesn't have anywhere near the physical aspects so he couldn't spearhead your attack even if he wanted to, i think Koeman see's him as someone who can play up top WITH lukaku but not someone who can do what lukaku does.

It has nothing to do with us winning a few games and everything to do with Koeman finding out who wants to fight for a place.

I would like one or two more in but not just for the sake of it. Schneiderlin and Lookman were identified as targets and we got them. I'm not panicking because we aren't aimlessly going after players. So it seems to me like there is a definitive plan.

We also identified Valencia Steklen and Bolasie, so you have contradicted yourself as non of them players offer 'quality over quality' manager asked for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back