Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree it's not about big names or statement signings.

It's about coming as close as we can to filling each gap in the squad with the best available player we can bring though or sign, and having the best group of 23 players that we can have given our budget and other constraints.

We have great talent coming though it appears, and that is wonderful, but I think it's naive to suggest we are only a signing or two away from making a UCL challenge. This squad still needs major surgery, not a few minor adjustments.

I want us to be in a position next August where we could feel we might at least be able to have a crack at it. If we get to that stage and it seems like another remote impossibility, then that will be 2/3 of Koemans contract gone.

And by the way saying I think our transfer business over two windows is disappointing or not good enough doesn't mean I believe Mosh/Ron think it's good enough or haven't tried to do better. It's just my rating of the signings made.

I would say you're probably underestimating how difficult it is currently for a club like ours to attract quality players.

I'm not estimating it at all.

I think it's a leap to try to say we couldn't get a decent addition to our first team attacking options because we've been crap. You could go find plenty of transfers to negate that idea.

I'm not estimating it at all.

I think it's a leap to try to say we couldn't get a decent addition to our first team attacking options because we've been crap. You could go find plenty of transfers to negate that idea.

What in saying is you can't just go out in the January transfer window and start signing quality players without much to lure them with.

Just looking at Leverkusen vs Borrusia MG and Tah is still at Leverkusen. Could do a lot worse than have a look at him, his CB partner toprak seems to be quite strong.

Other players on show like Hernandez, Hackman C, Brandt, Raffael, hazard, Leno, although I see no Hermann.

These are the teams and players we need to scout, Munich already picked up rudy and sule.

No way we'd have let Del go and pass on Depay without bringing in a winger. Expect a big name winger signing on deadline day.

People who want signing's are being patronised here by some people, not going to state names because I do not wish to argue.

But to merely want a proper striker to back up rom isn't unreasonable and doesn't warrant a reply to words in the effect of 'auhhh some people won't be happy if we don't sign Messi and Neymar'

Just looking at Leverkusen vs Borrusia MG and Tah is still at Leverkusen. Could do a lot worse than have a look at him, his CB partner toprak seems to be quite strong.

Other players on show like Hernandez, Hackman C, Brandt, Raffael, hazard, Leno, although I see no Hermann.

These are the teams and players we need to scout, Munich already picked up rudy and sule.

Both great CB's both out of our league, possibly out the league of a club like Spurs. We need to bridge a gap first before targeting players like this, we seen in the summer how hard it was to get a 'marquee' build a project up and they will come in time.

Meanwhile a statement of signing Valencia put us back another 6 months, Morgan and Lookman is a good step forward but small steps :)

What in saying is you can't just go out in the January transfer window and start signing quality players without much to lure them with.

You are being way too general.

Quality players covers a fair spectrum from top of the line to just players who would improve on most of our attacking options.

We have money. That's a decent lure. One that works on many a club and player.

It's a leap to intimate we cannot get any improvement to our attack because they will all ignore we are relatively rich, in the Prem League and are in a decent position right now in that league. They would ignore all that and decide...No, they were crap for two seasons and aren't in Europe.

People who want signing's are being patronised here by some people, not going to state names because I do not wish to argue.

But to merely want a proper striker to back up rom isn't unreasonable and doesn't warrant a reply to words in the effect of 'auhhh some people won't be happy if we don't sign Messi and Neymar'

We have been extremely fortunate that he hasnt had a period out with injuries, cos you are right. We have several players who can support him, but I struggle to think of one who could actually replace him in the side for a sustained period.

Lets see I guess.

Both great CB's both out of our league, possibly out the league of a club like Spurs. We need to bridge a gap first before targeting players like this, we seen in the summer how hard it was to get a 'marquee' build a project up and they will come in time.

Meanwhile a statement of signing Valencia put us back another 6 months, Morgan and Lookman is a good step forward but small steps :)

I actually think that to reach were we want, we need to lose this second best mentality, although I agree that we won't always get our targets. It's the reason Spurs challenge for top 4, they target Modric, VDV, loris, even alder weirded appeared impossible at first.

Those type of posts would be classed as WUM if a narky orange posted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back