Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a certain inevitability I think to how Moshiri's first two windows have panned out.

No need to regurgitate the details but the summer is the acid test for me.

We still need numbers and a run of decent results in the context of our season being finished competitively barely makes a difference to me.

Moshiri did speak of a bid for Koulibaly in the summer to Jim White and Esk has said on Twitter that our interest in VVD is genuine.

That implies at least that we have the resources to spend £50m or more on a single player. I assume they have planned to an extent that such an outlay if it was possible would not constitute an entire windows budget, so by that yardstick there is money available.

It's one thing being broke and quite another not being able to spend when we have money. The net spend to date should be comfortably accommodated by TV revenue.

Need to spend and see clear intent in the summer. No stories about attracting players,prices, the time of year etc. Just get it done. Deliver.

There was a certain inevitability I think to how Moshiri's first two windows have panned out.

No need to regurgitate the details but the summer is the acid test for me.

We still need numbers and a run of decent results in the context of our season being finished competitively barely makes a difference to me.

Moshiri did speak of a bid for Koulibaly in the summer to Jim White and Esk has said on Twitter that our interest in VVD is genuine.

That implies at least that we have the resources to spend £50m or more on a single player. I assume they have planned to an extent that such an outlay if it was possible would not constitute an entire windows budget, so by that yardstick there is money available.

It's one thing being broke and quite another not being able to spend when we have money. The net spend to date should be comfortably accommodated by TV revenue.

Need to spend and see clear intent in the summer. No stories about attracting players,prices, the time of year etc. Just get it done. Deliver.

Financial FairPlay will be the summer get out of jail card.

Mata would still walk into our team who regularly plays Lennon.

Why wouldn't you want a striker when we start Mirallas up front and have to bring Valencia on as a match winner, talk about accepting mediocrity

Think I said why.. but yeah it would tempting to pull in a real world class talent, just don't see one available in January. We are too far behind top 4 so use this time to work on our team and give more kids a real go and see what we have before the summer.

No one here from what I can see doesn't think Walsh shouldn't be given a chance.. so there needs to be gaps for that to happen.

All guess work but you would presume since the summer Koeman and Walsh have been mulling over targets, Arguing the toss and finally after 4 months of talks have a list of players they agree to go for

Now, The players on that list unless playing for a mid table team like Stoke/WBA who can't get into Europe or get relegated will be involved in Relegation/European/Cup battle, This includes players abroad

Its going to be very hard to get them from those sides unless they are fringe players like Morgs (In his case frozen out) in this window

The fact that with 3 days to go we have spent the most money and have the top signing (spend) shows what little to no movement there is in this window

It's generally teams around the bottom panic buying in a last ditch attempt to stay up, Or Liverpool blowing the 50m they got for Torres on Carrol

Think I said why.. but yeah it would tempting to pull in a real world class talent, just don't see one available in January. We are too far behind top 4 so use this time to work on our team and give more kids a real go and see what we have before the summer.

No one here from what I can see doesn't think Walsh shouldn't be given a chance.. so there needs to be gaps for that to happen.

Name me a world class talent Liverpool or Spurs have signed in the last 5 years, And I'm on about proven world class talent when they signed them

Koeman alluded to that in an interview today.

No point going out and getting any old crap if it's not who we really want.

Which is fine Ijjy but we don't know for a fact that's the case. We might well look back from the end of their 3rd transfer window and think well done overall but if we stop at the business we have done so far then the choices made in signings and the business done in general is open to fair and reasoned criticism.

All guess work but you would presume since the summer Koeman and Walsh have been mulling over targets, Arguing the toss and finally after 4 months of talks have a list of players they agree to go for

Now, The players on that list unless playing for a mid table team like Stoke/WBA who can't get into Europe or get relegated will be involved in Relegation/European/Cup battle, This includes players abroad

Its going to be very hard to get them from those sides unless they are fringe players like Morgs (In his case frozen out) in this window

The fact that with 3 days to go we have spent the most money and have the top signing (spend) shows what little to no movement there is in this window

It's generally teams around the bottom panic buying in a last ditch attempt to stay up, Or Liverpool blowing the 50m they got for Torres on Carrol

I don't see any bids being made though, most clubs say their players are unavailable, doesn't stop those with money bidding.

Financial FairPlay will be the summer get out of jail card.

You are probably right. FFP serves the interests of the elite clubs only, so far ahead as they are of the rest of the pack.
It would need a club in our position to challenge its legality, or alternatively, just carry on regardless but that will not happen. If we or another club outside the current cartel really have serious cash to throw about, I don't think the likes of Moshiri would be all that bothered about the consequences of sidestepping FFP. It's like paying tax, there are ways to avoid it.

Name me a world class talent Liverpool or Spurs have signed in the last 5 years, And I'm on about proven world class talent when they signed them

Quite.

Folk lobbing "World Class" around should just actually be concerned with getting players who actually improve the team/squad. By and large, Koeman/Walsh have done that. Be it from the youth already here, gems like Gana, or bigger fee players. Its a blend. Not a Supermarket Sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back