Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we had a team based on current players, for me it would be:
Formation 3-5-2
GK: Stekelenberg
RCB: Coleman
CB: Williams
LCB: Funes Mori
RCM: Gueye
LCM: Davies
RM: Deulofeu
LM: Bolasie
CAM: Mirallas
RS: Niasse
LS: Lukaku

But if we were to get some players in, for me the team should then be:
Formation 3-5-2
GK: Butland
CB: Koulibaly
LCB: Van Dijk
LCM: Witsel
RS: Hernandez/Iheanacho

Find it mad that fans are outraged (and quite rightly dismissive) when there's any talk of our better players leaving in January, but then expect that other clubs are going to be different and we should be able to buy their best players...

Then again we did almost blow the only time we ever finished 4th by doing exactly that and selling one of our best players in a January mate - yeah contract was running down but we only got a pittance for him.

Basically IF you are a selling club and most teams are and unless you are actually in a position to win something that season or in a relegation scrap then any of your players are buyable. It just means the buying club will have to pay a hell of a lot more as the power is with the selling club in that instance.

Not going to happen - but say we got offered 70m for Lukaku in January - he would be sold - 100% certainty on that, someone offered us 30m for coleman then bang he'd be gone too mate. IF a club offers Saints say 50m for VVD then he will be sold - January or not. they will not be in any danger of a relagtion battle this seaosn with or withut him, similarly they have no chance of CL qualification with or without him, and the worst that will happen is that they may finish 8th/9th instead of 6th for example, but they may do that with or without him anyway.

The January thing is part fueld by every two years players themselves don't usually want to move if they are settled as it will possibly screw them over in terms of form before a world cup/euro championships

Do i think we will sign him - nope, do i think theres a very good chance that he will leave in January, then yes. Chelsea, City, United and 'possibly' Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal will all look to strengthen this January as the race for the title and top 4 is between 4 teams and the CL places between 6 and none of them will want/can afford to miss out on CL qualification.

Formation 3-5-2

Formation 3-5-2

Think the likelihood of us spending about 150m on a keeper and 2 cb's is a little unlikely there though mate

Formation 3-5-2

Formation 3-5-2

Hahahahahahahahaha

Then again we did almost blow the only time we ever finished 4th by doing exactly that and selling one of our best players in a January mate - yeah contract was running down but we only got a pittance for him.

Basically IF you are a selling club and most teams are and unless you are actually in a position to win something that season or in a relegation scrap then any of your players are buyable. It just means the buying club will have to pay a hell of a lot more as the power is with the selling club in that instance.

Not going to happen - but say we got offered 70m for Lukaku in January - he would be sold - 100% certainty on that, someone offered us 30m for coleman then bang he'd be gone too mate. IF a club offers Saints say 50m for VVD then he will be sold - January or not. they will not be in any danger of a relagtion battle this seaosn with or withut him, similarly they have no chance of CL qualification with or without him, and the worst that will happen is that they may finish 8th/9th instead of 6th for example, but they may do that with or without him anyway.

The January thing is part fueld by every two years players themselves don't usually want to move if they are settled as it will possibly screw them over in terms of form before a world cup/euro championships

Do i think we will sign him - nope, do i think theres a very good chance that he will leave in January, then yes. Chelsea, City, United and 'possibly' Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal will all look to strengthen this January as the race for the title and top 4 is between 4 teams and the CL places between 6 and none of them will want/can afford to miss out on CL qualification.

It was Real Madrid buying though Stevon.

Obviously big moves do happen, and we should be making some serious 'waves'.

Like you say at the end, it's the big (big) clubs that can make the moves like that.

Our only hope of getting anyone decent is if Steve Walsh is as good as we think he is in spotting talent in lower leagues OR massively outbidding clubs for players and offering them extortionate wages (if the money is actually there). Right now I assume from the outside looking in we are not an attractive proposition for ambitious players, We really have got our work cut out to get were we want to be. It used to be the top 4 who were strong now its the top 6 are very strong... January and next summer are critical for the long term future of the club.

Formation 3-5-2

Formation 3-5-2
You mr 1st team would get relagated. Bolasie and geri as wing backs, Coleman as a right sided centre back. Wow

Formation 3-5-2

Formation 3-5-2

All opinions mate but with an open cheque book could you have fantasised about someone better than Kev?!

Comfortably one of the worst players in our team.

Him and Bryan.

Formation 3-5-2

Formation 3-5-2

thats alright but i was thinking more along the lines of

Formation 3-5-2
GK: Lloris
RCB: Stones
CB: Koeman
LCB: Terry
LCM: Lee Carsley
RM: Ronaldo
LM: Bale
CAM: Osman
RS: Pele

I reckon its about the same odds as us having your team next season

We need to sign leaders to many powder puff players of undoubted technical ability but not prepared to battle to turn the tide in a game, if we go behind we are snookered.

Gandalf or someone would be good.

There are tons of class players that we could afford, but why would they come here? A massive overhaul is needed thats for sure but theres only a handful of our youth players that could actually do an ok job. Gotta make sure we buy quality and not just throw money away.

Isco, Schneiderlin, Fernandinho, Moussa Dembele, Rooney (Say what you like, id take him back) Van Dijk, Depay, Willian (gone off the radar for a bit probably will be affordable) - These are 8 strong expensive but affordable/some loanable players for us and would easily take the places of most of our current first 11

*and i dont mean buy all these obviously*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back