Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we had a team based on current players, for me it would be:
Formation 3-5-2
GK: Stekelenberg
RCB: Coleman
CB: Williams
LCB: Funes Mori
RCM: Gueye
LCM: Davies
RM: Deulofeu
LM: Bolasie
CAM: Mirallas
RS: Niasse
LS: Lukaku

But if we were to get some players in, for me the team should then be:
Formation 3-5-2
GK: Butland
RCB: Coleman
CB: Koulibaly
LCB: Van Dijk
RCM: Gueye
LCM: Witsel
RM: Deulofeu
LM: Bolasie
CAM: Mirallas
RS: Hernandez/Iheanacho
LS: Lukaku

Back to FM with you pal :)

Our only hope of getting anyone decent is if Steve Walsh is as good as we think he is in spotting talent in lower leagues OR massively outbidding clubs for players and offering them extortionate wages (if the money is actually there). Right now I assume from the outside looking in we are not an attractive proposition for ambitious players, We really have got our work cut out to get were we want to be. It used to be the top 4 who were strong now its the top 6 are very strong... January and next summer are critical for the long term future of the club.

The big IF with us - is how much do we have and how much are we willing to pay - fees and wages.

IF the money is substantial then we will have to vastly overpay for any genuine known quality players, or get incredibly lucky, take calculated gambles on talented players whose big moves have failed, take calculated gambles on players from much weaker leagues before they attract the attention of the major currently established 'elite' clubs or find players who for whatever reason have been overlooked and are plying there trade at a level below us.

The likes of Schneiderlin, VVD etc fall into the overpaying catagory - a LOT of other clubs, and ones more attractive to us will also be after them if they are available, basically the only chance of getting them is to pay considerably more than the market price and the other clubs are willing to pay. Otherwise we won't get any major target, IF we have that kind of financial clout is a major doubt though obviously.

Players like Bellotti - yeah only just broke on the scene but a fools errand trying to target him as he's lit up a major league now and is on everyones radar, the lad at Ajax on the other hand is in a much weaker league and much younger and not as proven, acting early 'could' see someone like that be a possibility, but ssay waiting til summer or later would likely see him fall in the catogory of Milik who attracted a CL teams interest in a major league.

The only way forward is by being absolutely brilliant at finding gems gone under the radar and players whove busted out on there big move rediscovering form and hitting potential (which is a massive long shot as every club is tryin the exact same thing bar a few at the top) Or by taking a massive hit on what you pay in order to improve the quality of the team, the risk with that though is if the money is wasted or if the financial backing is limited and the plug is pulled then you can end up doing a Leeds or Villa

It was Real Madrid buying though Stevon.

Obviously big moves do happen, and we should be making some serious 'waves'.

Like you say at the end, it's the big (big) clubs that can make the moves like that.

It's down to money like most things in footy end of the day mate, besides maybe 6-7 clubs in the world most players major concern is who pays the most and how it effects their commercial deals

Main thing for me would be to get rid of the deadwood where possible. Gibson, Niasse, McGeady (all for their wages really).
No point getting rid of Mirallas, Jagielka, baines etc just to put those above on the bench instead.
After the last few games, I wouldn't be as arsed about losing half the team like I would of been 6 months ago.

It's down to money like most things in footy end of the day mate, besides maybe 6-7 clubs in the world most players major concern is who pays the most and how it effects their commercial deals

True.

But in VVD's case he's pretty-much guaranteed a move to a CL club come the summer mate.

Barring a miraculous turn-around in our form, why would he decide to move to us in January - a team that is likely to be around the same position as his current club - and risk scuppering that bigger move.

I know you said you don't think this move will happen either, I'm just using this as an example.

Bar Valencia (who in fairness hasn't really even played enough to judge) Koeman's four signings so far have been our best performers.

I too, am not exactly sold on Depay, but if the manager wants him I'd fully back his judgement.

Good point that, maybe he has his own way of doing things and those already at the club havent bought into it, lets be honest the majority of them I would be happy to see shipped out anyway.

Good point that, maybe he has his own way of doing things and those already at the club havent bought into it, lets be honest the majority of them I would be happy to see shipped out anyway.

I'm not sure if it's 'not buying in' as much as it is 'not being able to adapt'.

Martinez built a squad that fit his style. We're now departing that style and, while Koeman has and is making a few mistakes, it seems clear to me that this squad of players (on the whole) are capable of playing one way or one way only.

Factor into that the age of the squad as well, and a big shift is needed over the next two windows.

I'm not sure if it's 'not buying in' as much as it is 'not being able to adapt'.

Martinez built a squad that fit his style. We're now departing that style and, while Koeman has and is making a few mistakes, it seems clear to me that this squad of players (on the whole) are capable of playing one way or one way only.

Factor into that the age of the squad as well, and a big shift is needed over the next two windows.

This is a MASSIVE issue for me. Why do players have to play in a certain way or a philosophy of persons A,B,C ? Why cant we just build a team of 11 men to fight for the shirt ? By time we spend £150m on players to play the Koeman way, we will lost Koeman (probably sacked at this rate) and brought in another manager who wants £150m to correct the way of koemans business, then the cycle goes on and on and on.

For example we should be looking for a strong core and players to feed Lukaku and Barkley. None of this buying a centre half because he can pass a ball to the centre midfielder then to his cb partner, then back to the goalkeeper crap. Buy a defender to defend and a striker to score.

Honestly, its just a simple game made complicated by ego maniacs and philosophies.

This is a MASSIVE issue for me. Why do players have to play in a certain way or a philosophy of persons A,B,C ? Why cant we just build a team of 11 men to fight for the shirt ? By time we spend £150m on players to play the Koeman way, we will lost Koeman (probably sacked at this rate) and brought in another manager who wants £150m to correct the way of koemans business, then the cycle goes on and on and on.

For example we should be looking for a strong core and players to feed Lukaku and Barkley. None of this buying a centre half because he can pass a ball to the centre midfielder then to his cb partner, then back to the goalkeeper crap. Buy a defender to defend and a striker to score.

Honestly, its just a simple game made complicated by ego maniacs and philosophies.

Well in fairness Koeman hasn't said anything about a philosophy or anything like that - he isn't possession-based and he isn't solely about pace etc.

He just wants the team to press and press well. That's simple, it shouldn't be hard, but the players we have at the moment are incapable of doing so.

So I think, in principle, you are right. But as I said it's nothing too complicated that Koeman is asking - just look at S'ton's display in the first-half on Sunday to see what he is after...

Well in fairness Koeman hasn't said anything about a philosophy or anything like that - he isn't possession-based and he isn't solely about pace etc.

He just wants the team to press and press well. That's simple, it shouldn't be hard, but the players we have at the moment are incapable of doing so.

So I think, in principle, you are right. But as I said it's nothing too complicated that Koeman is asking - just look at S'ton's display in the first-half on Sunday to see what he is after...

They did it first game of the season fantastically against Spurs for 70 minutes, where has that team gone?

The fact he emphasises so much on 'ze preshing game' or usually its the same soundbites like 've didn't do ze preshing game so well, but okay' tells me he has only one way of playing, just like brown shoes does, just like pep Guardiola does.

Im looking for a manager who can change his style/philosophy to suit the game. I do take your point into consideration though because he hasn't come out and said here is my plan......

Still waiting to see what changes he brings as so far I don't see too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back