Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely someone like Berahino would have been a good addition, even Rondon. Kone as our Backup, the thought takes you back to that same sick feeling of about six years old and your feet slip off the pedals of your bmx and you crash down onto the frame.

Berahinho isn't good enough, and Rondon would cost > £25M, if the worst happens and Rom gets injured we can play Mirallas, or even DCL once he's back from injury, it's not like it would cost us a European place anyway.

Look at the state of Sunderland buying everything that moves (and Gibson), at least it looks like Ron has a long term plan this time.

What do you mean 'or maybe'? That doesn't make any sense. Either the squad was good enough before and people were wrong then, or the squad still isn't good enough and they're wrong now. Your hypothesis doesn't change that in the slightest.
WTF are you on about, we played a system with the players we have/had and didn't do very well. We then changed the system and it suits the players that we have and things significantly improved, squad went from looking terrible to looking pretty good. Simple enough?

Personally I'm not desperate for us to sign anybody today, and I also don't really think we will. I think you're right that we don't have a huge amount to play for, so it doesn't seem like we need to get people in.

Where I disagree though, is I think the idea of 'just waiting for the summer' is equally as pointless as signing someone now. There are clearly positions which we need to address - from the manager's point of view as well as the fans - and if we haven't managed to address them in 2 transfer windows, why should be so confident that we will be able to do so in a 3rd? Is a player going to miraculously appear in the summer that we were previously unaware of? Or is it actually just as likely that we end up signing somebody in the same circumstances in the summer?

Agree mate.

But the point is that the players we want (e.g. Keane) are much more likely to be available in the summer rather than now.

Think of it from the selling club's P.O.V

What need do they have to sell in the middle of the season?

None.

And that's because players who could improve us are either 'cast offs' - like Schneiderlin, or the best players from teams who aren't as good as us (e.g. Keane) but those clubs aren't going to sell their best players in the middle of the season.

So it's not acting like 'leave it until summer for the sake of it'. It's just that there's no point buying a player who 'may' improve us now but then we miss out on our primary target in six months time...

Niasse wasn't in the squad and not playing for the first team when people were fuming when we were going through that winless run mate, the only player he's binned off who needed going was Cleverley.

Dunno mate. I can't argue really with any player he has got rid of so far even if he doesn't replace them with signings. The squad for me wouldn't be weaker in tangible terms if both McCarthy and Kone left and weren't replaced today either. Jagielka probably can't go.

Surely someone like Berahino would have been a good addition, even Rondon. Kone as our Backup, the thought takes you back to that same sick feeling of about six years old and your feet slip off the pedals of your bmx and you crash down onto the frame.

Rondon is a guaranteed starter at the team currently one place below us.

Berahino wasn't happy with being back-up at WBA or shunted out wide etc, and didn't exactly do himself any favours.

Or there's no point spending £13m on a Jeffrey Schlupp when we have someone just as good for free in the academy on nothing wages? Just a thought.
i would argue we have no-one as good as premier league professionals in our academy. Every single player we have there is raw talent leagues away from a prime premier league player. If one of those gets promoted and does well and learns his trade in the first team then it beenfits us, but these kids in the academy are still only just learning the game. Relying on them to be the B team whenever the A team get injured is not really going to work over the long run unless they were all at the level davies for example is. The chances of that being true are quite small, so i would question the approach. I would love to see a team made up of academy players winning every week like any other fan would, but realistically you cannot depend on them to fill in all the time.

Take him on loan with a permanent fee of 25m negotiated. Give them first option on Lukaku for 80m.
Nope. The way transfer fees are rising we can wait 2 years and we'll get 100+ mil for him

Mind you Chelsea probs have a sell on % clause so they'll be able to buy him for cheaper than everyone else

i would argue we have no-one as good as premier league professionals in our academy. Every single player we have there is raw talent leagues away from a prime premier league player. If one of those gets promoted and does well and learns his trade in the first team then it beenfits us, but these kids in the academy are still only just learning the game. Relying on them to be the B team whenever the A team get injured is not really going to work over the long run unless they were all at the level davies for example is. The chances of that being true are quite small, so i would question the approach. I would love to see a team made up of academy players winning every week like any other fan would, but realistically you cannot depend on them to fill in all the time.

No but to fill slots the likes of Oviedo and Niasse are leaving behind I'm fully accepting of.

Possibly but what do you say to berahino in negotiations?

"Hi Saido, i know you have been on the bench for 18 months, but Romelu is our number one striker, he will play every minute possible! We dont have any cup games or europe so there is no need to rotate, but you can come on for 10 minutes at the end if we need or goal, or if you are lucky we may play you if Rom gets a injury. I know you can get first team at stoke but come here and sit on the bench"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back