Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course by the time the summer comes round the club may have made a formal announcement regarding BMD.

I can't think of any club that have been profligate in the transfer market in the years preceding a stadium build.

That financial prudence and money-saving may have already started.

Would be interesting in that context to see if McCarthy was sold today.

I think if that was the case, Moshiri and Co. would gamble that most fans would settle for definate progress on the stadium, and accept constraints in spending. It's not like we are new to that. We obviously need more players, and they will spend in the summer, but we have no guarantee that it will be on the scale some are expecting.

This

I'm happy with what Rk unsworth and co are doing they are rebuilding for the future and it may take a couple of seasons to challenge top 4 but it's similar model to all successful clubs who have a core of home grown talent with other quality signings around them and early indications are very positive

But, who is the striker we need ? is he available ? or, does the manager sign anybody because it will keep the fans happy.

We now know he wants a centre half , we now know who he wants after the press conference yesterday, we also know that the player is amost definitely unavailable in this window, should he then go and sign somebody else ?

We have sixteen games left in this season, we have a marginal chance of a top six finish, no cup games.
We have enough players to get through this season and try to sign the players we want in the summer.
Personally I'm not desperate for us to sign anybody today, and I also don't really think we will. I think you're right that we don't have a huge amount to play for, so it doesn't seem like we need to get people in.

Where I disagree though, is I think the idea of 'just waiting for the summer' is equally as pointless as signing someone now. There are clearly positions which we need to address - from the manager's point of view as well as the fans - and if we haven't managed to address them in 2 transfer windows, why should be so confident that we will be able to do so in a 3rd? Is a player going to miraculously appear in the summer that we were previously unaware of? Or is it actually just as likely that we end up signing somebody in the same circumstances in the summer?

A mere suggestion here.

What sorts of clubs normally play their youth players rather than spend money on other players? Normally it is clubs who haven't got anything to spend, so although i do not think we are purposely not spending money it does appear the 180 turn to play the reserves mainly in these situations such as cover does suggest to a small degree that the issue may not be failing transfers (or perhaps so) but we haven't really got as much transfer money as we think and only spending out on key players.
Or ones with a bunch of very good youth players coming through who they feel are ready to be introduced

Ask chelsea if that is the case?
I don't understand what you're getting at sorry? Do you mean because Chelsea had a massive turnaround this season from last? If so, that just backs up what I'm saying. Anyone who said Chelsea's squad lacked quality last season was wrong, plain and simple. The fact they were lower in the table doesn't change the fact that the players were good players. The point I was making is that people were saying our players were no good and had poor attitudes, not that we needed to change formation. If all we needed to do was change formation then those people were badly wrong.

Surely someone like Berahino would have been a good addition, even Rondon. Kone as our Backup, the thought takes you back to that same sick feeling of about six years old and your feet slip off the pedals of your bmx and you crash down onto the frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back