Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for player trading.....selling 3 deadwood to bring 1nquality signing in. But we've done no where near enough. To me it looks like we've settles for 7th already. We're only 5 point off UTD with 16 games to go....we shod have really gone for it. We should have backed the manager and had a go for top 4....why not. Except for Chelsea all teams above are faltering.

But once again, win a few games and everybody's happy. Honestly evertonians are the easiest set of fans to please on the planet.

Saying that, I'm really happy with the players we've got rid of. Hopfully a few more over the next 1w months. But we have to strengthen to

So if Lukaku picks up an injury?

As I said the other day last 10 goals in the league have come from Last 10 goals in the league have come from.. Coleman, Lookman, Davies, Mirallas, Lukaku, Lukaku, Baines, Valencia, Barkley, OG..

We have a wide range of players who can get goals, not just Lukaku. Plus Lookman, DCL to come back and Dowell could be given a chance. It's not like we are in a relegation scrap or battle for 4th.

Is it worth a 20 mil panic buy to cement 7th when we could just wait to the summer and have a lot more options?

Also, even if you do think we could get top 6 or higher, who could we realistically sign now who is going to even attempt to fill Lukakus boots if he gets injured and keep a push for top 6 going?

As a few people have interpreted Koeman as saying if the right player becomes available then I'm all for it, if not we don't NEED to take a risk on someone now.

A mere suggestion here.

What sorts of clubs normally play their youth players rather than spend money on other players? Normally it is clubs who haven't got anything to spend, so although i do not think we are purposely not spending money it does appear the 180 turn to play the reserves mainly in these situations such as cover does suggest to a small degree that the issue may not be failing transfers (or perhaps so) but we haven't really got as much transfer money as we think and only spending out on key players.

As I said the other day last 10 goals in the league have come from Last 10 goals in the league have come from.. Coleman, Lookman, Davies, Mirallas, Lukaku, Lukaku, Baines, Valencia, Barkley, OG..

We have a wide range of players who can get goals, not just Lukaku. Plus Lookman, DCL to come back and Dowell could be given a chance. It's not like we are in a relegation scrap or battle for 4th.

Is it worth a 20 mil panic buy to cement 7th when we could just wait to the summer and have a lot more options?

Also, even if you do think we could get top 6 or higher, who could we realistically sign now who is going to even attempt to fill Lukakus boots if he gets injured and keep a push for top 6 going?

As a few people have interpreted Koeman as saying if the right player becomes available then I'm all for it, if not we don't NEED to take a risk on someone now.
to suggest a point, cementing 7th and essentially european football is important for us this season to progress forward so it would be money well spent if it allowed us to attract a better level of player in the summer.

A mere suggestion here.

What sorts of clubs normally play their youth players rather than spend money on other players? Normally it is clubs who haven't got anything to spend, so although i do not think we are purposely not spending money it does appear the 180 turn to play the reserves mainly in these situations such as cover does suggest to a small degree that the issue may not be failing transfers (or perhaps so) but we haven't really got as much transfer money as we think and only spending out on key players.

Or there's no point spending £13m on a Jeffrey Schlupp when we have someone just as good for free in the academy on nothing wages? Just a thought.

Agree here mate.

That being said, we've kind of done that bit in bold this window haven't we...

Got the main deals done early, leaving us to just get that 'cherry' on top today, which is definitely needed but not 'vital' at this stage it would seem.

Main areas of need where Centre Mid (due to Ganas abscence as much as anything), A creative wider player, a player who could be relied upon to be a very strong backup to lukaku or to play alongside him and a centre back (not counting covering spots like lb etc)

we got one of those positions mate, all Lookman is so far is someone who looks exciting initially - and we have seen a lot of those fail to deliver over a run of games (one is now playing in Italy due to it)

At best we have signed a staryign centre mid and a impact sub, still needed a lot lot more than that going into january, and a good set of results shouldnt have changed that need

A mere suggestion here.

Aye.

But normally these clubs don't have an U23s set-up that is strolling to their respective league title.

A month ago people were all over this forum saying this was the worst squad in living memory and they all needed to be binned off with immediate effect, we win a couple of games and now the same people are insisting we don't need to buy anyone at all. Genius.
Or maybe we've changed the system to one that works with the players we've got?

Main areas of need where Centre Mid (due to Ganas abscence as much as anything), A creative wider player, a player who could be relied upon to be a very strong backup to lukaku or to play alongside him and a centre back (not counting covering spots like lb etc)

we got one of those positions mate, all Lookman is so far is someone who looks exciting initially - and we have seen a lot of those fail to deliver over a run of games (one is now playing in Italy due to it)

At best we have signed a staryign centre mid and a impact sub, still needed a lot lot more than that going into january, and a good set of results shouldnt have changed that need

Lookman is covering both wing and second striker. I think he's surprised everyone how good he has been. You can only trust the manager's judgement on that.

No, centre-back was not vital. It is needed, but only when Jags moves. That will now be in the summer, and we will get a player in. That player looks to be Keane. We may well have been in for him this window, but realistically it was always going to be tough. And there's no need to buy a stop-gap in that position atm, especially since the switch to 3 at the back.

Striker, I agree. But please stop acting like getting a reliable back-up is easy. It isn't. There isn't enough game time to go around mate. So I question why any good player would willingly come and sit on our bench? The best we could have hoped for is a Valencia-standard player (Belfodil) who could improve, or a youngster, realistically.

If we were in the cups, that would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back