Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koeman has made clear to the journo brigade that he will only bring players in who will go straight into the 18 and are better than what we have coming through in the u-23. The clear-out of players who did not feature or barely made it to the bench demonstrates this policy in action. He does not want a large squad with players who are best peripheral. If we can find someone who meets the criteria then we'll do a deal. If not, we won't.

Nailed it mate. I'd add in short of getting lads who aren't wanted at their clubs, it's hard to buy quality in January.

I'm very happy with this window, I don't see how we NEED players between now and the end of the season, can someone enlighten me?

Anything we get today is a bonus not a requirement. Well in Mosh, Koe, Walsh and Kenwright this window!

Well, it's only 16 weeks or thereabouts until the season ends and they look to have taken a calculated risk on getting through ok until then with the surplus players shipped out.

Would be nice for Kenny and Walsh to get an introduction to the first team in that period if possible, and hopefully Holgate and Davies will maintain their places more often than not. Davies and Lookman still need to be managed and I have no doubt they will be.

We then have about 12-14 weeks in the summer without the distractions and delays of last summer to show we mean business.

Just for once then, it would be nice if we had 80% of our business done weeks in advance of the first game, leaving TDD next summer just to add icing on the cake if possible. I think most would agree that the absolute last thing we want to see in a few months is getting to the end of July and not having done any significant business.

I can only assume now they are mostly clear on who they will be going for so they really need to pull out all the stops in the summer.

Last edited:
We've had 31 days, and months before that really because the need was obvious. If in the entirety of world football we cannot bring in a striker with the money we allegedly have, then we never will find one.

In short, I don't buy that excuse for a second.

Yep, Koeman said before the Jan window opened that him and Walsh had learnt from the summer window and everything was in place, and they were ready to go.

I think we'll be keeping the powder dry for the 48th window running ready to splash the dollar in the summer.......or something like that anyway.

GK
CB
AM
FB cover
2nd ST

all things we needed on the 1st Jan and all things I'm assuming they were aware we needed after "lessons learned" in the summer.

I'm not fuming, it's to be expected. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got anyone in now because this window looks like the plan was to get players who aren't contributing off the books and as many as possible.
This really.
If the players aint available, all the hand-wringing in the world from us aint gonna make em sign this window.
We could do with a second striker and another CB but if we cant get them, so be it.
It gives an opportunity for DCL and other younglings to show what they can do, if the opportunitiy is there in remaining 16 games.
We've done OK to bring Lookman and Schneids in during Jan, and to shift a massive % of the dead wood.
I'm impressed by Ron's ruthlessness there tbh
Nothing earth shattering in the window but good steady improvement of the squad.

Or the striker or type of striker we want is not available.

It's quite simple isn't it mate? And all we have to do is read the clues from Koeman, who has said multiple times that we won't buy for the sake of it, and yet we still get the usual crop of posters who completely ignore this to spout their 'we're skint' and 'we're a sell to buy club'. I accept it will take a statement signing to prove the point, but the absolute insistence that 'nothing has changed' on here is for me just blinkered moroseness for the sake of it...

Starting to wonder whether the management are happy with where we are this season and don't want to push on by making more signings.

Can't say I'd be impressed if that's the case. But maybe they think they can have a successful summer window and make a real go of all competitions next season. Shame, because there is still a lot of games and points to pick up this season.

Interesting how a huge amount of people who insisted we needed a striker, a centre back and a winger/playmaker are now perfectly happy with not getting one due to a good set of results and us shedding the deadwood.

Despite the fact that none of the young players who have broken through or who are the most highly rated in the academy play any of those three positions besides for Holgate - mwho is having to replace jagielka who at seasons start we thought woul;d be fine, so the same three needs exist int he team as they did at the start of the month, not been filled and people are now happy- and a large part of the reason given is - well we are out the cups and doesnt matter as we will finish 7th anyways, so basically - being a bit unsuccesful so far this season has actually made people push less to bring players in - interesting psychology, sure bill will be hpoping for many more years of the same if it stoips us having to spend much

As for shedding deadwood, yeah its absolutely fantastic, but the main reason it should be so, is we will no longer be paying rubbish players for nothing and wont have the risk of seeing substandard players in the squad, but what would have made it actually a huge lot better is having players of a much better calibre taking their spots, right now, we are literally an injury or two away from having to throw in academy lads who we have no idea if they are ready or not - not the way you want to develop the younger players by having to play them due to no viable option really is it?

Well, it's only 16 weeks or thereabouts until the season ends and they look to have taken a calculated risk on getting through ok until then with the suplus players shipped out.

Would be nice for Kenny and Walsh to get an introduction to the first team in that period if possible, and hopefully Holgate and Davies will maintain their places more often than not. Davies and Lookman still need to be managed and I have no doubt they will be.

We then have about 12-14 weeks in the summer without the distractions and delays of last summer to show we mean business.

Just for once then, it would be nice if we had 80% of our business done weeks in advance of the first game, leaving TDD next summer just to add icing on the cake if possible. I think most would agree that the absolute last thing we want to see in a few months is getting to the end of July and not having done any significant business.

I can only assume now they are mostly clear on who they will be going for so they really need to pull out all the stops in the summer.

Agree here mate.

That being said, we've kind of done that bit in bold this window haven't we...

Got the main deals done early, leaving us to just get that 'cherry' on top today, which is definitely needed but not 'vital' at this stage it would seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back