Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
After getting rid of all the deadwood time to
04ecdc9c38864cc45cfe40dffb9d863c.gif

Made up we've seen the end of Gibson and Cleverley. Niasse will be back here in a few months, and looks like we're stuck with Jagielka and Lennon and Kone until end of the season. Thought we might be able to lose two of those three. Deulofeu may come back, who knows, but can't imagine he'll play much of a role in the future as he isn't really cut out for this league.

With no injuries our squad can push for top 5 imo, but asking for no injuries in 4 months is a bit much, so would have been nice to see an extra striker brought in as well as a wide midfielder.

we always seem to be strengthening "in the next window"....or, "no point in spending now" is something we hear every January, which is fine, if your summer recruitment went well, but it didn't obviously.

Last summer was different though. We took an age to get Koeman in and then he had to properly assess an entire first team + academy to see who on first watch could play. Then he brings his own methods and fitness regimes in to see if his favoured players can even do what he wants them to do. Now we're seeing the last cycle of that with the players he's binning off and those in favour.

It's not like he joined in the summer 100% aware of what he needed to do to fix the squad. He will this summer though.

I said 3 weeks ago that if we signed MS and got rid of the deadwood I'd be happy. We have done good with Lookman and strengthened the under 23s.Not gonna throw toys outta pram now because we look to have our business done.

Last summer was different though. We took an age to get Koeman in and then he had to properly assess an entire first team + academy to see who on first watch could play. Then he brings his own methods and fitness regimes in to see if his favoured players can even do what he wants them to do. Now we're seeing the last cycle of that with the players he's binning off and those in favour.

It's not like he joined in the summer 100% aware of what he needed to do to fix the squad. He will this summer though.

I know and i'm not over reacting, I think we are moving 100% the right way.

I just would like to see more attacking options as I think its an area we are well short.

So if Lukaku picks up an injury?
But we can't just legislate for that mate.

I'm sorry, but realistically you're looking at a Valencia-standard player in this current situation.

No European football, and out of both cups.

What 'quality' striker is going to come and be happy to sit on the bench, in case Rom gets a knock?

It certainly wouldn't be one that improves on what we have.

The position I'd genuinely liked us to have strengthened is that new role that Kev/Lookman have played in this current system. The kind of 'loose forward' (to use a Rugby Lg term) playing off Rom.

We'll see what happens, but if the quality wasn't there/available, then as Koeman has said all along, he won't buy for the sake of it.

Maybe Lookman's form has lessened the need for it?

A month ago people were all over this forum saying this was the worst squad in living memory and they all needed to be binned off with immediate effect, we win a couple of games and now the same people are insisting we don't need to buy anyone at all. Genius.

Nailed it mate. I'd add in short of getting lads who aren't wanted at their clubs, it's hard to buy quality in January.

Same can be said about the summer as well mate

Unless your in a reegation fight or fighting for europe (to an extent that losing that one player would derail you) then honestly theres no difference in buying in January or Summer - excpet maybe a slightly inflated fee - which with the way transfer fees are rising atm would probably be what it will be inflated to in the summer anyways.

For example - Burnley have zero chance of qualification to Europe this season, they also have basically zero chance of being relegated (effectively with goal difference 11 points clear of the drop) so why would they not sell in january and yet sell in the Summer?

Additionally fringe players at clubs right now may see that they arent being used at all (Schneiderlin for example) and not fancy 6 months of sitting on the bench or out the squad altogether, come the summer a lot of those players will think they maybe have a new chance to impress/force their way in during pre season (especially given the rate of managerial sackings meaning a lot will have a new manager coming in)

The actual reason January is a huge amount quieter is that most clubs spend their budgets in the Summer and do so in a organized manner with a plan, meaning when January comes around then they arent facing it with the intention of making up for a utter mess of a summer window - like we supposedly where.

ATM we are putting lipstick on a pig by making out this window hasn't been vastly dissapointing and not what Moshiri, Koeman etc hinted strongly at

Have to disagree. Koeman rates Calvert-Lewin highly. The injury was unfortunate timing but he will be back. The player in the U-23 closest to a first team call up is Charsley who is an attacking midfielder/playmaker (and now well ahead of Dowell). Koeman's stance is these players may well be ready for next season and he will only bring in someone ahead of them who is clearly superior.

If someone was available that Koeman rates we'd have bought them. He pulled the plug on Belfodil for example not the board. He was also never sold on Gabbiadini in the summer. I understand the unease about our striker depth, I share it, but ultimately we have to trust the manager's judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back