Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't davek light.

This is pointing out the obvious we have no competition still in the squad and very little in the way of back ups all over the place. I'm sorry for not believing that maybe promoting a load of the academy is the magic solution, I tend to live in the real world where not all of the reserves are actually good enough to play this level.

Things will happen in the summer. We're not going down,mate. We can afford to be patient with this.

Barely anyone apart from the panic stricken relegation candidates are doing business.

Koeman's had a decent amount of time to assess the squad and has banished the dregs accordingly.

I for one would much rather Koeman tries out a kid until the end of the season over a dropkick like Kone.

The reserves are bossing their league y'know.

Last edited:
Yet that's what we did. And if you'd had read the full quote in context and not cherry picked out ten words, you'd see I have just said it was "not his fault as such as he simply couldn't perform the role asked."

So you end up agreeing me, yet calling what I said tosh. He's a poor player at the level we're at; would be a good player in the lower reaches of the Prem or Championship for sides who sit back and counter attack. If he was in the team now, even in this system, he'd be a liability because he doesn't have the brain or consistency to perform at the top level.

I read your post mate, I don't think we built our team around him. It's like saying we built our team around Stek because we kept asking him to hoof it up the pitch. We had no ideas really, we looked like 11 men running about, hoping that by sheer coincidence, 2 of the 11 would have the same idea at the same time and we'd score.

What I thought was tosh, was you calling him a poor player. And I, in case you in fact didn't read my post, said he's a "good player". Good and poor, I believe, are antonyms. Generally not indicative of an agreement :)

But as Danny says, he's dead now, so this is all in vain. RIP our sweet Congolese Prince.

Just feel the media have been briefed saying we have this war chest of £100 Million or whatever it was they all said the same £ amount.
He'd already purchased his stake in the club. Surely if he lied about the £100m and leaked it to the media he was setting himself up for a gigantic fall? He's a smart business man and that makes no sense.

He'd get more stick for saying we've got £100m to spend and not than he would for saying nothing and doing nothing. It makes no sense to me.

No, but stay for the fume, that's where the real magic happens.

This is what I've been waiting for. Wait, and GOT delivers.... lol

giphy.gif

*Sigh*

Not if you're good enough. Just look at Davies and Holgate, taking the piss out of genuine world class players.
We bought one and the other is the last one since Barkley moved up.

In that time two massively rated young kids in ledson and lundstrum proved they weren't good enough whilst another two threw their career away.

But my question still stands, how have we suddenly got an academy that magics up a load of back up players all of a sudden thst can play against the top teams in the league?

Isn't it always for 6 months though? And the self proclaimed failings of the summer (in the clubs words) were only for 4 months then as well.

This is swerving into talking about transfer business this window which I have said I'm happy with. I just don't see playing the kids for 4 months is any sign of competition in the league. We are closing in on 3 teams above us currently, so we decide we don't need any senior players brought in and promote the academy instead?
Yeah, and they're still ahead of us, with far better squads and good managers. And we can't buy who we want this window. Your argument is to spend money on senior players that we don't want. Just to 'strengthen' competition. But getting in players that just aren't any good doesn't help. It makes more sense to save the money, and play kids who, admittedly, generally also won't be good enough, but are a hell of a lot cheaper.

But no this isn't a past vs future debate. As I said earlier, how has the academy suddenly overnight got a squad full of ready made players ready to step up to our level? Instead of playing against reserve defenders, our players have to suddenly play against top class ones and experienced at the game. The gulf between the under 23 league and top 7 in the league is massive!
Kids get older every year mate. Eventually they become adults. And sometimes then they're good enough to play in the Prem. When they weren't before.

Because they were children.

He'd already purchased his stake in the club. Surely if he lied about the £100m and leaked it to the media he was setting himself up for a gigantic fall? He's a smart business man and that makes no sense.

He'd get more stick for saying we've got £100m to spend and not than he would for saying nothing and doing nothing. It makes no sense to me.

Some of the conspiracy theories on here would embarrass even the tinfoil hat brigade. lol

We bought one and the other is the last one since Barkley moved up.

In that time two massively rated young kids in ledson and lundstrum proved they weren't good enough whilst another two threw their career away.

But my question still stands, how have we suddenly got an academy that magics up a load of back up players all of a sudden thst can play against the top teams in the league?

Because we have.

I wont be wasting cake FFS.

Shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back