Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't davek light.

This is pointing out the obvious we have no competition still in the squad and very little in the way of back ups all over the place. I'm sorry for not believing that maybe promoting a load of the academy is the magic solution, I tend to live in the real world where not all of the reserves are actually good enough to play this level.

Sometimes a close knit group will perform better than a vast squad of players. We have one game a week, (if that) no need to have back ups for our back ups this season.

I also think we don't need competition for places, as all the players should now be fully aware that you will be shipped out if you don't perform.

Here's the problem - you've got a belief that the season isn't over and we can finish in the top six if we bought a few players.

With that mindset, sure, you probably are confused why we aren't bolstering the squad.

Thing is, in reality, the season is actually effectively over - so why pay £30m for a player now who won't make much/any difference to our league position, when the same player will be available for £20m in a few months?
For the results now. Apparantly we have got money remember? And we just had to use a massive wage bill increase up before the end of the season as well!

At the same time we aren't bolstering, we are removing competition from the squad as well. Yes most of the outs may never have played in that sense but by not replacing them either you run the competition down even more. Baines has no competition now, lukaku has no one to replace him literally. We have 3 wide players left, 4 including valencia but then one of those will mainly play from the bench for the time being.

The fact is the season isn't over, we have found form and there is still places to play for. Overtaking the kopite for example guarantees Europe, city and United drop enough points as they have been and there is that small chance of taking them. I'm talking about the team who beat city 4-0 here, no reason why we can't win more games like that against worse teams and push for an extra place or so to at least guarantee Europa.

We've had a few good results recently.
We've cleared out a lot of the crap.
We're likely to finish 7th this season no matter what we do in this window...
It looks as though there's a wider plan and a developing pipeline.
The academy/youth are looking good - I'd much rather us go with an academy lad than bring another Valencia.

Still, I'm a little underwhelmed. :oops:

Yeah, and they're still ahead of us, with far better squads and good managers. And we can't buy who we want this window. Your argument is to spend money on senior players that we don't want. Just to 'strengthen' competition. But getting in players that just aren't any good doesn't help. It makes more sense to save the money, and play kids who, admittedly, generally also won't be good enough, but are a hell of a lot cheaper.

Kids get older every year mate. Eventually they become adults. And sometimes then they're good enough to play in the Prem. When they weren't before.

Because they were children.

They might have much better squads, counts for nothing if we get more points than them come may.

We wanted 2 of the strikers I originally named, so for at least a brief moment the club did want them.

And again this idea of the kids playing back up suggests that a minimum of 5-6 are ready now compared to one every 5 years we normally have.

Sometimes a close knit group will perform better than a vast squad of players. We have one game a week, (if that) no need to have back ups for our back ups this season.

I also think we don't need competition for places, as all the players should now be fully aware that you will be shipped out if you don't perform.
That is true.

But in our case if we lose Ross we have no creativity in the middle. If we lose rom we have no goalscorer at all. That counts for something when we need the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back