Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of observations arising from browsing this thread:

1) Not spending a specified sum doesn't mean that said specified sum isn't available to spend. For instance, today I did not spend £400 booking a hotel in Miami for my holiday in March. I am however seeking a hotel for a couple days in Miami in March, and will do so if/when I can find one that meets my criteria.

2) There is a difference between HAVING to sell an asset to raise sufficient funds to buy a new asset, and selling assets that you no longer wish to own due to the fact that you have bought new assets in which render the existing asset less useful (or indeed superfluous) to you. It can be exceedingly difficult to accurately assess which of these two eventualities applies to a given situation if you don't have full knowledge of the cashflow and balance sheet.

A final point, and I am bemused that people need reminding of this: 99.9% of rich people don't get rich by being rubbish with money.... 100% of rich people who stay rich do so due to being good with money. 100% of rich people who become poor do so by being bad with money. The suggestion that we no longer need to sell unwanted players for cash, because we have a rich investor, is patent stupidity.

It's not selling players that worries me, it's not having enough quality signings to keep our star striker after this season that's a more pressing concern.

I don't think we're doing enough to suggest to him we're going places in the near future. His sale will fund our spending in the summer imo.

They might have much better squads, counts for nothing if we get more points than them come may.

We wanted 2 of the strikers I originally named, so for at least a brief moment the club did want them.

And again this idea of the kids playing back up suggests that a minimum of 5-6 are ready now compared to one every 5 years we normally have.
You're missing me entirely.

This year is a write off. Sure, maybe we break the top 6 and United win the LC and we go to Europa. But it's FAR more likely that we finish 7th. So should we blow 30 million down a well because it might help us in our fight for 6th this year? Or because it consolidates 7th?

No, who gives a damn? This year is mostly over (although of course I hope I'm wrong). I think the club sees it that way too - Europa would be a nice cherry on top of the season, but it's not worth blowing up the plans for the future for.

Which is the essential core of your argument - that we so desperately need bodies that we should ignore a plan to slowly build for the future and go buy some squad filler for now.

It makes quite a bit more sense to say anywhere between 6-10th is fine - that's our target. Now, let's keep the powder dry unless we can get players we're certain of (because things are inherently harder to do in January), in the meantime we can use this 6 months to find out which players pushing on the door of the first team are ready or good enough while hopefully getting a much better idea of where to go from here.

Summer - whole new way of operating, mistakes were made
January - Patient, got our main targets that we could, willing to wait for the players we are dead sure of
Summer 2 - Will explain what Moshiri has planned, slow steady growth that seems evidenced by the past two windows, or something more drastic

I'm willing to admit to wishful thinking, but my reading of this is to get us all cleaned up and in a place that dropping £60 million on a player isn't just a gross mismanagement of funds (which, looking at our squad, it is).

It's not selling players that worries me, it's not having enough quality signings to keep our star striker after this season that's a more pressing concern.

I don't think we're doing enough to suggest to him we're going places in the near future. His sale will fund our spending in the summer imo.
This 100%

You can only tell a guy to stick around, we have a vision, a plan, etc etc so many times before he calls you on it. It's going to happen and it will be a shame

That is true.

But in our case if we lose Ross we have no creativity in the middle. If we lose rom we have no goalscorer at all. That counts for something when we need the point.

Davies looks like he can get foward and thread a pass or could play Lookman as a two up top. We have some options, if we brought in a load of players do we drop the ones that are likely to be starters next season to play these or do we sit them on the bench? I know what you are saying, it's Murphy's law when we are so thin on the ground you are bound to get injuries and it could upset our season, but with the team we have we should still get 7th and then it's up to who wins the cups.

I still don't think there are loads of world class players that want to come to us, no matter how much we pay. So do we throw money at similar types of players that we have already spent the whole window turfing out? Seems a waste to me, for the next few years we should look to get 2 Morgan type signings every window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back