Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just waiting for the players we tried to sign at the last minute but missed out on stories. Moshiri will probably be on talksport with Jim white tomorrow saying how we almost signed 4 players....

I wonder if RK realised the changes that needed to be made when he signed first for Everton...I doubt it.

I imagine that it must have been a very difficult six months for him....and in part at least explains how Holgate, Calvert-Lewin, Davies and Lookman got their chance.

It also makes me think that this ruthless cull leaving us with a very small squad will mean that one or two more youngsters may get a chance.
In particular , Pennington, I think.

I'm pleased with the window. No last minute panicking as it should be ! Yes Niasse I'm thinking of you.

We removed a bunch of deadwood from the squad probably saving us nearly 10 million in wages. We don't need a large squad with no European football and out of both cups. Plus we have some promising youth coming through. I know some people don't get the money side but you have to remember it doesn't matter how wealthy we are there is not an infinite supply. So we have to make the best use of the cash we have especially as our competition are even richer !

Most importantly we added two first team players who although very early days are looking like astute signings.

I'm sad about Del though! I just hope he comes back in the summer all fired up to play for us.

A transfer window without any rhyme or reason.

Yes, get players out on loans or sold that you don't want or need. But how does that help for next season if you dont get players in now to bed in for next season and allow us to get a head start?

A dijointed and I'll thought out strategy at play here. Once the dust settles and the people who are crowing about getting rid of players have a think about it they'll see it's been a missed opportunity.

I honestly don't think anyone down there at that club have a clue what the plan is.
Sometimes I wish Martinez was reinstated just to shut you up.

Then I realise that, apart from his first season when he had the luxury of a Moyes defence to build on that he hadn't coached the defending ability out of yet, he was unquestionably a clueless loon that only knew one descriptive word for a performance and must've been constantly on uppers to think it ever warranted being used to describe his teams performances.

I know you are the forum wind-up merchant but it is becoming more tedious than watching Jags pass to Distin, who passes to Howard, out to Distin, back to Howard, out to Jags, up to Barry, back to Jags, back to Howard, up to Jags, out for a throw. 70% possession, other team scoring from a corner. Defeat. Repeat ad infinitum. Team were phenomenal though.

Sometimes I wish Martinez was reinstated just to shut you up.

Then I realise that, apart from his first season when he had the luxury of a Moyes defence to build on that he hadn't coached the defending ability out of yet, he was unquestionably a clueless loon that only knew one descriptive word for a performance and must've been constantly on uppers to think it ever warranted being used to describe his teams performances.

I know you are the forum wind-up merchant but it is becoming more tedious than watching Jags pass to Distin, who passes to Howard, out to Distin, back to Howard, out to Jags, up to Barry, back to Jags, back to Howard, up to Jags, out for a throw. 70% possession, other team scoring from a corner. Defeat. Repeat ad infinitum. Team were phenomenal though.
In here.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/martinez-new-belgium-head-coach.90386/page-117

not for the best if he's not in the managers intentions. Even the kids are ahead of him. Just a drain on the wages.

Not a great player for us but, doesn't appear to be disruptive or kicked up a fuss.
He's gone at the end of the season anyway, until then, he has some experience that he can pass on to the youngsters.

Yes, and therefore an almighty rebuilding job that will now have to be done over the next two windows this summer and next January instead of this January and this summer.

It was a thoughtless fire sale with almost no attempt to construct.
I don't really agree Dave.
Even the majority of fans could see that most of the players that were moved on had no future at Everton.
Deulofeu is probably the one player the majority of us were sad to see leave.

I would not say the strategy was disjointed at all. I would say it was very clearly thought out... brutal, but determined and decisive.

We all had long since come to accept there were a lot of players in the squad that were not Everton standard.
Schneiderlin and Lookman were part of the construct and the failed attempt to sign Keane as well.

I think Koeman has a very clear vision for the future, time will tell if it is successful.

A transfer window without any rhyme or reason.

Yes, get players out on loans or sold that you don't want or need. But how does that help for next season if you dont get players in now to bed in for next season and allow us to get a head start?

A dijointed and I'll thought out strategy at play here. Once the dust settles and the people who are crowing about getting rid of players have a think about it they'll see it's been a missed opportunity.

I honestly don't think anyone down there at that club have a clue what the plan is.
No point in getting players in now... Seasons over, nothing to play for remember. We'll start again in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back