Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or 7 clean sheets out of the last 22 and two cup losses thrown in for good measure.

We can pretend the defensive lineup hasn't changed since the earliest games and quote a clean sheet stat to further a poor agenda, or acknowledge the obvious fact that we currently have a top 4 defence in the league. Top 4 gets one to the champions league.

But lets play pretend instead :-)

Or 7 clean sheets out of the last 22 and two cup losses thrown in for good measure.
Everything to suit your argument, Defense is improving as the season goes on, it will be tested tonight with Stoke and the long ball game they have. But saying it hasn't improved since Martinez left is just wrong.

There was nothing perverse about getting rid of the likes of Cleverley, Gibson or Niasse. It was completely justified delight, for a variety of reasons (not good enough, sicknote, clown on roller skates etc.). And I don't agree that we should just be waving players in as we get rid of others, because as we know, the prices in January are inflated. If there isn't significant investment in the summer I will see your point, but at the moment, I am personally happy with what we have done and what we are doing.

They are if Koeman is signing the cheques.

In the summer we wont get the number of crucial positions filled. It'll drag on to the next January window - minimum.

We are in catchup mode now and this Koeman Everton project is going to be the football equivalent of painting the Forth Bridge: take so long to paint it from one side to the other that the side you started on needs a new coat of paint.

Everything to suit your argument, Defense is improving as the season goes on, it will be tested tonight with Stoke and the long ball game they have. But saying it hasn't improved since Martinez left is just wrong.
Oh sorry mate, wasn't I supposed to use ALL the stats?

I was told earlier I was being selective with cherry picking examples of defensive tardiness, so i thought I'd get round that accusation by throwing the whole of the data in.

Apparently that's not credible either.

Un-be-kin-lievable.

Koeman was critical after the summer that he didn't get more in; he was talking this January of getting maybe 4/5 in.

How on earth is the last two windows anything other than a massive failure to invest. The numbers the feller who should be insisting on bringing in are not matched by what's happened.

I think the overall mood up to 11pm last night was one of some perverse delight at getting the squad gutted...then when that window slammed shut for another 6 months many are realising that we should have need getting players in as quickly as we were waving others out the door.
Except Dave he picked up players through the season by lads coming through the ranks. I'm sure if you'd asked him on August 31st if Holgate and Davies would have made the impact they did, the answer would have been no. Essentially DCL/Holgate/Davies have filled in the 3 of the needed people in. We then bought in a much needed central midfielder and a lad that based on first impressions is going to develop into something special.

The 'perverse pleasure' is seeing us get rid of dead wood who weren't good enough for Everton FC, in most cases not good enough for the Premier League. There's nobody that we got rid of that could be categorised as irreplaceable and that couldn't be replaced by an academy player on the bench. The Norwich game and the shifts that Davies has been putting in have shown that these lads have the bit between their teeth and will give it a good go, exactly what everyone was crying out for earlier in the season.

Like people have said, there were no big transfers as nobody is going to sell their best players in the January window and play Russian Roulette with finding a replacement. January is the equivalent of going through Tesco's bins after hours, you know, like how you got a brain.

It's very thin. Imo Williams hasn't worked out. Schneiderlin gives us pretty much the same as we had in the squad already and was a waste of resources, Holgate was already established. Davies was someone this manager would never have brought in himself. Bolasie is (well, let's just leave it there...).

We have left ourselves way short this January and it means one thing: that will have to be work done in the future, putting us behind schedule.

As I've previously said - pure clickbait, you really are the forum's version of Talksport's Adrian Durham!

Williams hasn't worked out - Your internet connection must be so poor that you haven't noticed we've stopped shipping goals for fun! When row z is required that's where he puts it, and he's an organiser! Suspect if you ask Holgate, by the way he's the young lad playing on the right hand side of the back three, he enjoys playing alongside and learning from a proper defender!
Schneiderlin gives us pretty much the same............. Absolute load of tosh! He's a level above anything else we have in that position, more mobile and quicker than Barry who he will replace in the team sooner (possibly even tonight) rather than later! Get a good pre season under his belt and he'll be a key player in this team next year!
Holgate was already established - ???????? No doubt you'll you refer me to your man's thread, but I'm not sure many on here would agree he was established under Martinez! He's come into the team under Koeman's stewardship, along with Tom Davies, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and more recently Lookman - hey but Koeman playing and giving the younger lad's a chance doesn't sit well with your "agenda" does it?

Big job in the summer to identify the right players to come in, work hard and suit koemans style of play.

Think we will mostly be aiming for players in the 23-28 category and bring the average age of the squad down a bit as we phase out the likes of barry, jagielka and even to an extent baines (still a few years left in his case)

For me the midfield is sound, we have a great set of young hungry players there with qualify through out. The only thing we lack is a Silva, mata type player which I'm sure will be a target.

For me the main positions in the summer to bring in for a champions league challenge would be :

Goalkeeper, Joel needs a run to see if he can be our keeper. He has improved massively IMO and could well save us the money, if he continues his performances this would not be a priority for me, instead we should identify a young goalkeeper for loedwijks go improve and sit on the bench / play for the under 23's.

Center half - we need quality in there, maybe height too. Be it Keane, manolas, or soneobd left field that we've kept an eye on, someone who can play in a 3 or in a 2 comfortably. This has to be a priority for me. And done as quickly as possible when the season ends.

Striker - we have plenty of "second strikers" players who play off the target man and buzz around them, lookman, Barkley, mirallas, bolasie can all do that job, what we lack is someone who can hold the ball up, be strong in the air and hold the ball up to bring others into play. I'd honestly love us to get Rondon, but if not someone of his mould.

Left back - we need a quality long term replacement for baines, which is going go be one of the hardest bits of business we can do. Ideally we could get someone like Ricardo Rodriguez, unlikely though so I'd make a early move for cresswell.

Other than that some youth players to develop and maybe a winger and we'd be set .

Koeman was critical after the summer that he didn't get more in; he was talking this January of getting maybe 4/5 in.

How on earth is the last two windows anything other than a massive failure to invest. The numbers the feller who should be insisting on bringing in are not matched by what's happened.

I think the overall mood up to 11pm last night was one of some perverse delight at getting the squad gutted...then when that window slammed shut for another 6 months many are realising that we should have need getting players in as quickly as we were waving others out the door.

The market was crazy overvalued this year. Case in point we needed 25M for bolasie. The market is starting to cool a bit. Case in point the sales of Payet, Depay, Berihino and Van Aaronholt. So it probably made a little sense that we didn't dive right in. If anything we should have waited on Scheinderlein because I'm guessing he could have dropped to the 15M range by the end of this transfer window. There will be plenty of opportunties to fume if we stand pat in the offseason.

They are if Koeman is signing the cheques.

In the summer we wont get the number of crucial positions filled. It'll drag on to the next January window - minimum.

We are in catchup mode now and this Koeman Everton project is going to be the football equivalent of painting the Forth Bridge: take so long to paint it from one side to the other that the side you started on needs a new coat of paint.

It does take time to turn a club around. Unless you are throwing £300m at it on day one, it will take 4 or 5 windows to get the squad you need, and even then you have to keep investing because, as you say, some players will be reaching the end. You can build a top 10 club for £100m over a couple of windows, but we, allegedly are aiming higher than that.

Except Dave he picked up players through the season by lads coming through the ranks. I'm sure if you'd asked him on August 31st if Holgate and Davies would have made the impact they did, the answer would have been no. Essentially DCL/Holgate/Davies have filled in the 3 of the needed people in. We then bought in a much needed central midfielder and a lad that based on first impressions is going to develop into something special.

The 'perverse pleasure' is seeing us get rid of dead wood who weren't good enough for Everton FC, in most cases not good enough for the Premier League. There's nobody that we got rid of that could be categorised as irreplaceable and that couldn't be replaced by an academy player on the bench. The Norwich game and the shifts that Davies has been putting in have shown that these lads have the bit between their teeth and will give it a good go, exactly what everyone was crying out for earlier in the season.

Like people have said, there were no big transfers as nobody is going to sell their best players in the January window and play Russian Roulette with finding a replacement. January is the equivalent of going through Tesco's bins after hours, you know, like how you got a brain.

i was going like this comment but your last 6 words are mind blowingly rude.

Or 7 clean sheets out of the last 22

We've only got to find another 4 out of the next 16 games to eclipse what his predecessor had achieved in the previous 2 seasons.

23 goals conceded in 22 games Dave - 32 and 34 to the same point the previous 2 years, those are the simple facts mate. We've improved defensively under Koeman - the end.

We've only got to find another 4 out of the next 16 games to eclipse what his predecessor had achieved in the previous 2 seasons.

23 goals conceded in 22 games Dave - 32 and 34 to the same point the previous 2 years, those are the simple facts mate. We've improved defensively under Koeman - the end.

Feel like im sticking up for @davek bit too much here lol

But...Koeman seemed to simply isolate lukaku by playing the midfield alot deeper and closer to the defence for many games this season. This of course nullified our attack and made barkley especially look hopeless but helped the defensive stats.

However, we have looked alot better defensively which is down to davies in as well as the added pace of holgate imo and i think with barry out we will be able to push up alot more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back