Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like im sticking up for @davek bit too much here lol

But...Koeman seemed to simply isolate lukaku by playing the midfield alot deeper and closer to the defence for many games this season. This of course nullified our attack and made barkley especially look hopeless but helped the defensive stats.

However, we have looked alot better defensively which is down to davies in as well as the added pace of holgate imo and i think with barry out we will be able to push up alot more
Everybody knows you build a club from the defence forward. Well, nearly everyone!

Stop being paranoidlol

i knew who he was talking about...find it a bit odd that ive lost the Koeman hater mantle so soon tbh lol

Whats your view on the young keepers we have, do you think any are premiership potential? The reason i ask of course is due to the failed ramsdale bid...

Feel like im sticking up for @davek bit too much here lol

But...Koeman seemed to simply isolate lukaku by playing the midfield alot deeper and closer to the defence for many games this season. This of course nullified our attack and made barkley especially look hopeless but helped the defensive stats.

However, we have looked alot better defensively which is down to davies in as well as the added pace of holgate imo and i think with barry out we will be able to push up alot more

Only we've scored more goals this season that we had to the same point last year mate :)

Isn't that what a manager is paid to do, find solutions rather than square peg, round hole week after week

Well my point was about the formation change and personnel changes inproving both aspects of goals scored and conceded....i remember @davek saying we looked better defensively as we were deeper which i agreed with at the time + id have been surprised if we were scoring alot of goals compared to previous seasons during that time.

i like the new system ;)

The market was crazy overvalued this year. Case in point we needed 25M for bolasie. The market is starting to cool a bit. Case in point the sales of Payet, Depay, Berihino and Van Aaronholt. So it probably made a little sense that we didn't dive right in. If anything we should have waited on Scheinderlein because I'm guessing he could have dropped to the 15M range by the end of this transfer window. There will be plenty of opportunties to fume if we stand pat in the offseason.
Glad I'm not that only one arguing this.

This gets to the heart of it: we have seen the squad come down in numbers, yet we need as a matter of urgency a very good GK; to get both FB positions properly sorted out in terms of strength in depth; we have a CB unit unfit for purpose as it's short of one in number right now and maybe even two by the summer; a winger situation that is nowhere near healthy, with one long term absentee who might not be as good when he comes back (and his good wasn't good enough to begin with), a 19 years old plus Mirallas - who will always let you down; we have to bring in a creative player up front and a new attacker.

For us to have that ^^^ much rebuilding to do and having already spent £70+M is nothing short of alarming.

If there's a plan being rolled out here it doesn't make sense to me.

It does take time to turn a club around. Unless you are throwing £300m at it on day one, it will take 4 or 5 windows to get the squad you need, and even then you have to keep investing because, as you say, some players will be reaching the end. You can build a top 10 club for £100m over a couple of windows, but we, allegedly are aiming higher than that.
Four or five windows isn't going to fly. No one gets 2 and a half seasons to sort a squad out. The reason this feller will need one is because he refuses to adapt what's here and buy sensibly in the market. Everton the biggest spenders in the PL this January. FFS,. it's utterly laughable that we've paid premium rates on mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back